Hunting!

Looks like I am the odd duck here shooting a 300WSM. Used to deer hunt a lot but had to switch to elk hunting since my wife won’t eat deer. Goin after a cow or spike this year for some good eats.

Hunting in MT has been getting more and more crowded so not sure what is going to happen this year with the virus stuff. May get lucky and see reduced pressure, but that is wishful thinking due to all the outdoor over crowding we saw this summer.
No I'm right there with you. I'm to old to track down what I harvest anymore.

No I'm right there with you. I'm to old to track down what I harvest anymore.
The magnums seem to do a really good job of stopping a elk and deer. I have a fair number of clean 1 shot harvests with it. Looking forward to this season with the split bench seat. It has bee quite a few years I have had a nice spot for the gun to sit.

Yea 15,000.00 is cheap these days. We have one here and up north. My daught is on the MSU rodeo team. This her last year. I wish I would have done that before I joined the PRCA but hell all the memories you can not put a price on that. Sorry to hear about your horse I hate loosing animals they become our family not just a tool.

Ok, well long story is my Daughter just got accepted as a junior transfer to MSU, thats why the hunt is a quick trip as we have to go find somewhere for her to live in Bozeman, any help would be great, she's an Ag Education major so would like to live with like girls, I know its a long shot, but you never know. She will be starting Fall 2021

Lot of PCRA guys here where I live, I am sure we know some of the same guys..

I got to experience my first night "hog hunt" a couple weekends ago with the West Shore Outfitters gang in Florida. Basically they give you a bolt-action .308 with a FLIR sight on it and take you out to their hunting lease where you hunt some hogs in the pitch black and dense Florida thicket and swamp. Turns out the night we hunted was one of the more difficult nights to hunt as we hunted during a heavy thunderstorm so the lighting and thunder had the animals pretty tucked away for the night but they can't resist the molasses and corn that was seeded 30 mins earlier. If not for that and the FLIR sights we wouldn't have caught anything. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you except with the occasional lightning flash without the scopes. I've not looked through a FLIR scope before outside of "Call of Duty" but it's a straight up cheat code, hogs never stood a chance once they came out to get the sweet corn.

I'll say this... finding the hogs even after a great shot is frankly the hard part. The scopes only help through clear sight lines and once the pigs move in to the brush, they're practically invisible until you step on the corpse. Only one of the hogs dropped on the spot, the smaller one. The two others moved about 50 feet in the thick brush and were hard to track down, took about an hour to find both.

It was a good time for me, I'd do it again albeit I'd prefer not to dodge lightning bolts and trudge through a muddy swamp to find our meat.

I got to experience my first night "hog hunt" a couple weekends ago with the West Shore Outfitters gang in Florida. Basically they give you a bolt-action .308 with a FLIR sight on it and take you out to their hunting lease where you hunt some hogs in the pitch black and dense Florida thicket and swamp. Turns out the night we hunted was one of the more difficult nights to hunt as we hunted during a heavy thunderstorm so the lighting and thunder had the animals pretty tucked away for the night but they can't resist the molasses and corn that was seeded 30 mins earlier. If not for that and the FLIR sights we wouldn't have caught anything. You couldn't see 5 feet in front of you except with the occasional lightning flash without the scopes. I've not looked through a FLIR scope before outside of "Call of Duty" but it's a straight up cheat code, hogs never stood a chance once they came out to get the sweet corn.

I'll say this... finding the hogs even after a great shot is frankly the hard part. The scopes only help through clear sight lines and once the pigs move in to the brush, they're practically invisible until you step on the corpse. Only one of the hogs dropped on the spot, the smaller one. The two others moved about 50 feet in the thick brush and were hard to track down, took about an hour to find both.

It was a good time for me, I'd do it again albeit I'd prefer not to dodge lightning bolts and trudge through a muddy swamp to find our meat.

Attachments

• IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 27
Been hunting my entire life, deer, birds, squirrels, rabbits and got into predator hunting.
Compound - Bowtech
Crossbow - 10 point
Deer rifle - Tikka 308
Muzzle loader - Triumph

Family headed to Montana in early November.
Be safe.
How do you like that Tikka 308? I love my Tikka 30-06.

How do you like that Tikka 308? I love my Tikka 30-06.

Really like the Tikka, nice bolt and lightweight.
Kicks a little in summer with short sleeves and shooting Hornady high performance.

Really like the Tikka, nice bolt and lightweight.
Kicks a little in summer with short sleeves and shooting Hornady high performance.
I second this if someone asks me for tips on purchasing a factory hunting rifle I always tell them Tikka! Most consistent out of the box off the store shelf rifles you can get, but never cheap out on rings and optic it’s the most important part.

I’d rather a shitty rifle with high quality rings because I’ll know the rifles limits. If you have junk rings or an optic with poor tracking you’ll never get it to shoot reliably.

Hit me up when you’re in the area. Maybe we can meet quick to grab a picture of our rides together for the forum. Either way good luck!

Sounds good, maybe we can meet up at the North Country Brewing Co. How far is that from you?

That sounds like a great plan. I’m about 20 or so minutes away from there. Nice big parking lot across (ish) the street by the fire station. DM me before your trip and I’ll give you my cell number.

Looks like I am the odd duck here shooting a 300WSM. Used to deer hunt a lot but had to switch to elk hunting since my wife won’t eat deer. Goin after a cow or spike this year for some good eats.

Hunting in MT has been getting more and more crowded so not sure what is going to happen this year with the virus stuff. May get lucky and see reduced pressure, but that is wishful thinking due to all the outdoor over crowding we saw this summer.
I’m shooting a 300 Win Mag out of a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon and am damn near sub MOA at 300 yards with 180 grain Barnes Vor-Tx. Not the most expensive gun out there by a mile but it’s a freaking tack driver!

Ya'll bunch of rednecks. Lol
Been having a blast shooting fox and coyote with a savage 17 hornet.
Coyotes are the smartest animals I've ever hunted, foxes come running.

Filled two moose tags last year with my 2017 6.2 F-250 Fx4; awesome truck for it. I’m after birds, rabbit, and coyote this year but I’ll have another 2 tags next year, it’s gonna be great with this new pickup. I find the 7.3 to be very quiet which is good for hunting. I also know how lucky I am to be in such a comfortable, beautiful interior when I’m 50k in a sketchy woods road. Tremors are awesome trucks and anyone who gets to go out and jump in one to go hunting on a cool fall morning is blessed in my opinion. Have a great day boys. I’ll snap some pics in the woods

No large game here but we will slay a few deer for the freezer. This year my wifey is going to pull the trigger and I will make her do the gut work too. Should be an adventure. I plan to have her use my vintage sniper rifle for the kill. bolt action 30:06 1942 Springfield. Its butter and the old action is smooooooooth. Our kill zone is 150-300 yards so should be pretty easy for her.

Just got my F250 6.7L Tremor TODAY after having it shipped down to Orlando from a dealership in South Carolina. (Anyone want to buy a 2015 Chevy 1500 w/ 6" lift w/ 92k miles?) Lined up appointments for ceramic and bakflip cover. Ordered some BuiltRight/Rotopax stuff.

After reading multiple threads, still trying to figure out if I can take to my local Ford dealer and possible to install integrated winch on the 6.7L w/ 240 amp alternator... I saw a lot of back and forth, but I don't think i saw any 6.7L with winch installed after purchase. Would like the integrated winch, but if not possible, then I will probably opt for the Ranch Hand Sport Front Bumper. Maybe a stupid question, but can you get the integrated if you only have the 240 amp alternator on 6.7L?

Headed to hunting lease in Macon, GA next weekend and big trip to my Uncle's place in Ohio for the rut in November! Looking forward to towing trailers/campers without any strain like i had on my 1500!

Attachments

• WDM Tremor 10.6.20.jpg
    WDM Tremor 10.6.20.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 27
  • WDM Tremor 10.6.20 rear.jpg
    WDM Tremor 10.6.20 rear.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 28
I bought the Tremor exclusively for elk camp. I thought I would be good. But, I think I need a bigger truck, lol. I'm going up fat and happy this year but still a little tight on space. I run a very comfortable camp (wall tent and wood stove, etc.) at 10k feet back off some gnarly roads. I'm heading up in the morning. My Tremor has been up there 3 times already this season. It's nice that I don't need to pick a line as well as I did in my old truck. The clearance and capabilities is wonderful.

Back