Imagine waiting 16 weeks for this!

No great choice to be had.

I 100% would not want it if the repair was reported to carfax and whatnot. If that's not a concern, then I'd want to know how far down the truck needs to be disassembled to perform the repair. A lot of body/interior stuff never goes back together after a repair as well as it did from the assembly line.

I think if it was me I would just bite the bullet and order a 22 with the bigger screen, Sync 4, and some different packages and colors. Assuming the dealer would also be eager to make it right and sweeten the pot a bit for you.

If it was January my opinion might be different, but as of mid-April that's my take - MY 2021 versus MY 2022 assembly timeline wise.

I would think a Paintless-Dent repair could be done there. I had repair on my Mustang, it was perfect. Now that I have an understanding how it's done, I'd have no problem at all having it repaired.

I would think a Paintless-Dent repair could be done there. I had repair on my Mustang, it was perfect. Now that I have an understanding how it's done, I'd have no problem at all having it repaired.
I agree Paintless-Dent is a good idea, but as others have said, I would still be worried about it showing up on the CarFax when it comes time to sell. He would need to ask for a diminished value payout from their insurance company to make up for the hassle/lower price when trying to sell it later.

All - New to the Forum and Tremor ownership.

Similar 'event' happened with mine. 2021 F350 Tremor went in for clear bra and window tint work at the dealer. Detailer left the truck in reverse and stepped out while still running. Truck was between lift posts. Creased the drivers side from back to front, folded the drivers door against the front quarter panel, stopped when it hit another car in the shop. Less than 300 miles! Dealer made good on the deal. Picked up a new, exact replica truck with a few extras!

It sucks, but I would stay with the dealer and work to make it right.

And there is clearly paint missing so it couldn't be "Paintless"
yep, I didn't look close enough. Still, not discounting the fact that the truck is damaged, that is unfortunate. But .. reality is, I'll bet more than half you have bought a brand new Car or Truck thats had a repair done to it. Dealerships rarely disclose damage. Bumper scuffs, door dings, scratches, broken glass, stolen or missing pieces happen every day. Every single day. The only difference between a Dealership and a Parking lot is, at Dealerships, they're parked closer together, and it's not their car. No one ever knows who, or how that dent got there.

Just FYI.
guys. That’s the A pillar. It’s got a lot of metal going on in it and is a core part of crash testing. Almost a liability for Ford to sell this truck as “new”.
Similar to a reputable dealer not being able to sell a used car with a cracked windshield. It isn’t “crash worthy” and creates a liability

1. that’s hard as hell to dent like that.
2. It’s not “popping out” like a door ding
3. Id take the truck only if it was “repaired” and lots of freebies (warranty, etc) were thrown in.

Just FYI.
guys. That’s the A pillar. It’s got a lot of metal going on in it and is a core part of crash testing. Almost a liability for Ford to sell this truck as “new”.
Similar to a reputable dealer not being able to sell a used car with a cracked windshield. It isn’t “crash worthy” and creates a liability

1. that’s hard as hell to dent like that.
2. It’s not “popping out” like a door ding
3. Id take the truck only if it was “repaired” and lots of freebies (warranty, etc) were thrown in.
This is really the salient point of the dilemma.

The A pillar is critical to the resilience of the cab in event of an off center crash and has several layers of metal arranged to provide the greatest resistance to deformation or collapse. With damage like this, the fundamental crash characteristics of the vehicle have been altered - and no amount of quick fix will repair the damage the cab has sustained.

This is big damage and must be addressed accordingly.

I'm not sure there is a good fix for this damage, despite it's minor appearance. You may have to take a pass on this vehicle and use the compromised safety as a negotiating point for the next truck, be it ordered or located.

How is the sheet metal 'salient' to the A pillar structure?
I would bet that ding could not have hurt the actual steel inside.

Not sure why the quotation marks were necessary, this isn't a personal attack or an emotive issue.

---

We Know:
  1. The A-Pillar has been damaged.
  2. The structural soundness of the A-Pillar is a critical requirement in determining the survivability of those inside the cab of a truck in the event of an accident.
  3. The damage inescapably affected the layering of internal metal as they are pressed into one another and welded direct to the external sheeting. Deformation to one directly implies deformation to others - thus compromising the structure.
---

This is a crash safety issue, not a dinged quarter panel or a faulty tailgate latch. Your personal tolerance is irrelevant to the larger question of the material soundness of a $90,000 vehicle as delivered by the dealership. Only a fool would knowingly purchase a roughly six figure vehicle aware that if an emergency occurs, there is a real potential that the vehicle will not perform as specified.

In the end it comes down to some basic calculus, namely: what are your family's lives worth to you relative your tolerance for risk or inconvenience?

Note that no internet argument can say if the survivability of the cab has been compromised or not; only that a critical component in that process has been damaged. Only a thorough inspection of the damage by a party not financially vested in the sale of the vehicle can determine to what extent the safety of the cage has been compromised.

This really isn't debatable, it is evidenced in the pictures posted in OP.

Notice the role the A-pillar plays in the accident, specifically the fold location of the Tundra relative OP's damage; that's why it's salient.

Last edited:
Thats disappointing to wait so long for that to happen. Did you see if they would let you drive the truck as a loaner while waiting for a 22 to get delivered? A longshot but never hurts to ask. With truck values so insane I bet they wouldnt lose much out of the deal.

The ‘A’ pillar is the substructure underneath the skin, not the sheet metal wrapped around it. I’d be pissed also, but not sure I‘d want to wait another 4 months for a 22. Of course I’m in the minority and don’t like the new bigger screen.

Not sure why the quotation marks were necessary, this isn't a personal attack or an emotive issue.

---

We Know:
  1. The A-Pillar has been damaged.
  2. The structural soundness of the A-Pillar is a critical requirement in determining the survivability of those inside the cab of a truck in the event of an accident.
  3. The damage inescapably affected the layering of internal metal as they are pressed into one another and welded direct to the external sheeting. Deformation to one directly implies deformation to others - thus compromising the structure.
---

This is a crash safety issue, not a dinged quarter panel or a faulty tailgate latch. Your personal tolerance is irrelevant to the larger question of the material soundness of a $90,000 vehicle as delivered by the dealership. Only a fool would knowingly purchase a roughly six figure vehicle aware that if an emergency occurs, there is a real potential that the vehicle will not perform as specified.

In the end it comes down to some basic calculus, namely: what are your family's lives worth to you relative your tolerance for risk or inconvenience?

Note that no internet argument can say if the survivability of the cab has been compromised or not; only that a critical component in that process has been damaged. Only a thorough inspection of the damage by a party not financially vested in the sale of the vehicle can determine to what extent the safety of the cage has been compromised.

This really isn't debatable, it is evidenced in the pictures posted in OP.

Notice the role the A-pillar plays in the accident, specifically the fold location of the Tundra relative OP's damage; that's why it's salient.

I feel like you have experience in crash testing or autobody work. Just a hunch

Jericho, don't make so many assumptions. Until I see evidence to the contrary I'm not assuming there is more than sheet metal damage.

At this point i am still unsure what to do, i will have to check around and see the structural integrity as that is obviously a concern for me. Figured if i was to order a new truck your probably waiting 4/5 months from now. I however, would be willing to wait if it was a safety concern for me or people in the truck incase an accident does happen.

The ‘A’ pillar is the substructure underneath the skin, not the sheet metal wrapped around it. I’d be pissed also, but not sure I‘d want to wait another 4 months for a 22. Of course I’m in the minority and don’t like the new bigger screen.
On my Mustang, it is welded directly to the external aluminum. I have not had the opportunity to tear down a current gen superduty in order to verify if suddenly body and frame have become separate, unbound structures, though I sincerely doubt it.

What confuses me, is people seem to be advising OP to ignore the apparent risk and seek a pittance of negotiated settlement. It's a bizarre conversation to be a part of rather than saying 'hey, this might be okay, but this could be a huge deal' and 'before you negotiate discount, make sure the damage has been fully inspected and certified as meeting all manufacturer standards for impact resistance.

OP: I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm saying that literally no one claiming there isn't is arguing with your best interests at heart. I am saying you should watch that video and see where the failure point for passenger safety is.

Loshad: I'm the only one NOT making assumptions and literally nothing I wrote can be disproven on this thread. Quite the contrary, I call for only a thorough inspection and certification of the affected components by a third party. Any diregard of the risk and supposition as to the disposition of the vehicle is what I'm cautioning against.

On my Mustang, it is welded directly to the external aluminum. I have not had the opportunity to tear down a current gen superduty in order to verify if suddenly body and frame have become separate, unbound structures, though I sincerely doubt it.

What confuses me, is people seem to be advising OP to ignore the apparent risk and seek a pittance of negotiated settlement. It's a bizarre conversation to be a part of rather than saying 'hey, this might be okay, but this could be a huge deal' and 'before you negotiate discount, make sure the damage has been fully inspected and certified as meeting all manufacturer standards for impact resistance.

OP: I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm saying that literally no one claiming there isn't is arguing with your best interests at heart. I am saying you should watch that video and see where the failure point for passenger safety is.

Loshad: I'm the only one NOT making assumptions and literally nothing I wrote can be disproven on this thread. Quite the contrary, I call for only a thorough inspection and certification of the affected components by a third party. Any diregard of the risk and supposition as to the disposition of the vehicle is what I'm cautioning against.
since im familiar with the body shop ill give them a call after they get the car from the dealer and see what the exact damage is under that pillar and post the photos up here.

Back