Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera

strykerpsg

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Military
Army (1991-2016)
Current Ride
2022 F250 King Ranch Antimatter Blue (25 SEP 2022)
Current Ride #2
2019 Challenger Redeye (5 JAN 2019)
I ordered this option for my recently arrived KR. I didn't realize it's a dealer installed option. Well, it finally arrived. I was called by the dealer today to tell me they no longer install this piece, as it's wiring harness is under sized and runs over cost on labor hours to install. While I find that hard to believe, I wanted to ask those that have installed it, themselves or by a dealership.

1. Is the kit worth it?
2. Did your install or dealer find it difficult to install?
3. Can this link to your display as a rear view camera, on all the time?

Ultimately, my inbound Black Series HQ21 has a back up camera addition that was not offered last year, so major win. However, I would really love to find a camera setup that works well with not only backing up, but providing a full time rear view camera too.

Thoughts?

Wow! 2 weeks old and no one has bought this bit of kit for towing? I am truly shocked.

Last edited:
I don’t have the kit so I can’t answer any of your questions. If your talking about running the wire to the back of your trailer for the camera than I believe that’s on you to install. I thought I read somewhere that it was an easy install on the truck just a matter of unhooking one harness and plug-in the new harness along with changing out the hook up for the camper. Hopefully someone else can help you out as I have no first hand knowledge

It isn't dealer installed automatically. It's on you. There are you tube videos showing folks that have installed this kit. Worth it? If you need a camera on the back of your trailer, then I suppose it is. I have the TPMS part of the kit, minus the camera. Well worth it IMO to be able to monitor your tire pressure from your dash display. It's not hard to install if you have basical mechanical abilities and a little time.

I considered the Ford Camera, but bought a 3 Camera Kit from Camera Source. It interfaces with the Ford System and offers Side View Cameras that mount to the trailer and works with the Turn Signals. Much simpler and better Camera. It was more expensive, but it worked flawlessly ..

I don’t have the kit so I can’t answer any of your questions. If your talking about running the wire to the back of your trailer for the camera than I believe that’s on you to install. I thought I read somewhere that it was an easy install on the truck just a matter of unhooking one harness and plug-in the new harness along with changing out the hook up for the camper. Hopefully someone else can help you out as I have no first hand knowledge
I posted because I assumed it's fairly straightforward to install but the sales guy mentioned their service department wouldn't install it because it was challenging. That got my attention. When I asked if he could elaborate a bit, he didn't. So, just not sure how to react to a Ford salesperson not promoting their product. Thanks for the answer. I think I will hold off for now and research other options.
It isn't dealer installed automatically. It's on you. There are you tube videos showing folks that have installed this kit. Worth it? If you need a camera on the back of your trailer, then I suppose it is. I have the TPMS part of the kit, minus the camera. Well worth it IMO to be able to monitor your tire pressure from your dash display. It's not hard to install if you have basical mechanical abilities and a little time.
You're right about the install. I was just taken back when my salesperson didn't recommend it. I too would like the TPMS feature since I plan to inflate and deflate when travelling off road. Thanks for the answer.
I considered the Ford Camera, but bought a 3 Camera Kit from Camera Source. It interfaces with the Ford System and offers Side View Cameras that mount to the trailer and works with the Turn Signals. Much simpler and better Camera. It was more expensive, but it worked flawlessly ..
I am leaning this way more and more. The 2022 Black Series travel trailer comes with a rear view camera. I am just not certain if it's a back up only or combo rear view and back up, so I really am researching more than anything else. Thanks for replying.

Any chance you can share the model number and perhaps a link? Thanks.

Hi…I have the customer camera and trailer Tpms on order with my truck. It is scheduled to be built week of 15 November. You definitely made me rethink this a bit. I went to the camera source website…not sure I found the same product to which you are referring.
Is this what you installed?
Thanks….Steve.

Hi…I have the customer camera and trailer Tpms on order with my truck. It is scheduled to be built week of 15 November. You definitely made me rethink this a bit. I went to the camera source website…not sure I found the same product to which you are referring.
Is this what you installed?
Thanks….Steve.
Very similar but my cameras were hard wired. When the Trailer was plugged in it over-rode the Factory Backup and side Cameras and projected the ones on the trailer. Same thing for the Turn Signals, The side cameras on the trailer illuminated on the nav screen. Also, look into NavTv. There's a group buy here on the Forum going on now. This is an old picture. But it'll give you an idea of what the side cameras are capable of. When the Trailer is plugged in, adding the side Cameras to the Trailer will be the source.
IMG_1736.JPG

Any chance you can share the model number and perhaps a link? Thanks.
Sorry, that was a few trucks ago. But, theres a group buy going on now with NavTV. I think it's the F53 (??) module you'll want. Call and talk to them. Explain you want Trailer Cameras to be incorporated into you system.
You can get the same results with their products. I visited their facility in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago and had the module installed there. Then had the Cameras and wiring added the Trailer when I had it built. Very cool, plug and play system. Don't let a couple thousand $$ scare ya. You'll save that much by avoiding your first dent.

Be aware that the Camera Source kit says
Notes about the included interface module:
  • Truck must have a rear view camera that was installed at the factory and is displayed on your factory SYNC 3 radio screen. Not compatible with factory 360 surround view display.
That is part of the Ultimate Trailer Towing System. I believe this was standard on some trim levels.

I have this kit on my 2020. It’s NOT dealer installed. Thus the name “customer” placed. It’s a simple install. Take the part that has the towing connectors on it out first. You can get on the ground and reach between the bumper and the spare and disconnect the clips that hold the factory tow connectors into the bumper. Then just unplug the connections, plug the new block in included with the kit and snap it back into the bumper. This takes about 2 minutes. The rest of the kit is you running the included harness under your trailer to the back where you want to mount the camera. Easy install.

Very similar but my cameras were hard wired. When the Trailer was plugged in it over-rode the Factory Backup and side Cameras and projected the ones on the trailer. Same thing for the Turn Signals, The side cameras on the trailer illuminated on the nav screen. Also, look into NavTv. There's a group buy here on the Forum going on now. This is an old picture. But it'll give you an idea of what the side cameras are capable of. When the Trailer is plugged in, adding the side Cameras to the Trailer will be the source. View attachment 36916
Thank you for the info…

I installed my customer placed trailer camera. It is easy. Swapping the truck bumper connector with the version that has a spot to connect the camera was super easy. Just required dropping the spare tire. The hardest part is running the cable the length of the trailer since the trailer camera is hard wired. I bought several 3M sticky clips to help route the cable under the trailer. Depending on your trailer and whether the frame is exposed this may be easy or challenging. I bought a rolling lay flat sled from harbor freight because I spent multiple hours under my trailer sticking and zip tying the cable. Not hard. Just tedious.

Sorry, that was a few trucks ago. But, theres a group buy going on now with NavTV. I think it's the F53 (??) module you'll want. Call and talk to them. Explain you want Trailer Cameras to be incorporated into you system.
You can get the same results with their products. I visited their facility in Ft Lauderdale a few years ago and had the module installed there. Then had the Cameras and wiring added the Trailer when I had it built. Very cool, plug and play system. Don't let a couple thousand $$ scare ya. You'll save that much by avoiding your first dent.
No need to apologize at all. I will indeed reach out to them. I just find it hard to believe that we cannot link into an already very nice camera set up and somehow replace or modify your rear view mirror with a new one that acts as your in motion rear view set up.
Be aware that the Camera Source kit says
Notes about the included interface module:
  • Truck must have a rear view camera that was installed at the factory and is displayed on your factory SYNC 3 radio screen. Not compatible with factory 360 surround view display.
That is part of the Ultimate Trailer Towing System. I believe this was standard on some trim levels.
I am hoping with the release of SYNC 4 that this too can be addressed and overcome. I do have the ultimate trailer towing package, just want a bit more out of it.

I installed my customer placed trailer camera. It is easy. Swapping the truck bumper connector with the version that has a spot to connect the camera was super easy. Just required dropping the spare tire. The hardest part is running the cable the length of the trailer since the trailer camera is hard wired. I bought several 3M sticky clips to help route the cable under the trailer. Depending on your trailer and whether the frame is exposed this may be easy or challenging. I bought a rolling lay flat sled from harbor freight because I spent multiple hours under my trailer sticking and zip tying the cable. Not hard. Just tedious.
I was able to change the plug without lowering the tire. Just had to lay on my back and un-snap the connectors.

Back