Jumping from a Raptor to Tremor!

James

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Raptor
First Responder
No
Hey guys. New to the Forum. I’m trading in my 2020 Raptor for a 2021 Tremor. I only drive my trucks for 1 year then flip them for tax reasons. I’m curious about trade in values on the engines. I know the diesels retain value longer but what about short term trades. I’ve heard you have to drive the diesel a little longer to get the extra cost back. In Texas where I live the diesel is king but the 7.3 looks to be the better off road option (weight wise). I tow a 24’ tritoon so the torque numbers on the diesel sounds nice but I’m afraid that diesel will leave me stuck in the mud during hunting season. Just don’t want to get burned on my trade in if I go with the 7.3. What’s ya’lls experience?

I don't think the 7.3L has been out long enough to know how the resale will be. But I am certain it will be good with how impressive Ford designed this engine.

Welcome to the Raptor to Tremor converts club ?

I traded a 18 Raptor for 2020 6.7 Tremor, I would always say if you tow that always get a diesel and the resale on a diesel makes up for the cost increase. Just my opinion

I flip mine often for tax reasons. I don't think you will have trouble either way with an annual flip. The difference between the 7.3 and 6.7 will be lateral.

I can tell you with my business there is more tax advantage for the trucks over a certain weight so I always get the 1 ton ( F350) Kind of a loop hole. We do have a few F150s in the fleet but I get more tax benefit on my SD trucks. But every state is different ( we have state income tax ) and every business is different.

I am sure someone will be very happy to get that Raptor from you!

I flip mine often for tax reasons. I don't think you will have trouble either way with an annual flip. The difference between the 7.3 and 6.7 will be lateral.

I can tell you with my business there is more tax advantage for the trucks over a certain weight so I always get the 1 ton ( F350) Kind of a loop hole. We do have a few F150s in the fleet but I get more tax benefit on my SD trucks. But every state is different ( we have state income tax ) and every business is different.

I am sure someone will be very happy to get that Raptor from you!

I'm coming from having back to back Raptors so I was very concerned. I've only had my 21 Tremor since last Wed but I love it. It rides way better than I had hoped and is super smooth on the highway. I'm very impressed with the 7.3 too. I feel that you're going to love the Tremor. Good Luck :)

I'm coming from having back to back Raptors so I was very concerned. I've only had my 21 Tremor since last Wed but I love it. It rides way better than I had hoped and is super smooth on the highway. I'm very impressed with the 7.3 too. I feel that you're going to love the Tremor. Good Luck :)
Agree love the Ride of the Tremor, its different than the Raptor both good but different

Agree love the Ride of the Tremor, its different than the Raptor both good but different

Totally huh? It's so smooth and the motor has so much grunt that I'm going 80mph every time I look at the speedo.

Totally huh? It's so smooth and the motor has so much grunt that I'm going 80mph every time I look at the speedo.

oh man, I definitely have that problem. It's real easy to speed because it doesn't feel like you are going fast.

I believe you guys are talking diesels but even the 7.3 is no slouch, I'm pretty impressed with the "get up and go" that the truck has. Getting to the speed limiter is a rather easy task...

@James Good luck with whichever option you purchase (if you do decide to purchase one). You may likely go with the diesel due to trailer towing capability and resale value plus the mileage whilst driving. I don't think you can go wrong with whichever you choose.

Thanks guys. I’m heading to the dealership on Friday. Right now it’s definitely harder to find a Tremor 6.7 than the 7.3. I can’t see going down in HP & torque from the Raptor and being happy about it. I’ll post what I decide. Thanks for the opinions and experience. It’s much appreciated.

Thanks guys. I’m heading to the dealership on Friday. Right now it’s definitely harder to find a Tremor 6.7 than the 7.3. I can’t see going down in HP & torque from the Raptor and being happy about it. I’ll post what I decide. Thanks for the opinions and experience. It’s much appreciated.

I have been driving modified Raptors for more than 10 years with an original Gen 1 SCAB and Gen 2, so I was concerned about moving to the much larger Tremor for every day driving and off roading. While the 7.3 gasser is better for off-roading and driving around town, I am buying my 6.7 mainly for towing a TT. I will keep my Gen 2 for a while until I see how the Tremor does with non-towing duties.

I ordered a 2021 because I could not find a 2020 on the lot with the set of features I wanted. Good luck with your search... :cool:

Honestly, coming from a 2018 Raptor to the 7.3L, I noticed very, very little difference. The 4.30 gears help tremendously. And the 7.3L is pretty much an untapped big block 445 CI with a ton of potential.

Honestly, coming from a 2018 Raptor to the 7.3L, I noticed very, very little difference. The 4.30 gears help tremendously. And the 7.3L is pretty much an untapped big block 445 CI with a ton of potential.
I don't think the 7.3L has been out long enough to know how the resale will be. But I am certain it will be good with how impressive Ford designed this engine.

Welcome to the Raptor to Tremor converts club ?
The 7.3L does pull well and a 24Ft tritune is easily within the capabilities of the 7.3L. The only way that load will really slow down the 7.3L is the stops at the fuel pump :ROFLMAO:. Keep in mind the listed difference Max towing on the F350 Tremor between the 7.3L and the 6.7L is only 1900Lbs, 20K vs 21,900. The 7.3L is definitely better trail mannered with the ~ 800 lb lighter weight, but is still a heavy truck no matter what you choose so deep mud could be a issue for both.

With all that said and expected low ownership time the safer financial bet on trade value is probably going to be the 6.7L since that motor is known to keep value pretty well. I agree with others that It is to early to tell how the resale levels on the 7.3L are going to stack up against the 6.7L. Longer term I honestly think that resale gap is going to be smaller between the 7.3L and the 6.7L since the 7.3L seems to be doing what Ford claimed filling the gap between the 6.2L and the 6.7L.

How much does that tritoon weigh? If I assume we are talking 5k or so you probably wont even know its hooked up with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears.

How much does that tritoon weigh? If I assume we are talking 5k or so you probably wont even know its hooked up with the 7.3 and 4.30 gears.

He will not know it is hooked until he looks down at how fast his gas gauge is moving! My V6TT Raptor gets less then 7 MPG when towing my 6K lb TT. With my 36 gallon tank, that is only about 250 miles... :oops:

It’s not the weight as much as it is the bulk , load balance on the trailer, coupled with how it catches the wind like a sail. My Raptor gets about 7.3 mpg when I tow it and it has serious squat. My Raptor tows my Skeeter like a dream. However I just got a 2021 Denali (for the wife) with a 6.2 and the new rear independent suspension and it’s amazing how well that suspension handles that big tritoon and made me realize that I need more out of my current truck when I tow down the HWY.

I second this - I went from a 17 Raptor to the 7.3 and I really don't notice a difference in acceleration. I have had a lot of very fast cars so I never considered the raptor that quick to begin with.....

He will not know it is hooked until he looks down at how fast his gas gauge is moving! My V6TT Raptor gets less then 7 MPG when towing my 6K lb TT. With my 36 gallon tank, that is only about 250 miles... :oops:
This is a true story!!!! I don’t mind the cost of gas it’s that my Raptor just doesn’t handle the load well. It makes long trips feel a little sketchy. When the 2021 Raptor comes out with the TT5.0 coyote and independent rear suspension I may take another look at it.

I⅕

I have a 7.3 and tow a 8-9k 32ft travel trailer which catches at least as much wind as a tritoon and get 8.5mpg, and that is 70mph towing not taking it easy. My 2500 Ram Cummins the Tremor replaced pulled the same trailer and got around 11mpg. Range is better for sure with the diesel, dollar per mile not much different with cost of diesel over gas.

It’s not the weight as much as it is the bulk , load balance on the trailer, coupled with how it catches the wind like a sail. My Raptor gets about 7.3 mpg when I tow it and it has serious squat. My Raptor tows my Skeeter like a dream. However I just got a 2021 Denali (for the wife) with a 6.2 and the new rear independent suspension and it’s amazing how well that suspension handles that big tritoon and made me realize that I need more out of my current truck when I tow down the HWY.

I'm sure its similar to a bumper pull travel trailer which are known to be the most unruly to tow with all the wind they catch, mine is a 32ft. If you havent towed with an HD truck before you are in for a treat...gas or diesel.

Latest Discussions

Back