Imagine Seeing This!!!!!

bmille05

Tremor Fan
Reaction Points
Military
Army
Current Ride
2020 F250 Super Duty 7.3 Tremor
So we took our 7,000lb Airstream up into the Shenandoah mountains for a camping weekend. BTW, my wife drove this time. We get to our site and I start unhitching when I saw this! The lock had fallen off during the 3 hour drive. That lock had been on the Tremor for almost a year with never an issue.

After changing my underwear and doing a shot or two just to calm down I grabbed a good old 5/8' receiver pin and a clip to replace it with.

Lesson learned.....Don't trust a lock. Go with a pin!!!!!!

Attachments

• image0.png
    image0.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
The "locks" are some of the easiest to break off and remove anyway. I ran a lock on mine for the last 10 years or so. When I lost my key to the lock to switch the drop hitch out I had to break it off. It was SUPRISINGLY easy to break. Since then I just use the pin and remove it after use.

Damn thats crazy been lucky personally with my locks but side note where in Shenandoah did you so, i go up there to hike all the time and never see any Tremors up there

That is why I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V6N64BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a pin backup with the lock.

NOTE: This model won't work on a 3" receiver.
^^ This ^^ is the one I bought for my 3” receiver and it fits just fine. I had to drill an extra hole to use the safety cotter pin, but the pin and lock themselves fit my receiver.

The problem the OP had with his locking pin losing its lock is EXACTLY why I took the time to drill a hole in a brand new locking pin, rather than return it and look for one with a safety cotter pin that would work for my 3” receiver.

95A09CED-BD34-4346-B580-544861025FB3.jpeg

84CF6DE1-36F8-4E9D-9DF8-B039929E1C10.jpeg

A665FFBE-DDE5-4569-A989-B86E9F236DF1.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the one I bought for my 3” receiver and it fits just fine. I had to drill an extra hole to use the safety cotter pin, but the pin and lock themselves fit my receiver.

The problem the OP had with his locking pin losing its lock is EXACTLY why I took the time to drill a hole in a brand new locking pin, rather than return it and look for one that would work for my 3” receiver.

View attachment 27583

View attachment 27584

View attachment 27585
This post has freaked me out. Just a couple days ago my wife and I were struggling with our locking pin. I’m drilling a hole. What size bit did you use?

This post has freaked me out. Just a couple days ago my wife and I were struggling with our locking pin. I’m drilling a hole. What size bit did you use?

My lock is also a struggle to get on as it never seems to want to grab with the little teeth. Seeing how difficult it was to get on and how small the surface area is that holds the lock in place is what convinced me to drill the hole. I bought the lock to be able to leave my Blue Ox WDH on the truck after unhooking at a campground, but I usually just take it off.

For the hole, I had to use progressively larger hardened drill bits to get through the hardened pin. The final size was 3/16”, but I went through 3 smaller sizes and 30 min of constant drilling to get there. The cheap drill bits you find at Home Depot and Lowe’s, will not get the job done with a hardened pin... ;)

My lock is also a struggle to get on as it never seems to want to grab with the little teeth. Seeing how difficult it was to get on and how small the surface area is that holds the lock in place is what convinced me to drill the hole. I bought the lock to be able to leave my Blue Ox WDH on the truck after unhooking at a campground, but I usually just take it off.

For the hole, I had to use progressively larger hardened drill bits to get through the hardened pin. The final size was 3/16”, but I went through 3 smaller sizes and 30 min of constant drilling to get there. The cheap drill bits you find at Home Depot and Lowe’s, will not get the job done with a hardened pin... ;)
Thanks for the info. For all that trouble with drilling the hole it sounds like the $35 for the Bulletproof pin is worth it.

When drilling stainless steel, use paraffin for lubrication. The bits will last longer. FYI: Ivory bar soap has paraffin ?

Thanks for the info. For all that trouble with drilling the hole it sounds like the $35 for the Bulletproof pin is worth it.
To my knowledge, the bulletproof locking pin with safety cotter pin only works on 2 or 2.5 inch receivers. The lock works on 3 inch but there isn’t a pre drilled cotter pin hole that fits the 3 inch when using the locking pin. Am I wrong?

To my knowledge, the bulletproof locking pin with safety cotter pin only works on 2 or 2.5 inch receivers. The lock works on 3 inch but there isn’t a pre drilled cotter pin hole that fits the 3 inch when using the locking pin. Am I wrong?

That sounds right. The hole for the cotter pin just barely has sufficient clearance on my 2.5".

Glad all is well, no damage and no injury just some high blood pressure.

I never keep my hitch in the receiver and only use a lock when I feel I need the security otherwise a pin. I have a whole shelf full of trailer stuff. Locks, pins, adaptors, receivers.
All ways good to keep checking your equipment at any stop along the way and have a spare with you. Check them lug nuts on the trailer too! :cool:

That is why I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V6N64BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a pin backup with the lock.

NOTE: This model won't work on a 3" receiver.

The above will work with 3" (21/2" ID), fits my F350 fine & has a pin

The above will work with 3" (21/2" ID), fits my F350 fine & has a pin
The Amazon page says it does not work with 3”. Can you please confirm if this is the correct link? Thanks!

Back