In cab accessory power.

Kernaljonboy

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2006 GMC Canyon
Current Ride #2
2021 F-250 Tremor
Last night I was looking at how I plan to wire up my dash cam and I need a constant 12v and an accessory power (switched 12v) for the camera. I have the upfitter switches and I know that there is the wires I need in the group of wires for that but I got to thinking that Ford makes it nice to hook up outside accessories with the upfitter system but it why didn’t they give us a connection panel or wires inside the cab for hardwired accessories like dash cams or CB Radios.

Last night I was looking at how I plan to wire up my dash cam and I need a constant 12v and an accessory power (switched 12v) for the camera. I have the upfitter switches and I know that there is the wires I need in the group of wires for that but I got to thinking that Ford makes it nice to hook up outside accessories with the upfitter system but it why didn’t they give us a connection panel or wires inside the cab for hardwired accessories like dash cams or CB Radios.
Try one of these perhaps?

66A61EB9-158D-41D0-90AE-B7EE17827E00.jpeg

In my Raptor I used a Posi-Tap on the rear view mirror power which comes on when the vehicle is in accessory or running mode. Have not made this decision yet in the Tremor but it is an option. Here is a link to the product. I like these better than the larger blade type taps.

Try one of these perhaps?

View attachment 9143
That’s probably what I will do. I was just thinking that since Ford offers the upfitter switch option for accessories that maybe they could have stubbed off wires for interior accessories without having to splice into other wires.

There is also a wire in the PTO/high idle bundle you can use. I use it for my GPS/dashcam. I think it's only 5a though.

it's CBP22, green/orange

Thanks. I was looking at that bundle and was going to start probing the wires to see if any had the power options that I want.

I think in the up fitter wire bundle there is an additional wire for a switched power source that doesn't use an upfitter circuit. i think it's for the PTO/ high idle/ etc accessories. not sure the amperage

Anyone solve this problem for the 23 MY?

I’ve used the pto wire in the past to switch a relay with a direct line to the battery via the upfitter pass through but the wires on my 23 are much higher gauge than my 21 if my memory serves me correctly. Plan on running a radar detector and a small cb….Sure it would be fine but airing on the side of caution.

Depending on the dashcam brand, they make a "dongle" which is a type of jumper that you simply unplug the rear view mirror connector and plug in your dashcam, no splicing or wiring, mine took me 5 mins to install.

2023 stuff....Page 78 shows Pin 17 BN/BU wire for switched 12V power

Personally I'd use the pass thru wires to either feed into the cab a relay sourced battery power tap. I hate the whole "tap a fuse" thing.
You are a saint!! This is a great doc, now I just need to be able to read it as it’s pretty confusing lol.

My understanding is that there is a blunt cut bundle of wires in the passenger footwell, that’s what this is referring to, right!?

In terms of the pass through wires. Have you seen the gauge for 2023? They are probably 18 gauge or greater. Not sure I am comfortable putting something like a cb with that wire feeding the relay. Maybe I am being overly cautious though …

You are a saint!! This is a great doc, now I just need to be able to read it as it’s pretty confusing lol.

My understanding is that there is a blunt cut bundle of wires in the passenger footwell, that’s what this is referring to, right!?

In terms of the pass through wires. Have you seen the gauge for 2023? They are probably 18 gauge or greater. Not sure I am comfortable putting something like a cb with that wire feeding the relay. Maybe I am being overly cautious though …
CB units are lower power output- can’t recall exactly, but something like maybe 10 watts?? HAM radios are higher power- some in the 65 watt range output range. Usually they have fuses on the power leads and you can use that fuse as a gauge as to the max power consumption. The wires powering the unit should be at least the same gauge as the power wires for the unit to be safe, if not smaller numeric gauge.

Yes the main issues here is that the 30 pole on the relay which sources power directly from the battery would be using a small gauge wire if using the upfitter firewall pass through bundle. I plan to use this circuit to power all my in cab accessories and have it switched via ignition.

@HeavyAssault just went and checked it out. No blue brown wire in the footwell that I can see.

Yes the main issues here is that the 30 pole on the relay which sources power directly from the battery would be using a small gauge wire if using the upfitter firewall pass through bundle. I plan to use this circuit to power all my in cab accessories and have it switched via ignition.

@HeavyAssault just went and checked it out. No blue brown wire in the footwell that I can see.
It's part of a bundle. Historically Ford doesn't make them easy to get to for some reason.

Anyone solve this problem for the 23 MY?

I’ve used the pto wire in the past to switch a relay with a direct line to the battery via the upfitter pass through but the wires on my 23 are much higher gauge than my 21 if my memory serves me correctly. Plan on running a radar detector and a small cb….Sure it would be fine but airing on the side of caution.
Erring on the side of caution, thought you would want to know. Root verb is err, related to noun error,

Erring on the side of caution, thought you would want to know. Root verb is err, related to noun error,

Lol, you have 7 other posts on this site... and this is what you choose to contribute? Thank you for the lesson though, I've actually never spelt this word out.

It's part of a bundle. Historically Ford doesn't make them easy to get to for some reason.
Any idea what this would look like? I am assume a number of wires with rubber/plastic coating... similar to what's found on the end of the upfitter connections?

I haven't seen the inside of a '23. It's usually on the passengers side behind the kick panel.

I have the 23. It's inside the passenger kick panel and it's an absolute pain in the ass to access unless you're an Olympic class yoga guru.

Back