If my f350 tremor according to Ford can fith wheel nearly 22k lbs, why do so many say hauling something like a 14 to 16K Fifth wheel would be unsafe?

I love these types of threads. It’s a wonder how so many travel across the country and live to tell about.
Yet there is thread upon thread discussing towing like it’s a mathematical number sensitive mystery.

If you need advice from strangers on the internet to make you feel warm and fuzzy about your ability to tow something you are already in over your head.

I love these types of threads. It’s a wonder how so many travel across the country and live to tell about.
Yet there is thread upon thread discussing towing like it’s a mathematical number sensitive mystery.

If you need advice from strangers on the internet to make you feel warm and fuzzy about your ability to tow something you are already in over your head.

On second thought OP, go ahead and spend 100k on a 22,000# tri-axle and get after it, cuz you know, there are people cruising all over the place overloaded and they are still alive... //sarcasm//

Your payload is only 2,800# on a F350? On my 21 F350 7.3 Tremor, mine is 3,757#. With a rear axle GAWR of 6,950, I could have 3,630# of tounge weight if I had nothing else in the truck. Something doesn't sound right.
My payload is 3264 lbs on my Lariat Sport 6.7L, rear GAWR is the same as yours. I have 600 lbs left with gear in the bed, passengers and crap in the cab plus trailer tongue weight. Scale ticket equals a payload of 2600 lbs but rear axle weighs in at 6700 lbs.

On second thought OP, go ahead and spend 100k on a 22,000# tri-axle and get after it, cuz you know, there are people cruising all over the place overloaded and they are still alive... //sarcasm//
Exactly,If you have to ask. You don’t know what your doing.
There is a big Difference between someone that has no clue but are within spec and someone that knows what they are doing and are not within spec.

To your 100k point. Just because you have the money to buy don’t mean you are capable.

Case in point how many Rich old farts are driving around diesel pushers that are 40k pounds. Yet we loose our minds when someone goes over 26k GCWR.
The nut behind the wheel makes more difference than the sticker.
An example of that is when the hot shot drivers pay for a higher rating tag to be placed on their trucks. That sticker isn’t magic lol.

PAYLOAD! It’s the limfac 90% of the time. GCVWR sometimes. The 6.7 can pull my house off the foundation but can’t handle more than 3250 in payload. Period.

Bumper pulls vs 5th Wheel is entirely different.
not only that...pulling with a 3/4 or 1 ton single rear axel is entirely different than pulling with a proper dually as well.

PAYLOAD! It’s the limfac 90% of the time. GCVWR sometimes. The 6.7 can pull my house off the foundation but can’t handle more than 3250 in payload. Period.

A reasonably "in shape" family of 4 would weigh between 400-500 pounds. A reasonably decent 5th wheel slider hitch is 200-300 pounds.

That puts your remaining payload down in the 2,500# range; most 14k-16k 5er toy haulers pin weight is that or more.

Another important factor is 5th wheel factory weights listed are typically dry. For example my 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel has a pin listed pin weight of 1475. Once you load up propane, batteries, water etc , you 5th wheel hitch payload weight was 2400 lbs. no way could a half ton handle that. I don’t have kids either.

Another important factor is 5th wheel factory weights listed are typically dry. For example my 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel has a pin listed pin weight of 1475. Once you load up propane, batteries, water etc , you 5th wheel hitch payload weight was 2400 lbs. no way could a half ton handle that. I don’t have kids either.
Tell don’t tell this guy that.
11FE6981-29EE-4FA8-AE51-651AB530FFBB.jpeg

Generally speaking, when I tow I adhere to three rules:

1. No matter what, it is never about if you CAN tow something, it is always about whether or not you SHOULD tow something.
2. You can always get what you are hooking up moving, but can you get it stopped safely?
3. In the end, the law of gross tonnage always wins!

Back