Worley

Tremor Fiend
TOTM Winner
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 6.7 Rapid Red
Current Ride #2
2012 Harley Davidson Road Glide
Does anyone have any information on the best way to install a kill switch to the 6.7 diesel? Back in 2007, I special ordered a new Silverado and waited 8 weeks for it to arrive. A short 3 weeks later some POS stole it to never be seen again. I currently live in Memphis, TN. and I’m sure most in this group has probably heard about the crime rate here. Needless to say, I’m a little worried about the new truck getting stolen. I’m new to Ford and Diesel engines, so any help to create a theft deterrent would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any information on the best way to install a kill switch to the 6.7 diesel? Back in 2007, I special ordered a new Silverado and waited 8 weeks for it to arrive. A short 3 weeks later some POS stole it to never be seen again. I currently live in Memphis, TN. and I’m sure most in this group has probably heard about the crime rate here. Needless to say, I’m a little worried about the new truck getting stolen. I’m new to Ford and Diesel engines, so any help to create a theft deterrent would be greatly appreciated.

ravelco.com just installed it in mine... awesome

Ford Pass is an app that allows you to remote start and track your car by gps while it’s running.
This is great but can one turn off the truck or prevent starting from the app? OP wants something to prevent it stolen in the first place or something as a deterrent. This is what I was looking for as well as in my area F250s are apparently delicious to thieves.

This is great but can one turn off the truck or prevent starting from the app? OP wants something to prevent it stolen in the first place or something as a deterrent. This is what I was looking for as well as in my area F250s are apparently delicious to thieves.
You can't shut it down from the app if its in use. ( I tried, but we did not hot wire the truck we used the key so maybe depending on how it was started)

I am contemplating a hidden switch in the starter circuit, just to interrupt the power to the starter solenoid. I have not gotten under the truck to look, and don't have a wiring schematic, but if there is no starter, it's harder to drive off.

Ed

Where did you install the plug?

straight down under the ignition just to the side of the base of the center console. perfect spot to flush mount it

36C54B3D-AB12-4851-B35A-D48E5AA24F35.jpeg

+1 on the Ravelco. The DFW guy installed the plug for mine on the left of the steering column. It's much more visible than the base of the center console, but it beats me bending over to plug it in every time.

The problem with relying on the Ford app is the cell antenna and/or the module. All a thief has to do is disconnect it. It's the same way thieves can just bypass GM's OnStar in just a second or two.

The Ravelco isn't perfect either, but it would take considerable time for the thief to figure out and undo what the installer did to the ignition system. Also, the remote start feature is pretty much a goner without leaving the magic decoder ring installed on the Ravelco device.

The intent with the Ravelco is to prevent the vehicle from leaving under it's own power. The system they have, and the way they install seems like it does that very well. The current keyfob designs that everyone uses (on push button start vehicles) is shit, to be blunt. They actually make the vehicle easier to steal. Newer high end cars might have improved the design, and there are certainly lots of things that can be done to improve the security.

I am in Texas, closest to San Antonio. I just spoke with Ravelco and they don't have a shop so to speak. All of thier work is done mobile. They will come to your home, office, anywhere. The install takes 2 hours on Ford truck, and is $599.00. F250 trucks are by far their number one client. As for the remote start, this is true unless the plug is left in the receptacle. It would be up to you when to leave it and when to not. Everyone has insurance, but especially in today's environment the inconvenience is worth $599.00. Nothing will prevent your truck being stolen by a flatbed wrecker. The system comes with 2 keys, but if you were to lose both more can be purchased that are unique to you and your vehicle.

My neighbor had his F150 stolen when they cloned his key (left in the house but right next to the front door). My other neighbor swears by his Club on his 350KR. I'm personally thinking about just a basic switch (maybe even one of the uplifters) taking the starter circuit offline. I've got a few months while I wait on the order to get it sorted out.

My neighbor had his F150 stolen when they cloned his key (left in the house but right next to the front door). My other neighbor swears by his Club on his 350KR. I'm personally thinking about just a basic switch (maybe even one of the uplifters) taking the starter circuit offline. I've got a few months while I wait on the order to get it sorted out.
Or the same idea for the fuel pump circuit.

Yep, let that sink in a bit
I don't follow.

I'd rather only hijack a periodic circuit with a switch, then an always on when the truck is running circuit. I do good wiring, but why take the extra chance that my wiring kills something by accident while I am on the highway. I'm not looking for a kill switch if I was being car jacked. I am looking for something to keep people from easily stealing my truck from the driveway.

I don't follow.

I'd rather only hijack a periodic circuit with a switch, then an always on when the truck is running circuit. I do good wiring, but why take the extra chance that my wiring kills something by accident while I am on the highway. I'm not looking for a kill switch if I was being car jacked. I am looking for something to keep people from easily stealing my truck from the driveway.
I've wired toggle switches in the fuel pump circuit on numerous vehicles I've owned in the past (many 5.0 Fords) for just this purpose. Turn the switch on when I want to start the car, leave it off when I don't. And the purpose was exactly to keep someone from jumping in my car and starting it up and driving it away.

No one is gonna think you have the fuel pump wired to an aux switch if they're trying to steal your truck. It'll crank, but it won't start.

Wouldn't you rather hear someone trying to start the truck to steal it?

Back