Is Adaptive steering auto-added with other packages

Wanabxtrm

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
CG
Current Ride
F150 HD
I’ve been cross shopping a lot; and have narrowed down nearly every option but one eludes me. Adaptive steering....

I’ve driven a few trucks that have adaptive cruise or the ultimate trailer tow/pro back up assist and do not have the adaptive steering on the window sticker, but when I pop the hood it sure looks like the electric motor is there.

Is this an automatic add with these (or other) options?

The ford web site doesn’t auto add it, nor is it listed as a requirement in the build option sheets.

Anyone have any clue about it?

thanks,
Alex.

I didn't order adaptive steering but I can see the aluminum mount on the frame behind the front left wheel. I know it is there for the pro trailer backup assist. It seems odd you can have one but not the other

I have PTBA but not adaptive cruise.......Do I have adaptive steering??? Where should I look???

I don’t have a photo, but the steering shaft enters/meets a silver motor/gearbox, prior to continuing down to the hydraulic Portion where it connects and splits to the wheels. As noted by raptortremor above it has a big silver aluminum bracket that wraps around And mounts to the frame rail of the drivers side just aft of the wheel.

Edit: turns out that box (in the engine bay) is not the adaptive steering box, it is the pro trailer backup assist actuator, which mechanically makes sense. Adaptive steering is in the steering wheel itself; despite some internet comments otherwise

took some digging but found it here at roughly the minute 13 mark...

1600783535464.png

Now I’m back to the question of whether it’s worth it or not... one more thing to fail, though I expect if it fails you’d be back to ‘normal’ steering.

Cheers!

Edit: turns out that box (in the engine bay) is not the adaptive steering box, it is the pro trailer backup assist actuator, which mechanically makes sense. Adaptive steering is in the steering wheel itself; despite some internet comments otherwise

View attachment 5722

Now I’m back to the question of whether it’s worth it or not... one more thing to fail, though I expect if it fails you’d be back to ‘normal’ steering.

Cheers!
I added a thread on it. I have it ( I know because I ordered the truck). After getting used to it I like it. I would hate it on a car but on the 1 ton its great. Not sure its worth the $$$ but I figure I already paid a pile of money for the truck anyway. I am just used to it now and don't even think about it.

View attachment 5722

Cheers!
Thank you for this post. Just took delivery of a 2021 with Platinum trim. I have read mixed things about whether or not adaptive steering is added by default. I did not see it on the window sticker nor in the build information.

So I just fired the truck up. Wheel centered made a single 180 degree rotation, another 180, another 180... so that should have stopped at 540’ ish degrees. Hover was able to make just about another 90 degree rotation and then stopped.

So based on that video... deductive logic says I have a Platinum Package with NO ADAPTIVE Steering.

Since I’ve never had it... I’m good with it not being there.

Also confirms the theory that if the truck is wandering for the first 500+ miles is must be due to the tires breaking in.

Thanks Tremor folks for posting stuff which solves this mystery.

We’re all so smart we should try building a space shuttle. We can do this.

I’ve been cross shopping a lot; and have narrowed down nearly every option but one eludes me. Adaptive steering....

I’ve driven a few trucks that have adaptive cruise or the ultimate trailer tow/pro back up assist and do not have the adaptive steering on the window sticker, but when I pop the hood it sure looks like the electric motor is there.

Is this an automatic add with these (or other) options?

The ford web site doesn’t auto add it, nor is it listed as a requirement in the build option sheets.

Anyone have any clue about it?

thanks,
Alex.
The adaptive steering is not included with anything in the Lariat trim packages and needs to be added separately. I don't know if it's included with one of the higher trim packages.
Edit: It appears that the Limited trim comes with it but doesn't come as a Tremor

Last edited:
I had to add it for my 21 platnium.

Back