iPhone battery life

830Tremor

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor (Coming soon)
2022 tremor. Sync 4. iPhone 12.

Haven’t come up with much related to my issue searching online. iPhone battery is drastically draining while utilizing Apple car play. Noticed with wireless usage and while wired.

For instance 40 min drive drained 19% while not utilizing pandora or anything related to CarPlay other than getting text alerts. Same return trip I disabled CarPlay on my iPhone. Only drained 3%.

Anyone else experiencing similar issue? Known solution? Reset iPhone and latest iOS installed.

I have a wireless adapter for my 2021. While connected to the adapter the battery does drain faster because it’s constantly connected and receiving the signal. Just like if you’re connected to something Bluetooth, your battery will drain faster.

When I work out I usually listen to Pandora. 30-60 minute workout and don’t notice a big impact on battery life with using cellular data + Bluetooth to my AirPods + Apple Watch.

In all seriousness, it is still draining when you are plugged in? Do you have a USB-C charging port on your 2022? The 2020-2021 can use the USB-C for wired CarPlay. That will charge the fastest. I use mine all the time streaming music and using Apple Maps. My phone always has more charge after the drive.

Check your battery usage on the iPhone. Go to settings then scroll down to battery. Screenshot the usage before your drive. Then screenshot after your drive. Take a look at what battery usage increased the most during your drive.

My guess is either an app is running in the background- maybe location settings within the app. Or Sync 4 software working with this version of IOS. Just make sure all software and apps are up to date as well. Power cycle your phone too and see if that helps. Post your findings after looking at battery usage. I’d be glad to help you continue to diagnose.

Both carplay and AA will drain your battery rapidly. So rapidly that the wireless charger will probably only maintain the phone charge level it started at with some phones.

Wireless carplay/AA is super new. They'll improve the efficiency as it starts to become more common now. And with sync 4 we should see improvement from the truck side too.

In all seriousness, it is still draining when you are plugged in? Do you have a USB-C charging port on your 2022? The 2020-2021 can use the USB-C for wired CarPlay. That will charge the fastest. I use mine all the time streaming music and using Apple Maps. My phone always has more charge after the drive.

Check your battery usage on the iPhone. Go to settings then scroll down to battery. Screenshot the usage before your drive. Then screenshot after your drive. Take a look at what battery usage increased the most during your drive.

My guess is either an app is running in the background- maybe location settings within the app. Or Sync 4 software working with this version of IOS. Just make sure all software and apps are up to date as well. Power cycle your phone too and see if that helps. Post your findings after looking at battery usage. I’d be glad to help you continue to diagnose.
Wasn’t gaining much ground on usb charger yesterday. I’ll try your suggestions and report back. Thanks!

I noticed that right away with my 2022. I’ve got an IPhone X and it will get super hot with the wireless CarPlay. With the wired CarPlay in my 2017 F150, it would get warm on occasion.

I’ve take to just plugging it in if I’m going to be going for a longer drive.

I use wireless CarPlay on the 2021, with a MagSafe charger, and my battery charges while in use.

Sounds like an issue with whatever you’re using to charge.

Re connected car play this morning. Wireless. Listened to pandora and was on 10 min call. Same drive as before (40 min) Only used 2% battery.

So hopefully that was the solution. Was the iPhone setting under general —> CarPlay

Update. Problem repeated itself again a couple times. Under my iPhone settings I disabled wireless CarPlay. Battery seems fine on my phone so only have linked to wireless CarPlay. I changed out my usb cord for a USB-C charging port and have just been relying on wired CarPlay. Seems fine and my phone stays charged and doesn’t get warm/hot as it did before when wireless was enabled.

however I have noticed my truck screen occasionally glitches when using CarPlay. Like a monitor with poor connection. Haven’t noticed otherwise when I’m not using CarPlay. Put in a brand new phone cable. So keeping an eye on that…today was first time it completely shut off and went black before coming back on.

never had CarPlay before. Enjoy it but it certainly seems to have some bugs that need to get sorted out.

Back