Installing VHF/UHF Ham Radio

Was asking about the FTM 400 control head, I want a dual band APRS radio and the capabilities that it offers when traveling

I can’t see safely adjusting the controls on the fly from my phone & I’m not a big fan of BT
My reason on going this route was two fold, one I don't want the display, the second was this allows me to communicate in and around the truck camper. The specs are pretty good, and the cost (black Friday) was $ 109.00! We will see, if I don't like it no damage done, and go another route.

Did the FTM-400, I have 3 of them and love the radio. Did the same thing I did in my 2001 Expedition with the head, mounted it to the overhead panel. Box went behind the rear passenger side seat. Wires down the pillar and above the headliner so its super clean. A few people did not like this, said it might interfere with the motion sensors or whatever, they seem to still work fine. I think 7 years now in the expedition with not one issue, 2.5 years in the new truck and no issues so far. Hope its one of those things that you do and never touch again!

View attachment 105432View attachment 105433View attachment 105434

I thought about mounting the head up where you have it but the way I sit it’s not easy to see or use

Great install! Very clean. How are you connecting the microphone? What’s that box? Since the FTM mic cable is really a pain to extend. TIA.
By coincidence I was going through old paperwork and found the HRO receipt, its a Yaesu MEK-2 microphone extension kit. It allows using the factory mic or also round plug mics for other radios as well, dont remember what brand.

By coincidence I was going through old paperwork and found the HRO receipt, its a Yaesu MEK-2 microphone extension kit. It allows using the factory mic or also round plug mics for other radios as well, dont remember what brand.

Awesome. Thanks. I looked for weeks for a quality extension and never found the Yaesu solution 🤦‍♂️

Anybody successfully install the BuiltRight backseat mount on a 2023 superduty, or locate another mount compatible with that MY?

Anybody run across an installation video for the Bullet Proof Third Brake Light Antenna on a 2022 or 23 Superduty Crew Cab (23 preferably). How difficult to install the version with no aux lighting...i.e. how challenging to route the coax cables from the brake light area down to the back seat? (want to execute that install on a new 23 Tremor. Thanks

Anybody run across an installation video for the Bullet Proof Third Brake Light Antenna on a 2022 or 23 Superduty Crew Cab (23 preferably). How difficult to install the version with no aux lighting...i.e. how challenging to route the coax cables from the brake light area down to the back seat? (want to execute that install on a new 23 Tremor. Thanks
Don’t know for a 23, but there are some YouTube vids for a 22. It was very simple to do. The instructions they give aren’t super clear, but with the video guide, makes way more sense. There’s access holes in the roof that go above the headliner, so very easy to get the coax into the cab and routed down the pillar to wherever you need it. There’s a guy in here, Ray something, that has a YouTube channel and he had a video for a 22

Back