Key Fob Programming

Got my OEM fob from Northcoast Keyless. It's identical to the fobs that came from the factory, with battery installed - $64.94 including shipping and no sales tax.

View attachment 28199View attachment 28200

The instructions they provide have a slight error in steps 10 and 11 for the 2021 Super Duty. I have attached the instructions below with a modification for those steps in yellow print. When done according to this it works perfectly.

You will know your truck is in "key program mode" when the second fob is connected to the truck and your vehicle key code comes up on the instrument screen, step 7. At this point the new fob can be programmed which is step 9. You will know the new fob programs if the door locks cycle while you are holding the start button down.

Hope this helps anyone that decides to add an extra fob to their truck.

Note: If programming fails at end of process, wait at least 60 seconds to retry the program process.
You can only program a total of 4 key fobs to the system.

Key Fob Programming:

1 - Confirm First Programmed Smart Key

PLACE the first programmed smart key in the backup slot in the center console.

The key ring MUST be at the top with the buttons facing toward the rear of the vehicle.

2 - Confirm First Programmed Smart Key

PRESS the START/STOP button on the vehicle.

3 - Confirm First Programmed Smart Key

WAIT 5 seconds and PRESS the START/STOP button on the vehicle AGAIN.

4 - Confirm First Programmed Smart Key

REMOVE the first programmed key from the center console.

5 - Confirm Second Programmed Smart Key

Within 10 seconds, PLACE the second programmed smart key in the backup slot in the center console.

6 - Confirm Second Programmed Smart Key

PRESS the START/STOP button on the vehicle.

7 - Confirm Second Programmed Smart Key

WAIT 5 seconds and PRESS the START/STOP button on the vehicle AGAIN.
Confirmation on the instrument screen when this step completes (key code on screen).

8 - Confirm Second Programmed Smart Key

REMOVE the second programmed key from the center console.

9 - Program New Smart Key

WAIT 5 seconds and PLACE the NEW un-programmed smart key in the backup slot in the center console.

10 - Program New Smart Key

PRESS the START/STOP button and HOLD till door locks cycle. Door locks cycle indicates fob has been added to the system.

TEST all remotes. Programming is complete.
Was able to program my 3rd key thanks to these instructions on a June built 2022. So not sure what this security update is but it appears to still work. Ordered fob from north coast keyless. Can confirm it is a legit ford key.

Last edited:
I received my key from NorthCoast yesterday and programmed it per @RedZilla directions on my 2021.

It seems odd to put the key facing forward as it does not fit into the cutout but I did and it programmed my new 3rd key successfully the first time!

This is the way I positioned all 3 keys during programming.

Thanks for the great directions @RedZilla!
Refer back to this picture, this was the only way I finally got mine to program.

Just wanted to bump this up for new owners/members. Take time to read through the thread. You can get a extra Key FOB on line and program it yourself much cheaper than you can at a dealer. Why would you want a third FOB? If you have two programmed FOBs in hand you can program a third one yourself without paying the dealership a couple hundred dollars for a 10 minute job you can do for free. But you can't do this without two FOBs. By purchasing a third FOB and programming it to your truck, you can keep it as a spare with all your extra keys. Then if you loose or destroy one of your originals, you can repeat the process using the two FOBs you have remaining and a $65 replacement you can pick up from the link provided. These are exact OEM FOBs that are made by the company that is supplying Ford as well. Detailed instructions in the thread for programming. I have no skin in this product or web site, just passing on what I've learned.

Also just a heads up, there are lots of knock-offs out their that look OEM. If you buy from Amazon or EBay, etc, you are rolling the dice. If it doesn't have he blue oval on the back side of the FOB, it most assuredly is a counterfeit.
Thanks for the detailed instructions and information on where to purchase the FOB. The price went up slightly to $69, but I just ordered mine as a third spare.

I will follow your steps once it arrives. :cool:

Thanks for the detailed instructions and information on where to purchase the FOB. The price went up slightly to $69, but I just ordered mine as a third spare.

I will follow your steps once it arrives. :cool:
Glad folks are still discovering and using this thread. There's plenty of opportunity to damage or destroy a fob and the dealers charge an arm and a leg to replace one. And if lost or destroyed out on a trip you may be stuck for a while. I really like the idea of wrapping a spare (already programmed) up in tinfoil and hiding it under the carpet or dash somewhere for those "minor disaster" out on the road occasions.

Don't get frustrated if the programming takes a couple tries or more. There's numerous steps in the process, including the orientation of the fobs in the program slot in the console that have tripped almost everyone up the first time or two. I know it took me at least 2-3 tries to get it right, and that's the reason I tried to clarify the instructions on the forum. It's actually quite easy once you do it a time or two. Any step skipped or that takes too long will cause the process to fail. Once you get it you'll feel like a geek. :geek: Good luck and pass on the idea to other Ford owners you may know. 🍻

Chiming in here. I bought a third remote from NorthCoast and just completed the programming. It took two tries. In case it helps someone else, my mistake (I think) was that I have faraday pouches for the remotes and I put remote #1 and remote #2 away in their pouches as I proceeded to the step of programming the new remote. Well, of course the truck said "no remote found" and ended the whole process.

When it works the dash indicators all blink and the screen tells you the new remote was programmed.

Chiming in here. I bought a third remote from NorthCoast and just completed the programming. It took two tries. In case it helps someone else, my mistake (I think) was that I have faraday pouches for the remotes and I put remote #1 and remote #2 away in their pouches as I proceeded to the step of programming the new remote. Well, of course the truck said "no remote found" and ended the whole process.

When it works the dash indicators all blink and the screen tells you the new remote was programmed.
I think you aced it and yes the current remotes needed to be detected by the system during the process. One other thing that happens on the dash is it identifies the serial number of the remote just programmed on the screen for a few seconds. I don't know how useful that information is, but you can record it in your manual or other records for the truck if you want. Good job and thanks for giving us an update. 🍻

Last edited:
Bumping this thread up with an update, and for any new folks that haven't added extra key fobs to their truck. I misplaced or lost one of my extra fobs, so I decided to add a new one so I had plenty of extras. In my old age things seem to be getting lost more easily. With two working fobs you can add additional key fobs without a dealer's help. It'll save you a ton of money and a lot of inconvenience.

For the update, even though I added clarified instructions on the first page, I had a hellofa time getting my new fob programmed. The part where it says how the fob needs to be placed in the program slot is confusing. Here's a picture of how I had mine in the slot when it finally worked. I know the description sounds like it should face the opposite direction, and others including myself have programmed fobs in the opposite direction successfully. After several attempts I got frustrated and walked away for a bit. When I go back I put the fob in the slot in this direction and it worked the first time.
1690664348548.jpeg

Honestly I don't think it matters which way you orient the fob but this makes more sense to me anyway. I think the part that's the most important is the timing of hitting the start button. In total if done right it takes about 30 seconds to program a fob.

The key fobs are still available from Northcost Keyless and are still under $70, free shipping and no sales tax. I believe their part number has been changed from the earlier links provided so here's a link to the fob I just ordered and successfully programed on my 2021.

Good luck programming! 😁 🍻

BTW you can get fobs for almost any vehicle from them.

Well, I got my new fob from Northcoast and tried to program my ‘22 Tremor. No luck. I tried about 10 times, different orientations, keys in, keys out, nothing worked. I know that I followed the directions perfectly. I’m not sure why it didn’t work.

I have an Ace hardware near me that programs keys. I will try them later in the week.

Well, I got my new fob from Northcoast and tried to program my ‘22 Tremor. No luck. I tried about 10 times, different orientations, keys in, keys out, nothing worked. I know that I followed the directions perfectly. I’m not sure why it didn’t work.

I have an Ace hardware near me that programs keys. I will try them later in the week.
I think there’s something in this thread about later 22 builds after June or July that got a security update that made it harder or impossible without dealer. Mine was an early June 22 and I was able to program an extra.

After getting frustrated trying to program the fob, I came inside and ate dinner. I decided to give it one more try after finishing dinner. I went to the truck and it worked on the first attempt.

I think that I was too caught up in counting to 5 and trying to finish in under 30 seconds. I watched another programming video for the F150 fob and the guy said to put the existing fob in the slot, push the button, wait for the dinging to stop, press the button again, and then repeat the process with the other two fobs. No counting. That seemed easier for me, but of course math never was my strength.

Anyway, it’s done. The moral is: if you are getting frustrated, walk away and try again later. You can get it to work.

After getting frustrated trying to program the fob, I came inside and ate dinner. I decided to give it one more try after finishing dinner. I went to the truck and it worked on the first attempt.

I think that I was too caught up in counting to 5 and trying to finish in under 30 seconds. I watched another programming video for the F150 fob and the guy said to put the existing fob in the slot, push the button, wait for the dinging to stop, press the button again, and then repeat the process with the other two fobs. No counting. That seemed easier for me, but of course math never was my strength.

Anyway, it’s done. The moral is: if you are getting frustrated, walk away and try again later. You can get it to work.
One very important part is if the fob fails to program, you must not retry for at least a minute. It may be that the wait time is actually longer than a minute as I've experienced the same situation that if I just walk away and come back it seems to program the first try. I think there's a little Super Duty Voodoo at play here. Just don't get too frustrated and walk away as you say and just try later. Glad you found success eventually.

One very important part is if the fob fails to program, you must not retry for at least a minute. It may be that the wait time is actually longer than a minute as I've experienced the same situation that if I just walk away and come back it seems to program the first try. I think there's a little Super Duty Voodoo at play here. Just don't get too frustrated and walk away as you say and just try later. Glad you found success eventually.
You make a great point here. I think that the time required between tries is longer than a minute. I was sitting in a hot truck trying to do the process, so I would wait exactly 1 minute in between tries. If that is the case, the second through the tenth tries didn’t have a chance.

I've programmed them in multiple ways and had success the first try and the umpteenth try. I don't have a fix on it, but timing is clearly a key factor.

Bumping this thread up for the new folks that still only have their two factory issued key FOBs.

It's worth reading through this to learn why you should get a third FOB and also to learn how to program it to your truck without going to a dealership. You can literally save a couple hundred bucks by doing this and you will retain the means to purchase and program future FOBS if one get lost or destroyed. It's actually pretty easy to do. 🍻

Back