It's here! 11 days early. Toms build thread.

Another outing another fun day on the trail with 14 or maybe it was 15 other vehicles from Vegas hitting up southern Utah last weekend. Toquerville Falls north and slightly east of St George, Utah. (The falls was way more packed that anyone that had been there before had ever seen/we're blaming Covid 19 for that). We took the "easy" trail up there (some clearance, 4x4 and decent tires needed) then the level 3-4 trail following the creek down zig zagging it. Several stayed at the falls for the night and didn't complete the difficult section down. 20psi all around on the tires is perfect for this truck with the 7.3L for traction and to give my back a rest! Makes the truck feel like a 1/2 ton ride wise. Every single creek crossing was challenging for the full size types. No metal damage but a few more racing stripes added to my paint job. Rear diff dragged a few times, lower shock mounts dragged a couple, both running boards dragged across rocks many times (passenger side bowed a pinch in the middle/nothing one easy jump on it didn't undo). I need a level on this thing bad for extra clearance! Too bad Carli won't have their gas specific Tremor kits out till later this year. The big Dodge Power Wagon that is leveled on 37's in the group only had to break out his winch once to help one of the smaller trucks get up over a ledge on a up hill section with a large boulder in the mix. (I was on 2 wheels in that section! Front Right/rear left trying to make the break over on the top and avoid crushing my left running board via a badly nature placed boulder on the crest of popping over. (I had to climb the trail side with the front right some to get up far enough to avoid that boulder.) Very eerie/queasy feeling rocking on 2 tires needless to say. (No vids or pics of that one.) Rear locker pulled me through like a champ!

View attachment 2171

View attachment 2172

View attachment 2173

Only the jeeps and FJ could go straight. 3 foot drop off the rocks on one side. No one could go to the right of the picture due to the boulders. All the full sized vehicles had to go to the left side of the picture narrowly missing a tree.... I know a Dodge picture. I only had a few pictures so using what I have...

View attachment 2174

The Toyota had to be pulled over the mid way up ledge on this climb out.

View attachment 2176

View attachment 2179

A little dirty...

View attachment 2177

Filling all 4 up at one using a ARB twin air and Inde Flate 4 hose set-up. 20-60psi in 15 minutes.

View attachment 2178

Tom
Looks like an awesome time/place - thanks for sharing all the pics/clips!!

Was going to wait to post until I had it completely done but the ARB remote air coupling kit is out everywhere until next month. Tried several dozen online stores and no luck. I have the needed 2 meters worth of ARB steel braided air line so just one little item to finish this project totally up. Still usable as is.

Anyways finally got my own air compressor. No more bumming air! Lots of pondering where to install, what would be needed, etc while saving up for this toy. I know there is plenty of space/places under the truck but really wanted it in the bed all safe and free of mud, dirt, rock hits, etc. Originally I was going to install on the back drivers side of the bed/Builtright rack to make access simple and just install a switch next to it skipping the whole ignition, etc stuff for the activation switch but after getting it and playing around with locations it made more sense to mount up front out of ordinary view, safe from loads in the bed hitting it and in a area that I really lost no room. Loving it!

Like I mentioned above this placement made sense. All I had to do was flip the shovel over to open up the needed space on the Builtright rack. The shovel used to be tip in. It was an nice placement all tucked in but really I lost little to no usable room doing so.

Tremor_169.jpg

Plenty of room to plug an air hose in. Will have to look at it once I get the remote air coupling kit if I can remove/reduce the spacer I have on the shovel and tuck it in a pinch tighter.

Tremor_172.jpg

There was plenty of pain involved mounting this up. Actually mounting it to the Builtright rack was nitnoid. Mounting the rack back to the truck just sucked! As you can see two of the torx bolts are totally out of sight. Those 2 took a whole bunch of time to get in there using a couple finger tips. Not fun in the Vegas heat! Anyways I had to use a torx bit, small ratcheting box end, electrical tape on the top/bottom of said bit so it wouldn't fall out of the wrench and screw them in basically one click at a time using finger tips. I'm surprised my patience lasted that long.

You can/could flip the rack over so the two sections on the right are forward and the one section on the other side that you can't see faces the back of the truck. Tried that and 100 times easier to put all 4 back in. But for me when doing so my shovel came up short mounting. So I went with pain/the hard way.

Tremor_171.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the back side. Nothing really to see. Nothing fancy done. There is 8 locations/rivnuts on the backside of the compressor that can be used to mount the compressor. You only need to use 4. The twin compressor came with 4 bolts to mount it. Only one I had to use a larger washer for better coverage to the rack. All locktighted down! Don't want that thing to ever come loose and have to deal with those 2 torx bolts/screws again!

Tremor_170.jpg

The compressor main power and switch wiring is fed through the front bed plug via a couple holes I drilled. The switch was just a couple wires so just fed them through. The main power I had to disassemble the ARB waterproof connector and feed them through then reassemble. Originally I was going to mount a switch next to it to power it up but since it is a quick simple jump from the passenger side bed to the passenger side main battery with the upfitter block right there I decided to wire it into the upfitter for powering it up. A little overkill seeing as how the power on switching is just activating a solenoid. A couple amp draw if that wired into a 25 amp relay set-up. I suppose I should of put a inline 3-5amp fuse on that wiring. Someday...

Tremor_173.jpg

When the ARB remote air coupling becomes available again I'll mount that at the back of the truck next to the Rotopax.

Tremor_168.jpg

So the spot where I was going to mount the compressor I put a couple Builtright tech pouches. The smaller one has a bunch of air fittings in it and the factory ARB 20ft hose that came with the kit (hot spare/as needed for additional length).

The bigger pouch just has the ARB digital tire pressure gauge/inflator and 20' of Flexzilla air line in it. Plenty of other room in it just figured a couple items in it makes it easier to remove/replace stuff in it.

Tremor_166.jpg

Tremor_165.jpg

After the wiring passes through the front bed plug and down I just ran it along the outside frame rail using adhesive-backed zip tie mounts. I hit the area up thoroughly with surface prep chemicals. Dunno how long they will stay sticking. Not a bunch of weight and I spaced them closely so hopefully never an issue. I would of preferred to run them in the hollow frame like I did with my aux rear lighting but no quick/simple access points to get the wires into the frame and the wiring has quite a bit of bulk to it.

Tremor_161.jpg

The OEM 6 feet of wiring coming from the battery ends under the front passenger seat. I found a place online that sells a 90" power extension specifically for the ARB twin. Perfect! Only a few inches to spare. (If anyone in Vegas needs a 15' extension I have one available... I bought it before the compressor showed up and ended up not using it due to mount location changes.)

Tremor_162.jpg

The last picture... Switching positive is heading over to the upfitter box to the left of the 2 ARB 40amp blade fuses that I just zip tied right there for easy access. The negative for switching is combined on a factory negative post/area. The ARB power for each motor goes straight to the battery (8ga wiring I think) and the 2 negatives for the motors are combined somewhere along the line in the factory wire loom to a singe 6ga that goes directly to the battery. Not the cleanest but works. I'm not a electrician.

Tremor_164.jpg

Works like a charm. 3 1/2 minutes to fill a single tire from 20psi (my normal trail tire pressure) to 60psi.

Tom

Last edited:
Where did you get these brackets and bags? These are AMAZING! have been looking for something like this to keep my bed organized!
All by the same company.

Tom

Pretty badass modular system, I like it but don't think I'd ever have the use for it.

Thank you Tom for the write up!

After the last outing/recovery a light upgrade to the box was next on the list. Getting tired of the old flashlight in the teeth search method. I'm not really up on the cheapest oversea item one can find but for this application I had no problem. $21.99 from Amazon and done.

I could of done light strips but not sure if that really provides light throw. They are bright to look at. I have a strip in a safe and it doesn't really do much so decided to get 4 "rock crawl/under body" advertised lights. For the cost no biggie to try.

Love them. Still some shadows with all the stuff mounted to my Builtright racks but overall 100% better than what I had.

Tremor_173a.jpg

I had read on some forums people saying the Factory LED system in the box was 6v so that had me concerned. It isn't. 12v on the 2020. Maybe earlier years trucks did? Easy to wire. Just crawl under the truck and reach up to the oem box light. They click in via the top/bottom. Just click the bottom tab in and the light will release into the bed some. 2 wires on it. White was the power side if I remember right. I just tapped into both right at/near the plug to the factory light and fed the wires back into the box and up a hair to an oem hole conveniently located right where I needed one. From there on just some basic wiring. The wires from rack to rack I just tucked up into a slot in the bed cover and shoved some firm foam I had laying around to keep them in place. Pretty cheesy but works. I did this on both sides of the truck. So 2 lights tapped to the factory light on each side. I really wanted to use to factory switch. Works like a charm. I can turn the lights on from the bed or the button on the dash. (The cargo button on the dash also turns on box lighting.)

Rotopax blocks this factory LED completely.

Tremor_175.jpg

Wires exiting.

Tremor_179.jpg

This was the first one I did. I need to re-do whenever I get the energy again. I'll have to pull the rack to do it. I used the slot in the rack and need to go to the top and just drill a couple holes like I did on the other 3. The Hi-lift blocks some of the light throw downwards.

The builtright tech pouch that I keep my air hose/accessories in blocks this sides factory LED.

Tremor_176.jpg

The front 2 I didn't have to pull the rack (there isn't enough money to get me to remove this rack again) and just drilled 2 holes just a hair under the kits included socket head cap screw size and screwed them in. The racks are aluminum so the machine screw, in a way, self tapped in.

Tremor_183.jpg

Without stuff and with.

Tremor_180.jpg

Tremor_184.jpg

Tremor_185.jpg

At night.

Tremor_186.jpg

Tremor_187.jpg

Tremor_188.jpg

Tremor on a angled driveway... Needs a step for the step. lol

Tremor_174.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
On a different subject. Went out to rescue a Razor yesterday posted on Facebook/SNORR group that I am a part of (Southern Nevada Off Road Recovery). I was told by the owners that a 3/4 ton Chevy tried and snapped a front CV/axle and a couple Toyota's tried and got stuck and had to be pull out. Didn't look like anything special to me. Aired down to 20psi on all 4 corners and had a 1/2 mile drive back in around the lake on essentially OHV trails. Of course had to add a couple new pinstripes to the truck... Never can go out and not do that. The Razor was sitting on the skids with all 4 tires spinning in the water. Gumbo mud. Thick, slick and nasty. Hooked up and didn't even spin a tire. Love my Tremor! I NEED a winch!

For those that have never aired down I can't express enough how HUGE of a difference it is when one does that. In this instance it was for traction but if my truck is leaving the pavement and will not be screaming down dirt roads at 55 I air down every time. Turns my 3/4 ton into a dirt Cadillac. The ride is soooooo much nicer and enjoyable.

20200703_164836.jpg

20200703_170049.jpg

20200703_170416.jpg

The 100% stock 2014 F350 Diesel on street tires that also rolled on the call didn't fair well. As soon as we hit wet stuff he was done. He didn't even make it to the recovery point. Glad I didn't have issues. I was planning on the second truck as my back-up. 2 yanks for me yesterday.

Tom

I was totally surprised to get a text yesterday afternoon that my Tremor was here! I couldn't type I'm ready now fast enough. lol. He said in a few hours since they needed to inspect and detail. I cleaned out the 2013 F150 FX4, hit the car wash for a nice appearance for trade in purposes and was off to the dealer.

+/- 7 weeks. Works for me! Wasn't supposed to be here until the 17th. Ordered Jan 17 with a truck order processed date of 20 Jan.

Sport, Ultimate, 7.3L, dual batteries/alternators, bed cover, etc, etc. Most of the goodies. Did my first upgrade with the cup holders last night. They just happened to show up yesterday. Time to go mess with it. Didn't get home until well into the darkness hours last night so only have a couple miles on it.

Got a small pile of stuff in the garage for it. Built right bed storage, etc all ready to be installed.

Tom

Just saw this!! Small world. My dealer told me someone else upgraded from a ‘13 f150 FX4 to a Tremor as well when I picked mine up in March.

found him lol

started looking through and recognized the dealership. Very late on my part but beautiful truck and build so far!

Still haven't driven it since leaving the dealer last night. About ready to head out and put a few miles on it. Just had to get the bed partially done ;) Been buying stuff here and there waiting for it to show. Might make a few adjustments to how I mounted everything up. I'm extremely happy with Built Right Industries bed rack system. Everything mounted up solid!

Tom

can you elaborate on how you did your bed attachments?

thanks!

C

can you elaborate on how you did your bed attachments?

thanks!

C
Like? I thought I was pretty thorough on the pics and details on every post. What specifically are you looking for? The 4 racks themselves and many of the item attachment pieces can be purchased from Builtrightind. The rest Amazon or off road stores.

Try a builtrightind search on YouTube and many wonderful ideas will be found for optimum utilization of this storage system.

What I did for weeks on end until my truck showed up.

Tom

ARB finally got remote air coupling kits back in stock in the US. Love this set-up. I used a 2 meter ARB braided line. A little extra but not much. Why I ran it around the compressor. To eat up some of the extra length. The kit came with the coupler, mount, 2 90 degree fittings and one straight fitting.

Tremor_194.jpg

Tremor_195.jpg

Tremor_198.jpg

I'm sure this will drive me nuts eventually but for the time being where the hose sits. I covered it with black auto wire conduit to blend in since the braided stuck out big time against the black bed spray.

Tremor_200.jpg

Tom

The plastic tote/storage bin in the bed had to go. I wanted it to work but just not enough room. The idea was if I needed the full bed to haul stuff I'd be able to simply remove but with so many vehicles getting broke into these days something to slow them down a bit needed to be added. Plus i needed more room for "stuff". I had another smaller storage bin of stuff that I wanted to have in the truck.

$269 if i remember correctly at Lowe's. Works for me. Biggest downside is that I had to space it +/- 6 inches from the front of the bed to allow the lid to open enough to be usable. So lost even more bed space. Really the only time I use the bed is general house stuff so not killing me. I bought the truck for a daily driver and to be used offroad not to haul.

Anyways, I like. It's not full size (width wheel well to wheel well) so still able to haul say a bunch of 6ft 2x4s on the sides, etc.

The included install kit was nice. 2 options. Basic 4 holes nut/bolt or rivnuts. It came with a basic rivnut install tool too. So went down that road to make it a simple one person install job. Done in no time.

20200730_202918.jpg

20200731_075808.jpg

20200731_085648.jpg

20200731_085714.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
I was totally surprised to get a text yesterday afternoon that my Tremor was here! I couldn't type I'm ready now fast enough. lol. He said in a few hours since they needed to inspect and detail. I cleaned out the 2013 F150 FX4, hit the car wash for a nice appearance for trade in purposes and was off to the dealer.

+/- 7 weeks. Works for me! Wasn't supposed to be here until the 17th. Ordered Jan 17 with a truck order processed date of 20 Jan.

Sport, Ultimate, 7.3L, dual batteries/alternators, bed cover, etc, etc. Most of the goodies. Did my first upgrade with the cup holders last night. They just happened to show up yesterday. Time to go mess with it. Didn't get home until well into the darkness hours last night so only have a couple miles on it.

Got a small pile of stuff in the garage for it. Built right bed storage, etc all ready to be installed.

Tom

Love the cupholders...where did you get them??

Back