Keep the stock 35" Duratrac tires?

I just don’t like that Ford used an 8in wide rim. It really reduces the options for 35x12.5 tires. I actually like the rims and would gladly keep them but just not an option if you want to run The Nittos or Toyos etc..... guess I’ll be buying 18x9 rims with new rubber when it’s time.
Apparently 17” rims fit as well. Opens up more options.

i put 33x12.50r15 on my 1990 bronco and used the stock 8 inch wheels it made the tires a little taller then if i used a 10 inch wider rim

Last edited:
I have had both 295/65/20 and 35/12.50/20 on my trucks. The 12.50 are wider and shorter. The 295 are taller and not as wide. It seems the 295 got better mileage than the 12.50. I have had both on the factory 8" rim and never had a problem with getting them mounted up.

I am looking forward to trying the 11" wide 285 because on the dirt roads and sometimes mud, They should track better in the ruts. I'm also thinking of using them as my snows for winter. I have a set of firestones studded and on 18" wheels already in case I'm not impressed with their performance in the snow. This is new England and winter is here for about 6 months a year.

We have four seasons; Winter, Mud, Bug and fall.

The Cooper STT Pros come in 295/70-18...They measure 34.5, 12 wide and they are rated for 7.5-10 inch wheels.....and they are 129Q rated for over 4000 LBS. Which means they will fit stock wheels and give you almost another inch of width

This could be just getting used to them but I honestly felt like the tires really settled in after a few hundred miles. Initial opinion was that they were gonna be too narrow and they wandered a lot but I gotta say with 2,000 miles on them now I feel like they ride great all the way up around 85 mph.

Will move to Maxxis Razr or Toyo MT in the stock 285/75r18 size when these are done. I wish BFG would make this size in the KM3.

I have to admit, they are growing on me. At 4K miles Now they really won me over. They are great tires in rain, mud, dirt, gravel and aren’t too loud. Really starting to like them.

I’m liking the Duratracs so far. We have mud and bad roads. The real test will be this fall/winter. Road noise is minimal, 4K miles. Not much highway. About to change oil and rotate at 5k. Stability at 80 mph was good. Depending on mileage, I may change to BFG, but right now I’m happy.

Attachments

• CCDFE85F-E27B-4013-8281-360BE7442155.jpeg
    CCDFE85F-E27B-4013-8281-360BE7442155.jpeg
    689.1 KB · Views: 153
I don't mind them either. I am closing in on 12k miles and they are still good. No noticeable increase in noise and doesn't show extended amounts of wear either.

Just something to remember when everyone is searching through the different brands and tire size options that the stock tire is 4080lbs weight rating and that is on the high end for tires in this size range. I would love to put on some BFG KM3 35*12.5*18 but they only carry 3415lbs and that translates into 33% less bed weight.

There are options out there and more come everyday. I have ran BFG for almost 25 years now and love them. When I used to sell tires we never had issues putting a 12.5" tire on am 8" wheel. You can easily get away with the .5" undersize maybe even 1" on a tall sidewall.

I’ve been running duratracs on both my work and personal trucks for the last 5-6 years. They seem to do fantastic year round and have lasted anywhere from 80-100k KM’s.

The only thing I can suggest is that if you want to get that or any kind of mileage out of them- rotate them often. Mine get rotated at every oil change. It’s a pain in the ass but has saved me a lot on tires.

Back