Lets talk about fifth wheels again

DieselJay

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2005 Ford Superduty
Sorry to beat a dead horse here but I'm also at a crossroads. I'm in a pretty special situation because one of my best friends is a general sales manager for a Ford dealer so I'm getting a pretty smokin price but I still can't decide between either a F350 Tremor or a F350 Dually. Here's my predicament...

I tow quite a bit and do plan on taking longer trips (state to state). One of my biggest issues right now is tire inflation on my current F250. I'm constantly airing up and down when I'm hooked up or vs. daily driving. It's a PITA to me. With a dually I don't have to worry about that any longer. Set it and forget it. My fifth wheel is only 13,500 fully loaded so I'm not dealing with HUGE numbers although it's still a forty footer.

I just get a half mast chubby every time I see a Tremor and I've wanted one since they were announced. What would you do in my shoes?

Pros for both:
Tremor looks way cooler
Dually sits lower and tows more level and planted
Dually tires don't need as much attention
Tremor has PLENTY of power and payload to handle my fiver. (with the 3:55 gears and 11,500 GVWR package)
Dually can have 4:10s... hmmmm

Thanks for listening!

Dontcha hate compromise???

Sounds to me you're going to have to go with the Dually, and just lust after a Tremor.

Im new to the SD realm, and dont have it yet. However i had a 150 EcoBeast with max tow. I used that to tow my 35' (tunge to bumper) toy hauler. loaded was around 10K. I had no issues with it. However i want more power and more truck to handle it better. From my understanding a 350 Tremor diesel will handle mine like a dream. I have never towed a 5er. But i fell like the Tremor would do fine. Only think i see the dully would be better is for the stace/stability with yours being longer. But like i said im new to the SD world.

My 2 cents no brainer Tremor! Way cooler ! Not that I know from experience but there's probably no doubt the dually would tow awesome but Im thinking the tremor would do fine too !

Do you know your pin weight?? Tremor is still a short bed which is much less payload than a long bed.

Of course a duelly wins all around.

If you tow a lot and heavy I would go with a dually. You'll be glad you did.

Do you know your pin weight?? Tremor is still a short bed which is much less payload than a long bed.

Of course a duelly wins all around.

I'm at 2100 pounds pin weight. I'm right at the max on my F250 w/ 10,000 GVWR. Having said that, my truck pulls and stops with no issues. I had a dually before and yes, it's a dream when it comes to stability and the trucks just stay planted without any "push around" from the fifth wheels. The tremor has the 11,500 GVWR option and I know that is plenty for me. I also use an Andersen Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch which weighs only 35 pounds. Off topic, best damn hitch I've ever had.

So my question is how often will you be towing/how many miles at a time? If its a couple days a month (like 1 trip a month) do you want a dully all the time?

That is why i gave up getting a duely. I only tow like one trip a month (with the exception of a longer summer break trip.

if your doing a lot of long trips i see the duely as a winner. But if its a few small and a long every now and then, then is it needed.

Basically big question is tow driving amount vs none tow driving amount.

So my question is how often will you be towing/how many miles at a time? If its a couple days a month (like 1 trip a month) do you want a dully all the time?

That is why i gave up getting a duely. I only tow like one trip a month (with the exception of a longer summer break trip.

if your doing a lot of long trips i see the duely as a winner. But if its a few small and a long every now and then, then is it needed.

Basically big question is tow driving amount vs none tow driving amount.

Our longest trip will be CA to Florida and back (summer 2022) but other than that everything else we do will be pretty local. We take our rig out every other month on average. We are planning on some trips as well like Zion, Grand Tetons, etc....

My trailer is same specs... I tow maybe 2k to 3k miles a year. One long trip and a lot of short ones. I also have Anderson hitch, concur on it being the only way to go.

I had a Ram 3500 and was torn on Tremor. Having towed 800 or so miles so far, I love it. My concerns were the height more than anything, but that has not proved to be an issue. It does squat, so I just finished putting bags on it and am looking forward to see how that helps level the truck out and how it rides, it was a tad nose high.

If I was going to full time tow, I might lean toward the F-450 or dual wheels, but for my needs it works out great and I am rally happy withe the Tremor.

20200618_094705.jpg

FWIW, 2015 Momentum 350M is the trailer. 2900 Pin, 29', 13K or so dry.

My trailer is same specs... I tow maybe 2k to 3k miles a year. One long trip and a lot of short ones. I also have Anderson hitch, concur on it being the only way to go.

I had a Ram 3500 and was torn on Tremor. Having towed 800 or so miles so far, I love it. My concerns were the height more than anything, but that has not proved to be an issue. It does squat, so I just finished putting bags on it and am looking forward to see how that helps level the truck out and how it rides, it was a tad nose high.

If I was going to full time tow, I might lean toward the F-450 or dual wheels, but for my needs it works out great and I am rally happy withe the Tremor.

View attachment 2872

FWIW, 2015 Momentum 350M is the trailer. 2900 Pin, 29', 13K or so dry.
Well... I'm officially going with the Tremor. My current truck (2005 F250 6.0) is lifted 6" but funny enough, it's the same height as my friends stock Tremor. I'm a little nose high as well. How's yours doing with the bags?

Well... I'm officially going with the Tremor. My current truck (2005 F250 6.0) is lifted 6" but funny enough, it's the same height as my friends stock Tremor. I'm a little nose high as well. How's yours doing with the bags?

Looking at this thread helped ease my conscious. Guess I'm going to see my dealer Monday.

Back