IS IT ME OR IS MY REAR DIFFERENTIAL OFF.....NEED YOUR HELP TREMOR WORLD

Lurking Class

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F-250 Tremor 7.3L
Hello All,

I was looking at my truck from behind today and I noticed on the driver side the rear tire looks like it in further then the passenger side. I am a general superintendent and build buildings for a living. So I have a pretty good eye and usually right when I see something not lining up. So I took my 6’ Stabila level and figured out center of the wheel wells. placed the level against the truck and the bubble was dead center. I also measured up The tire from the lip of the rim. I measured the passenger side first and I had a 1/2” from the tire to the levels edge. On the driver side I made the same measurements on the tire. I measured 1 1/2”. I looked at under the truck and nothing looks off. Any suggestions???

Something doesn't sound right. Is it driving straight? Take it to the dealers and see what they have to say.

As far as I can tell or feel it is. Doesn’t feel like it crab walking and if I let go of the wheel it doesn’t pull to one side or the other. It will be at the dealers Monday.

Put a 4' level on each tire and measure from the body and see if its the same.

I looked for the first time tonight, and mine is off as well. Rear axle is offset slightly to the passenger side. This is off body panels and not frame though, so not sure if it is an issue.

Ed

I took mine off the bed of the truck and I am off 1” to the passenger side. How much are you off?

I looked for the first time tonight, and mine is off as well. Rear axle is offset slightly to the passenger side. This is off body panels and not frame though, so not sure if it is an issue.

Ed
My issue is when I lift it at the end of the month and mount the 37x12.5 on the truck. Will more of the tire be sticking out past the body on the passenger side then the driver’s side.

UPDATE:
I put a straight edge on my wheels as close to center as possible. Measured from the straight edge to the frame on both sides. There is a 5/8” difference from the driver’s side to the passenger side. The plus being on the passenger side.

This is pretty common from my personal experience. I've had 2 f-250's that have been off by about 1/2 - 1". A friend of mines is off by about an 1". Took it to my closest ford dealer (which is terrible to deal with BTW) and they pretty much told me if it left the factory like that its within spec and there is nothing they will do about it to find a reason why, or let alone make an attempt at fixing it.

UPDATE:
I put a straight edge on my wheels as close to center as possible. Measured from the straight edge to the frame on both sides. There is a 5/8” difference from the driver’s side to the passenger side. The plus being on the passenger side.
I did the same since you guys put it in my head. Lol. I'm a 1/4" off. Not too bad.

A more common issue is the bed needing to be centered. It might be what you're seeing. It's been an issue with the 17' - 20's.

Have someone follow behind you. If the rear axle is off then the truck should ride with the back end out on one side or the other.

This is pretty common from my personal experience. I've had 2 f-250's that have been off by about 1/2 - 1". A friend of mines is off by about an 1". Took it to my closest ford dealer (which is terrible to deal with BTW) and they pretty much told me if it left the factory like that its within spec and there is nothing they will do about it to find a reason why, or let alone make an attempt at fixing it.
Thanks for the information. Did you or your friend take it to another shop to fix it? I am going to the dealer tomorrow and will update on what happens.

Did or how did you and your friend fix the problem?

I would double check the bed alignment. mine is ok. It's off a little bit. But I've seen trucks in the lot that are way off. If you're measuring at the fender lip this will be affected by bed alignment. You could verify by measuring of the frame.

I would double check the bed alignment. mine is ok. It's off a little bit. But I've seen trucks in the lot that are way off. If you're measuring at the fender lip this will be affected by bed alignment. You could verify by measuring of the frame.
I took off both rear tires put a straight edge on the hub and measured back to the frame and it was off. I will double check the bed. But I think it the diff. That is off. Thanks for the information.

I crawled under the truck this afternoon. It looks like in fact my axle is off to the passenger side as well. I didn't take a picture but i noticed that the leaf perches aren't even from one side to the other. There is more wheel-side axle visible on the passenger side than on the driver. Didn't need to measure, it was visibly noticeable

I crawled under the truck this afternoon. It looks like in fact my axle is off to the passenger side as well. I didn't take a picture but i noticed that the leaf perches aren't even from one side to the other. There is more wheel-side axle visible on the passenger side than on the driver. Didn't need to measure, it was visibly noticeable
Well mine has been at the dealer since Monday with this issue. The service manager said noting they can really do. I told him that not acceptable to me and they need to fix it. He said they will contact ford engineering and see what they say. I told as much as we pay for these truck the quality control on the fit and finish should be much better than this.

I'd be interested to hear what the engineers have to say about it. Short of cutting the spring perches and re-welding them to the axle tube there isn't an easy way to make the fix. Unless you used an offset pin on the spring pack itself to shift the axle over. Not sure the answer. Truck drives and tracks ok but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it.

I'd be interested to hear what the engineers have to say about it. Short of cutting the spring perches and re-welding them to the axle tube there isn't an easy way to make the fix. Unless you used an offset pin on the spring pack itself to shift the axle over. Not sure the answer. Truck drives and tracks ok but now that I've seen it I can't unsee it.
I’ll update once I hear back from them. But I’m sure they will tell me there is not much they can do. This is my fourth super duty and never had this problem before.

Back