Kill Switch

It’s great in the cold. Rather than having to venture out into the cold, start your truck and then either:
1. Lock the truck with the keys in it, and hope no one smashes a window and takes the truck.
2. Sit in the cold truck while being cold waiting for it to warm up.

You can just hit a button while inside and have your truck warmed up by the time you get to it.
Or in Texas, have your car cooled before you get inside and melt on the leather.

Almost any kill switch application will not allow you to remotely start. I had Revelco installed. Yes, it's expensive, but I am confident the only way it will be stolen is a tow truck. The person who installed it, I asked him since he is the installer how long would it take him to circumvent the system he installed knowing all he knows. He said 45 minutes to one hour. These people want to be in and out, not attract attention. Revelco has been in business I believe 10+ years. Not one of their vehicles has been stolen. They are bonded and insured. I like the confidence my truck will be where I parked it. I don't live in a cold climate, so the extended warm up isn't important, but a cold truck is better than no truck!
I think if you want a no go and no remote start, there are simpler and better looking options than the Revelco. The secret to revelco is discrete wiring. The better your installer, the harder it would be to pick apart what work is stock and what is kill switch. So with that, a decent kill switch could be DIY, if you really take the time to plan out where you disable a circuit.

put a hidden switch in the brake light wire at the brake pedal, Switch is off the car can be started but won't come out of gear, switch on the brake circuit is intact and the car will shift out of gear. They had these use this on police cars the allow them to keep them running and noone can drive off with it
www.tremcopoliceproducts.com

Last edited:
put a hidden switch in the brake light wire at the brake pedal, Switch is off the car can be started but won't come out of gear, switch on the brake circuit is intact and the car will shift out of gear. They had these use this on police cars the allow them to keep them running and noone can drive off with it
www.tremcopoliceproducts.com
I wouldn’t be comfortable modifying the brake circuit myself. That’s a pretty critical one to have go wrong while on the road. :p

I wouldn’t be comfortable modifying the brake circuit myself. That’s a pretty critical one to have go wrong while on the road. :p
So typically there are two different circuits. one for the brake shifter interlock and one for the brake lights. I haven't had a chance to look hard at the Superduty though. The brake lights circuit would not have any impact on drivability, but will get you a ticket if it isn't working right. The interlock though is what keeps you from being able to shift out of Park only when you apply the brake. Once you are in gear It shouldn't play into any further transmission operation. For any kill switch I highly recommend using the ground side of the circuit if possible.

Almost any kill switch application will not allow you to remotely start. I had Revelco installed. Yes, it's expensive, but I am confident the only way it will be stolen is a tow truck. The person who installed it, I asked him since he is the installer how long would it take him to circumvent the system he installed knowing all he knows. He said 45 minutes to one hour. These people want to be in and out, not attract attention. Revelco has been in business I believe 10+ years. Not one of their vehicles has been stolen. They are bonded and insured. I like the confidence my truck will be where I parked it. I don't live in a cold climate, so the extended warm up isn't important, but a cold truck is better than no truck!

We know ravelco.

The problem with ravelco is the system was designed before the internet existed and not one penny has been spent on it since. Beyond their own claims regarding the product, there is zero modern documentation on it aside from a news story from 2008 and the constant echo of online forums.

We discussed this earlier in this thread. The issue is that we're talking about a security product meant to safeguard $80,000 machines. To expect a company to have literally any level of investment in their business, product, or their customer experience is an entirely reasonable ask.

I'm not saying ravelco does or does not work. I'm simply curious how much of their claim is due to the kill switch aspect and how much is that XL bottlecap they make you carry around.

Last edited:
I used Forscan to enable police mode so that the gear selector is locked until the key fob is detected. Will that prevent thieves from driving my truck away? Or, have thieves figured out how to get around it?

We know ravelco.

The problem with ravelco is the system was designed before the internet existed and not one penny has been spent on it since. Beyond their own claims regarding the product, there is zero modern documentation on it aside from a news story from 2008 and the constant echo of online forums.

We discussed this earlier in this thread. The issue is that we're talking about a security product meant to safeguard $80,000 machines. To expect a company to have literally any level of investment in their business, product, or their customer experience is an entirely reasonable ask.

I'm not saying ravelco does or does not work. I'm simply curious how much of their claim is due to the kill switch aspect and how much is that XL bottlecap they make you carry around.
Hey everyone has their preference. The bottle cap is no henderance to me, actually I can usually grab my keys faster by latching onto the bottle cap!! There are dozens of cops with San Antonio that have invested in Revelco for their personal trucks and they deal with the trucks being stolen on a daily basis. One would assume that if it didn't work there would be some negative buzz about it, so since all we have is crickets and you don't hear about it, it must work. Carry on my fellow Tremor friends.

I have ravelco installed and completely happy with it. The "bottle cap" is no hassle to me. Being my truck won't fit in my garage I think ravelco is a good investment.

I used Forscan to enable police mode so that the gear selector is locked until the key fob is detected. Will that prevent thieves from driving my truck away? Or, have thieves figured out how to get around it?

This is interesting, I've never heard of police mode.

Hey everyone has their preference. The bottle cap is no henderance to me, actually I can usually grab my keys faster by latching onto the bottle cap!! There are dozens of cops with San Antonio that have invested in Revelco for their personal trucks and they deal with the trucks being stolen on a daily basis. One would assume that if it didn't work there would be some negative buzz about it, so since all we have is crickets and you don't hear about it, it must work. Carry on my fellow Tremor friends.

LOL.

Please understand I mean no offense; for me this isn't an emotive issue. I'm neither asserting or denying the efficacy of ravelco, but the absence of an anecdotal negative does not imply or create a functional positive. For example, of these dozens of police in San Antonio, how many of their vehicles have been engaged in a theft scenario? Of those that were, what attack vectors did the perpetrator seek to exploit? Why did they choose the product? Have they encountered the solution in the field? What was the condition of the vehicle post-attempt?

In regard to the ravelco system, there are three components which act in tandem to frustrate a would be thief, they are:

1. the killswitch itself, i.e the bottlecap.
2. the quality or approach of the wiring implementation.
3. the random pin wiring inside the base plug.

Which of the three imparts the actual theft deterrent aspects of the implementation?

I'm not, in any way, trying to hurt anyone's feelings or question one's personal investment in their own solution. What I'm saying is that without any actual empirical data, we're shooting in the dark. Believe it or not, I agree that one has to give ravelco serious consideration if they're interested in vehicle immobilization as a theft deterrent; I just don't like the company or the way it conducts itself.

For that reason alone, I've been watching this discussion with great interest because going back to those three points, if the ravelco is simply a more effective killswitch - are there other ways this same basic function may be implemented to the same effect? Does a magnetic switch solution or an RFID tag provide the same degree of protection that the pinned solution seems to? What other options are available to us?

In the end, it may be that ravelco is the way to go, but if it is, I hope the reason isn't just 'because the internet said so'.

Last edited:
LOL.

Please understand I mean no offense; for me this isn't an emotive issue. I'm neither asserting or denying the efficacy of ravelco, but the absence of an anecdotal negative does not imply or create a functional positive. For example, of these dozens of police in San Antonio, how many of their vehicles have been engaged in a theft scenario? Of those that were, what attack vectors did the perpetrator seek to exploit? Why did they choose the product? Have they encountered the solution in the field? What was the condition of the vehicle post-attempt?

In regard to the ravelco system, there are three components which act in tandem to frustrate a would be thief, they are:

Which of the three imparts the actual theft deterrent aspects of the implementation?

I'm not, in any way, trying to hurt anyone's feelings or question one's personal investment in their own solution. What I'm saying is that without any actual empirical data, we're shooting in the dark. Believe it or not, I agree that one has to give ravelco serious consideration if they're interested in vehicle immobilization as a theft deterrent; I just don't like the company or the way it conducts itself.

For that reason alone, I've been watching this discussion with great interest because going back to those three points, if the ravelco is simply a more effective killswitch - are there other ways this same basic function may be implemented to the same effect? Does a magnetic switch solution or an RFID tag provide the same degree of protection that the pinned solution seems to? What other options are available to us?

In the end, it may be that ravelco is the way to go, but if it is, I hope the reason isn't just 'because the internet said so'.
Have you a better “kill switch”? Market it…..it’s needed…..it will sell. Until I find a better one, I’ll use the Revelco.
I’m 68 years old…..this may be last new truck. I plan on spending a lot of $ to make it mine and I’m going to do all I can to keep it safe, short of leaving it in the garage.
Thanks for your opinion on the Revelco system.

Don't have a dealer in state or even semi close, plus it's the same bug ugly cap Vs some kind of updated smaller chip or some such

Unless you have a key. Since all keys are the same? 🤷

This is the sauce right here...

1. UK only. 2. Some Russian version of Memphis Raines was able to bypass it in a couple minutes though from what I've read, the installations referenced were not performed according to the manufacturer or TASSA standards - but I have zero direct knowledge about any of that Regardless of this specific product, using dash buttons as a PIN combination is the essence of a phenomenal invisible killswitch security implementation.

Last edited:
LOL.

Have you a better “kill switch”? Market it…..it’s needed…..it will sell. Until I find a better one, I’ll use the Revelco.
I’m 68 years old…..this may be last new truck. I plan on spending a lot of $ to make it mine and I’m going to do all I can to keep it safe, short of leaving it in the garage.
Thanks for your opinion on the Revelco system.
End of the day Revelco as a kill switch is very little different than any old switch. It's just a really complex way to achieve the same thing, take circuits off line.

I'm still looking for the right circuit to leave remote start function. But similar to the above, plan a combo of 2-3 switches that have to be on or off. So they don't just flip all the upfitter switches on and get lucky. Thinking an upfitter on, upfitter off, and a dash switch on.

End of the day Revelco as a kill switch is very little different than any old switch. It's just a really complex way to achieve the same thing, take circuits off line.

I'm still looking for the right circuit to leave remote start function. But similar to the above, plan a combo of 2-3 switches that have to be on or off. So they don't just flip all the upfitter switches on and get lucky. Thinking an upfitter on, upfitter off, and a dash switch on.
Well, said I would post more info on my kill switch, and while I will not give specific details as to locations of items. Below is the wiring diagram for what I set up. Other ideas are to use any switch existing in the vehicle and tap off the hot when pressed side to feed to the #86 posts on the relays. However, you would also need a diode installed between the relays and switch so it won’t back-feed the switch after the relays are set on. Also, could intercept the fuel pump ground wire instead of the shifter solenoid, but then truck won’t start without activating relays first (no remote start), which is why I chose to intercept the shifter lock solenoid wire instead.
1634082738489.jpeg

Back