In the shop since tuesday - My dealer sucks

jhblaze1

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Agate Black 6.7 Tremor
Current Ride #2
Ducati Diavel 1260S
So as you know from my other thread, my hubs are not auto locking. I also have a squeak in the front end over moderate bumps...most noticeable over speed humps.

I was going to just wait til my first oil change to mention the squeak as I'm sure it's just a lube issue somewhere but then I discovered the hubs not locking issue so made an appt. After sales service at my dealership is non existent. I emailed my sales guy after hours last Friday, figuring he'd see it on Sat morning and get back to me. 1pm saturday still no call or email response. I had initially gone to him first since we have a relationship and thought it would be quicker than just calling the service dept. Anyway with no response I call Service directly. No answer, just VM....ok so I leave a VM and never get a call back. Meantime, I call my sales guy and he answers first ring. I'm like "hey so did you get my email"....He says "oh yeah I saw it but haven't had a chance to look into it yet, it's month end so it's crazy busy here".

This infuriated me. though I kept it to myself. Customer service 101 is you don't tell your customers/clients that you can't help them bc you're busy. Customers really don't give a fuck how busy you are. The ask was that you take less than 5 mins to go make me a service appt. That's it. What I DO care about is the $93,000 truck you sold me that had a broken 4wd component from the day I drove it off your lot.

So anyway, I play nice to maintain relationship. He tells me he'll walk my email over to service "right now" and call me back within the hour. I never got a call back. So on Monday I called service again and spoke to a human and made an appt for Wednesday at 8:15. I was told "if you're running late, make sure you call us and let us know". First of all this sort of implies they actually have plans to stick to appointment times and so my truck would be on a lift pretty quickly. I tell him, well I work so maybe it's better if I drop it off Tuesday evening so it's already there for you guys on wednesday morning. So I go drop it off tuesday night.

The service girl refuses me a loaner. Tells me the policy is that they don't do loaners until they can get into the truck and figure out what's going on and if it's warrantable. So again, I play nice and let it go. I'm working from home and can get by without a vehicle. Still, when someone buys a $93K truck from you and it's broken from the start you should be bending over backwards to throw me into a loaner and make me happy. Secondly, look at your computer dumb dumb. What is the sale's date? It's fucking warrantable. I don't say any of this and let it go. So I hand in my keys and say "so you'll call me tomorrow with an update"....she says "Maybe it depends on how long it takes them to get in there and figure it out, they get really busy back there". Again I let it go to be nice, but really the word "busy" should not exist in the vocabulary of a client facing rep. I have an appointment so I do not fucking care how busy you are. All I'm asking for is a text message or quick call to say "you're trucks on a lift but we haven't found it yet" or "we figured it out but need to order parts" or "it's fixed, come get it". Not rocket science.

So I never get any update on Wednesday and within 2 hours of them closing on Thursday I call to check in. The girl I dropped it off with answers. I give her my name and say "just looking for a status update on my truck, the f350 platinum tremor I dropped off with you on tuesday". I hear her typing away and then she starts with "you dropped it off here? at this dealership? when?" Again I say " um tuesday with you, personally". She says "hmmmmm let me see.....what kind of truck is it?"......"um a black F350 Platinum Tremor".....she says "and did you leave it with me?".....Again I'm like "yes with you, personally. we've met".

So she puts me on hold for about 10 mins and comes back "This is strange I don't see it hold on"......then she comes back "ah I've found it", "so what could I help you with?".......me, "um a status update, have you found the issue or fixed my truck yet? even looked at it yet? anyone there aware of its existence?". She then puts me on hold again for 5 mins because she needs to go talk to her "dispatcher" to get an update. Comes back and tells me they replicated the squeak but don't know what the issue is yet, and haven't gotten to the hubs yet .....WAIT FOR IT....."because it's just so busy here we haven't been able to free up a lift yet but hopefully soon".

So this is when I stopped being nice. Basically said something like "no that's not acceptable. I had an appointment for yesterday morning and I really don't care how busy you are. I'd get fired for saying that to one of my clients. I didn't expect it to necessarily be fixed by today but that you haven't even looked at it is absolutely unacceptable. It's a week and a half old $93K truck that you sold to me in broken condition. I frankly don't give a shit if other people were there before me, a truck that you sold in broken condition should jump to the front of the line. I'm not waiting for someone's certified pre owned focus to get the oil changed, call them and tell them you're too busy to work on their car and get to work on the one you sold to someone not in working order. Prioritize"

So the service manager called apologizing all over himself and saying they're making it a top priority but that no customer is more important that another. I explain that while I understand that, you need to prioritize to some extent. when someone comes back within 2 weeks of a sale, it's frankly more important than an oil change on a 2 year old car. Emergency rooms are first come first served when conditions are equal but they triage for severity. Maybe you should adopt some sort of triage policy bc frankly yes my issue is higher priority than someone's fucking oil change.

I know some people will say I'm being a Karen or entitled but I disagree. I've never had a job where I can just tell people "tough shit we're busy". After sales service matters. I had a pretty good sales experience there but it's crystal clear that once you sign they absolutely do not give half a shit about providing any sort of customer service. I'd have more respect for them if they just said "we've got your money, fuck you". I may be in the market next year for an SUV for my wife when her lease is up and the new explorers look solid. Do they think a customer would ever return after being treated this way? no fucking way will they ever get another sale from me.

Dude, you made an appointment to be ignored and lied to.

I'm being ignored and lied to by my dealer's sales dept.
One reason I'm persevering is that their service dept has been good to me for many years. You make an appointment and they're usually back to you in a few hours. There's a disconnect in there somewhere.

Last edited:
As a person in sales myself. What she did is a no no in the sales industry. What she did just infuriates customers instead of the descalating the situation and making it right.

The part about making an appointment kills me. Make an appointment with you that means absolutely nothing to them.

At my Ram dealer, the appointment means simply a drop-off/check in time, but has nothing at all to do with working on the truck. And I have to drive 90 miles to get there.

Sounds like the same deal with your dealer.

It's one of the things that scares me about Ford. Over and over people say they can't get their broken truck even looked at for a long time. And then parts seem to never be available without delay either. Now imagine if they had to pull the cab off, while you were out on a trip somewhere many miles from home, and then wait for parts. Yikes!

I've found that it's best to argue with the service and sales managers while standing in front of the reception counter on the sales floor about how you bought a new truck here because you expected quality service but you aren't feeling like they are providing said quality service. Bonus points when other potential customers are there watching.

At least this method has gotten results for me. However that dealership did not get a chance at this order.

It's one of the things that scares me about Ford. Over and over people say they can't get their broken truck even looked at for a long time. And then parts seem to never be available without delay either. Now imagine if they had to pull the cab off, while you were out on a trip somewhere many miles from home, and then wait for parts. Yikes!
When I bought a BMW i got cheese and wine in the showroom but honestly I think BMW's aren't all their cracked up to be and won't buy another.

Try an Audi for fun and if you need a part, no problem it'll be here in two weeks from Germany because we don't stock anything.

It's a roll of the dice and service just plain sucks in nearly every function of our daily lives, especially now.

The part about making an appointment kills me. Make an appointment with you that means absolutely nothing to them.

At my Ram dealer, the appointment means simply a drop-off/check in time, but has nothing at all to do with working on the truck. And I have to drive 90 miles to get there.

Sounds like the same deal with your dealer.

when the manager called back he used Covid as an excuse and I get that to an extent. He said he had 4 people out this week bc of it and then noted that they didn't actually have covid but if you even have a runny nose you can't come to work....so I get that's a challenge to manage around.

And I know covid is a driver around supply chain issues world wide...so I get all that.....what pissed me off though is not getting updates, my sales guy not even bothering to take a few mins to get an appointment, and having 3 people tell me "we're so busy" as if I give a shit about that. Then just call with the fucking update and say "sorry I wanted to give you an update on your truck, we're a bit backed up over here but we're doing our best to prioritize it".....instead of "maybe we can call you with an update but like we're like so totally busy here"......lol

Shit happens. Shit breaks. no big deal and not their fault just inconvenient, but their approach to handling it is infuriating.

When I bought a BMW i got cheese and wine in the showroom but honestly I think BMW's aren't all their cracked up to be and won't buy another.

Try an Audi for fun and if you need a part, no problem it'll be here in two weeks from Germany because we don't stock anything.

It's a roll of the dice and service just plain sucks in nearly every function of our daily lives, especially now.
yeah no one wants to stock anything....JIT inventory is cheaper. But it results in shitty customer service. Luckily my issue has a workaround with manually locking hubs so if they could just diagnose it today I can take my truck back and then return it when a part comes in.

Long story but this is how customer service is done:

When I was having my ducati problems, Ducati of Newport Beach bent over backwards for me. When I first called about it leaking oil the sales guy was like oh i'm sure it's no big deal, probably came overfilled from the factory but you have your first service coming up so you can just wait til then unless you really want us to look at it now.....I was like sure in 2 weeks when I bring it in for oil change is fine.

They couldn't figure it out but cleaned out the airbox and made sure to refill the oil to spec. They called me proactively the next day to ask if it was leaking again after my long ride home. I said no and figured it was resolved. A few hundred more miles and the leak returned meaning it was obvious it was taking time for the oil to get into the airbox and leak out the vent tube. So I called and told him and said I wanted to ride it back down there and he was like "Oh no way dude, We'll send our bike ambulance to come get it, can we come get it today"

When they still couldn't figure it out they told me they've escalated it to Ducati North America and Ducati Bologna and the regional service rep just happened to be in so he was involved. The service manager asked me if he could take my bike home with him and run a few commuting cycles to see if it leaked for him. I said sure. He called and told me he had oil on his garage floor too and wanted to keep the bike in the shop and run a leak down test. I said go for it. He called me every 2 days or so to tell me that no one can figure it out but they're still working on it. It reached 30 days which in CA is the lemon cutoff and he told me they were authorized to replace my motor's upper (jugs, pistons etc) and I said honestly it's a brand new bike I'd rather exercise my rights to a buy back. He said ok, call Ducati at this number and tell them that and conference us in in they give you any difficulty.

Then they called me insisting I take a loaner bike, same model. It was a demo bike with like 10 miles on it that hadn't been demo'd yet. He told me to keep it as long as I needed and ride it like it was mine and don't sweat the miles. After DNA agreed to do a buy back, Newport offered the demo bike to me for $2K below my original deal or roughly so. He said they're not typically allowed to do that until they've had a demo bike for 90 days, but they argued with Ducati North America to get me that discount. I said sure let's do it. Then when I went to pick it up they told me to pick out any helmet I wanted. So I got a Ducati branded $800 Arai helmet. The owner came out to talk to me and told me the helmet was a gift from the dealership bc DNA wouldn't authorize any more discounts. He said after everything you've been thru I figured you deserve a top shelf helmet.

I'm a ducati guy and will buy more. Even if I move back to the east coast I will buy my next ducati from Newport beach and ship it across the country. They've earned my loyalty for life.

when the manager called back he used Covid as an excuse and I get that to an extent. He said he had 4 people out this week bc of it and then noted that they didn't actually have covid but if you even have a runny nose you can't come to work....so I get that's a challenge to manage around.

And I know covid is a driver around supply chain issues world wide...so I get all that.....what pissed me off though is not getting updates, my sales guy not even bothering to take a few mins to get an appointment, and having 3 people tell me "we're so busy" as if I give a shit about that. Then just call with the fucking update and say "sorry I wanted to give you an update on your truck, we're a bit backed up over here but we're doing our best to prioritize it".....instead of "maybe we can call you with an update but like we're like so totally busy here"......lol

Shit happens. Shit breaks. no big deal and not their fault just inconvenient, but their approach to handling it is infuriating.
Completely understand your frustration. All you're asking for is a status update. Simple. Unfortunately, I really don't have much faith in any dealer or manufacturer anymore.

Dealer after the sale:
"Hey, we really appreciate your business, although we aren't going to communicate with you in a timely manner or provide the level of service commensurate with the price of your truck."

The manufacturer is not much better.
"Here at Ford we care about quality, we have the best, longest lasting trucks, blah, blah, blah, but we told QC to not inspect anything, and its up to your local dealer to resolve the problems that shouldn't have left the factory--mainly because we're selling them as fast as we build them, so quality takes a back seat to our production quota."

The plandemic has compounded everything above.

Yeah, you mean they don't have some roller setup to check the 4WD and hubs before it rolls out the door?

When we picked up our Volvo in Sweden we got a factory tour and got to see the final QC checks done by the Swedish Bikini Team! o_O

Yeah, you mean they don't have some roller setup to check the 4WD and hubs before it rolls out the door?
exactly my point....like why wouldn't you just put it on an a lift, shift to 4wd in drive and see if the fucking front wheels turn? how hard is that?

I guess just not standard practice. You'd think that would be checked at the factory or the dealer before delivering.

I guess just not standard practice. You'd think that would be checked at the factory or the dealer before delivering.

I’ll bet a dollar that the tech who did the pre-delivery inspection ticked a box saying he verified functionality of the 4WD system.

The reality is that he always checks that box without checking the truck.

I’ll bet a dollar that the tech who did the pre-delivery inspection ticked a box saying he verified functionality of the 4WD system.

The reality is that he always checks that box without checking the truck.
could be that that checklist item just says to turn the knob and see if an error comes up. The hubs failing to lock throws no error, but the xfer case failing to engage would as I understand.

Last edited:
It sucks to have to deal with a bad dealer. The dealership I buy from was started by an Air Force vet and is now run by his family. The employees are great. I will give you a few examples: When I am in quick lane getting serviced, I watch the mechanics.......they are always reaching for their torque wrench's when they rotate tires. I use the oil I provide them......tech came out to verify with me that I wanted 15-40 in my truck and not 5-40.........It is almost impossible to get a service appointment, they are 2 0r 3 weeks out. But when you come in, your vehicle gets serviced! They do an incredible job and if its a covered part they always do it for free. Alot of dealerships will claim the parts aren't covered (like at 4 years under the 5 year powertrain warranty) and try and screw you. My sales person saw my truck at detail last week and all of a sudden at 630 pm I get a text from Jennie, asking me if thats my beautiful Velocity Blue Tremor gettin washed......thats customer service. Lafayette Ford in Fayetteville NC might not be the cheapest place to buy a vehicle.....but I will buy my next (8th) vehicle from them since 2014 cause they always make it happen for me.....and that is more important than saving a few hundred bucks on a complicated machine like a TREMOR!

It sucks to have to deal with a bad dealer. The dealership I buy from was started by an Air Force vet and is now run by his family. The employees are great. I will give you a few examples: When I am in quick lane getting serviced, I watch the mechanics.......they are always reaching for their torque wrench's when they rotate tires. I use the oil I provide them......tech came out to verify with me that I wanted 15-40 in my truck and not 5-40.........It is almost impossible to get a service appointment, they are 2 0r 3 weeks out. But when you come in, your vehicle gets serviced! They do an incredible job and if its a covered part they always do it for free. Alot of dealerships will claim the parts aren't covered (like at 4 years under the 5 year powertrain warranty) and try and screw you. My sales person saw my truck at detail last week and all of a sudden at 630 pm I get a text from Jennie, asking me if thats my beautiful Velocity Blue Tremor gettin washed......thats customer service. Lafayette Ford in Fayetteville NC might not be the cheapest place to buy a vehicle.....but I will buy my next (8th) vehicle from them since 2014 cause they always make it happen for me.....and that is more important than saving a few hundred bucks on a complicated machine like a TREMOR!
Lack of torque wrench use is a factor in why I didn’t order from my last dealer again.

Back