King Ranch pkg without moon roof - possible?

Sendit6.5

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2007 Ford F-350 King Ranch FX4
I love the leather color of the King Ranch package but I DO NOT want a moon roof. Is it possible (in normal times) to find one or order the KR package without that glass roof? Toying with trying to order a truck as soon as it’s possible to order the 2022 models.

Longrangehunter

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F-350 King Ranch Tremor (On order)
Current Ride #2
2001 K2500 8.1 Suburban
I love the leather color of the King Ranch package but I DO NOT want a moon roof. Is it possible (in normal times) to find one or order the KR package without that glass roof? Toying with trying to order a truck as soon as it’s possible to order the 2022 models.
Yes, if you don't get the KR Ultimate Package, which to me kind of defeats the purpose of going KR. At that point you basically have a cowboy Lariat.

Get on the website and play around with the build and price tool.

JDP

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
Retired Army
Current Ride
2001 GMC 2500HD
The reason I went with the platinum instead of the KR was because of that stupid panoramic sunroof. When I ordered mine the dealer said there was no way to delete the sunroof from the package. When I picked up my truck, the dealer told me that for the 2022, it was possible to delete the sunroof from the KR package. It may take some serious digging on the option numbers and phone calls higher than your dealer to make that happen, but its worth a shot.

RedZilla

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F350 King Ranch Tremor - Big Red (RedZilla) Rapid Red/Stone Gray
Current Ride #2
05 F150 Lariat - Ol' Red
For the KR it's part of the Ultimate Pkg. Leave that off and you will get a truck with no moon roof.

Last edited:

stufarmer

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
19' F450 KR .. 20' Lincoln Continental
Been there, tried this. Ford will not delete the Sunroof from the King Ranch with Ultimate Pkg. Even if you're willing to pay for it.
I wanted a premium truck w/o a Sunroof and with Chrome Bumpers. King Ranch Ultimate comes with a Sunroof, Platinum's come with Painted Bumpers. I now have a very nice Lariat Ultimate. Lariats miss a few of the small items that make up the premium trims. Like Aluminum A/C Vents, not plastic. Multi-Adjustable Headrest, Upholstery colored headliners, Real Wood trim instead of plastic, Massaging seats, Softer leather .. If I were to do it over again. I would have gotten a Platinum and traded someone for their Chrome bumpers.

RedZilla

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
21 F350 King Ranch Tremor - Big Red (RedZilla) Rapid Red/Stone Gray
Current Ride #2
05 F150 Lariat - Ol' Red
Been there, tried this. Ford will not delete the Sunroof from the King Ranch with Ultimate Pkg. Even if you're willing to pay for it.
I wanted a premium truck w/o a Sunroof and with Chrome Bumpers. King Ranch Ultimate comes with a Sunroof, Platinum's come with Painted Bumpers. I now have a very nice Lariat Ultimate. Lariats miss a few of the small items that make up the premium trims. Like Aluminum A/C Vents, not plastic. Multi-Adjustable Headrest, Upholstery colored headliners, Real Wood trim instead of plastic, Massaging seats, Softer leather .. If I were to do it over again. I would have gotten a Platinum and traded someone for their Chrome bumpers.
That would have been the easiest way. I just wish ford would make the moon roof a stand alone option for all the upper models.

ICT Tremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F350 KR Ultimate Tremor
It is kinda weird this is such a recurrent topic of discussion, with even dealers apparently not knowing what they're talking about.

KR without sunroof has always been available. If you want a KR with the sunroof you get a KR ultimate; want a KR without one you get the standard KR. The active motion seats are also directly tied to the ultimate package in KR trim, along with the sunroof, so if you want one or the other it is all or nothing with regards to KR ultimate versus KR standard.

Personally, with a KR ultimate, I could take or leave either the sunroof or the seats. Where I live the sunroof is good for maybe 6 months of the year with the shade back, and WAY less actually open. It also semi-terrifies me from a long-term ownership perspective. And the biggest upside to me on the active motion seats is that they are a differently-structured seat and therefore a considerably softer seat structure (IMO). The active motion seats in the KR ultimate and the Platinum are damn comfortable, and it has really nothing to do with the leather used.

The way my order worked with my "gotta-haves" meant the incremental add of ultimate with sunroof and active motion seats was only another $500 or so. Seemed like a no brainer at that figure.

Last edited:

stufarmer

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Air Force
Current Ride
19' F450 KR .. 20' Lincoln Continental
It is kinda weird this is such a recurrent topic of discussion, with even dealers apparently not knowing what they're talking about.

KR without sunroof has always been available. If you want a KR with the sunroof you get a KR ultimate; want a KR without one you get the standard KR. The active motion seats are also directly tied to the ultimate package in KR trim, along with the sunroof, so if you want one or the other it is all or nothing with regards to KR ultimate versus KR standard.

Personally, with a KR ultimate, I could take or leave either the sunroof or the seats. Where I live the sunroof is good for maybe 6 months of the year with the shade back, and WAY less actually open. It also semi-terrifies me from a long-term ownership perspective. And the biggest upside to me on the active motion seats is that they are a differently-structured seat and therefore a considerably softer seat structure (IMO). The active motion seats in the KR ultimate and the Platinum are damn comfortable, and it has really nothing to do with the leather used.

The way my order worked with my "gotta-haves" meant the incremental add of ultimate with sunroof and active motion seats was only another $500 or so. Seemed like a no brainer at that figure.
On a base King Ranch, when you add Power Boards it automatically defaulted to the Ultimate Pkg. Or, it did in January of 21. Trust me, I tried. I could give a shit about the few dollars involved, I deal with the Largest selling Ford Dealer in the World. They couldn't get it done. I had 2 17's, one 19' Super Duty's with Sunroofs. I'll be damned if I'm going to have another. Welcome Lariat Ultimate.

penn-stomper

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Gladiator Sport
Current Ride #2
2018 Durango GT
Personally, with a KR ultimate, I could take or leave either the sunroof or the seats. Where I live the sunroof is good for maybe 6 months of the year with the shade back, and WAY less actually open. It also semi-terrifies me from a long-term ownership perspective.

I used to have a Porsche 911 with a targa top and I got leaked on all the time. I love the look of these modern pano's, but at the end of the day I don't want it on my build for the same long-term ownership reasons.

OP
S

Sendit6.5

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride

Thanks so much for the detailed reply - it’s exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. Luckily, I have plenty of time to plan this buy since the outrageous pricing caused by the chip shortage means it’s going to be a while (I think) before I actually make my purchase. Even my buddy and personal mechanic that’s the lead mechanic and soon to be parts manager for our biggest Ford Dealer is telling me to wait to buy. 😥 I can get a special deal through him but he said I’ll over-pay right now and if I wait it out, rebates and incentives will eventually return and I won’t get forced to buy at sticker price. I’m itching to go but I’m not willing to pay $10k-$15k extra, just to scratch an itch. He checked with the GM for the dealership and that guy said that a KR can be ordered sans the moon roof - FWIW. First time I’ve ever been in a position where I CAN afford whatever I want (even though I can’t help but be kinda frugal) and THIS is the situation!! Haha! Go figure!

Anyway, you raised some great point for me to consider! I don’t really know what, EXACTLY, is included with an “ultimate package;” or any other package, for that matter. Is there somewhere on Ford’s website where you can go and see what items are included in each “package?”

The only thing I really like about the KR, specifically, is the saddle leather color of the seats. That’s one thing I definitely want in any new truck I get. I see from an earlier post that the same or a similar color, called ‘cowboy leather,’ can be chosen? Since I don’t really know what’s included or not included with a particular “package” I’m not really tied to any particular one. Not yet, anyway. If I can find a reference resource for what’s in each package, that’d help me a lot. Do you know if you can order/configure a truck from scratch - just choosing features a-la-carte - or do you have to pick packages and then delete or add a few optional features? I’m pretty sure I’m going to (eventually) go the route of ordering what I want instead of trying to find a pre-configured truck, since I can get my best deal by purchasing through my friend. Plus, that way, my buddy gets the commission and I can repay him (a little) for all the free labor he’s given me and the times he’s left work to come rescue me when I broke down WAY out in the middle of the ranch!

OP
S

Sendit6.5

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
On a base King Ranch, when you add Power Boards it automatically defaulted to the Ultimate Pkg. Or, it did in January of 21. Trust me, I tried. I could give a shit about the few dollars involved, I deal with the Largest selling Ford Dealer in the World. They couldn't get it done. I had 2 17's, one 19' Super Duty's with Sunroofs. I'll be damned if I'm going to have another. Welcome Lariat Ultimate.

That’s interesting! When you say, “power boards” do you mean running boards that fold up out of sight when you’re parked or driving? I wonder if there’s some sort of strings similarly attaching the moon roof to anything; or whether it’s a totally stand-alone option? Our biggest local dealer said the KR CAN be ordered without the moon roof but I didn’t think to ask whether it’s integrally attached to a package. Do you know if there’s somewhere that I can go see a list of all the “packages” that Ford offers in the Super Duties; and all the features that are included with each of those packages?

If I’m going to order the truck of my dreams (the 2022 with the new interior and 12” screen) I want to spend the time to carefully configure it. Plus, I’ll want to run some of my choices by everyone here to get some experienced input. Since I’m going to wait a bit, until pricing comes back down a little closer to normal (already pretty ridiculous), I’ve got the time to get all this figured out. Lol.

I have a suspicion that I may end up with a Lariat ultimate package truck. The things I KNOW I want are a saddle leather color for the leather seats, heated/cooled seats, 12” screen and a really nice stereo with subwoofer. Outside, I don’t want any chrome and I want a really dark grey paint. I want the Tremor package with a tow package; and I’d like to have some plugs in the bed area for plugging in tools or a stereo. I’m still a bit undecided on the 250 or 350. I currently drive a long bed 2007 F350 but I hate (and my wife despises) the way it rides unloaded! I love my truck except that it beats me to death driving around the S Texas ranch I manage. I’m not getting a long bed for the new truck (I’m keeping my 2007 for a work-only truck) and that will help a little but I’ll have to test out these new ones. I’m sure the suspensions have come a long way since ‘07. Also, I’m going to have a set of Sulastic springs installed in my ‘07 to see if they help the beast’s ride. IF THEY DO, I’d lean more heavily towards the 350. If it weren’t for the way they ride, I’d go with the F350 for sure - I like the added capacity. But as I get older, the ride becomes a bigger and bigger concern. Lol

ccw

Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2009 F-150 XLT
Current Ride #2
1980 Mazda RX-7
Ford Tremor Supporting Member Badge