HUD Retrofit for 22 and earlier?

xler8r

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
I can't be the only one thinking this - how can we come up with a way to do a HUD retrofit to '22's and earlier? My thought here is...maybe ONLY the '22's could do it due to them getting the SYNC 4 which the '23's also have. Granted, the instrument cluster is different...but my guess is its just reading certain stats, throwing them up on the screen, etc.

Maybe the only thing that is a kicker would be the new instrument cluster's graphics processor also handles the HUD and carries all the magic to "make it happen"...in which case - thoughts on replacing the dash and instrument cluster? Sounds expensive but wondering if it seems feasible...

#leavenotremorsbehind!

I think it would be easier to put the whole dash, electronics, and interior pieces in in this case than trying to make it look OEM with the '22 dash and half baked Sync 4 system that was used for '22. '23+ has the new full Sync 4 architecture like the '21+ F150 IIRC.

My life will be complete when I see someone put a '22 complete front end/clip on a '23+ truck. That would be badass.

Last edited:
Sorry not wanting to sound snarky, but what's the big attraction to HUD display? Nothing bothers me more than glare in the windshield, especially at night. And nothing in the HUD do I need so much as to have it in my face the whole time I'm driving. Just not getting the want/need. But I'm different than most folks. ;)

Sync 4 isn't just the Hud and infotainment. It's all the bcm's and pcm's. You can buy aftermarket HUD's, but retrofitting an oem one wouldn't be feasible.

@Five0three , yep, i've seen the aftermarket one for the F150 that was posted previously, its not bad. @RedZilla i realize the HUD is pretty polarizing, some people only end up using that when they find the right setting and others rather have it off. I'd be more of the persuasion of merely wanting that useful data on the windscreen.

@Five0three , yep, i've seen the aftermarket one for the F150 that was posted previously, its not bad. @RedZilla i realize the HUD is pretty polarizing, some people only end up using that when they find the right setting and others rather have it off. I'd be more of the persuasion of merely wanting that useful data on the windscreen.
I get it and I'm glad if it's included on the truck and can be adjusted or turned off. I'm sure there's times I'd go "oh this is cool". But I would probably never add one. And I agree, the after market one available wouldn't even be a consideration for me at least.

HUD is a game changer for me -not having to look down for essential information while driving.

I love the HUD on my wife's Volvo. Volvo has the sign recognition cameras so HUD shows your speed and the sign. Which I find works better than the GPS based signs that Ford uses. If I could get those two things on a HUD on my '22 I'd be real happy.

All the aftermarket HUDs look chunky on the dash and give you lots of extra stuff you don't want (transmission gear, temps, etc).

Sorry not wanting to sound snarky, but what's the big attraction to HUD display? Nothing bothers me more than glare in the windshield, especially at night. And nothing in the HUD do I need so much as to have it in my face the whole time I'm driving. Just not getting the want/need. But I'm different than most folks. ;)

Ill tell you what exactly. You don’t appreciate until you have it and quickly get used to it. Then you do not want another truck without it. I used all the same excuses you do to justify not needing it but once i have it all that glare talk and i need none of its displayed info quickly dissipates. It’s just awesome.

love the HUD on my wife's Volvo. Volvo has the sign recognition cameras so HUD shows your speed and the sign. Which I find works better than the GPS based signs that Ford uses

I believe you are somewhat misinformed about Ford’s Superduty HUD and that’s OK. Mine shows the same speed and sign.
IMG_9384.jpeg

I believe you are somewhat misinformed about Ford’s Superduty HUD and that’s OK. Mine shows the same speed and sign.View attachment 136136
Not sure on the '23 Fords, but the 22 ford uses their GPS maps to pull the speed off of (like Waze and GMaps display). So unless you have the subscription for maps (AND Ford updates) it's possible for signs to be wrong. Volvo uses a camera to actually read the signs. So when we are in a temp construction zone - Volvo HUD shows the temp speed signs. Something a GPS based system cannot do.

Not sure on the '23 Fords, but the 22 ford uses their GPS maps to pull the speed off of (like Waze and GMaps display). So unless you have the subscription for maps (AND Ford updates) it's possible for signs to be wrong. Volvo uses a camera to actually read the signs. So when we are in a temp construction zone - Volvo HUD shows the temp speed signs. Something a GPS based system cannot do.

I don’t know exactly where Ford pulls the speed from (since i can’t find the source to verify this info) but i can say from experience that so far it has been accurate for me, even in the example you mentioned where construction zones showed a reduced limit.

I would love a hud, but it would have to be seamless. Not mounting a kludge box on the dash.

I don’t know exactly where Ford pulls the speed from (since i can’t find the source to verify this info) but i can say from experience that so far it has been accurate for me, even in the example you mentioned where construction zones showed a reduced limit.

Agreed, I've noticed it changes at the exact moment you pass a speed limit sign as well. Put me in the former camp of not needing it and finding it a bit unnecessary, but that was until I bought a truck that had it on it. Now I can't see myself not having it, I find it extremely useful and convenient.

Agreed, I've noticed it changes at the exact moment you pass a speed limit sign as well. Put me in the former camp of not needing it and finding it a bit unnecessary, but that was until I bought a truck that had it on it. Now I can't see myself not having it, I find it extremely useful and convenient.

VERY good point. I notice the same exact thing about it changing with the signs. So perhaps it does read it from them and not maps/gps.

Being an aviation guy, HUD's are just the coolest thing since sliced bread (in my mind). I could have waited for a '23, but couldn't get over that front end, despite the other cool factors; not to mention bonus depreciation's full rate ended in '22 and that was a big factor as well.

Being an aviation guy, HUD's are just the coolest thing since sliced bread (in my mind). I could have waited for a '23, but couldn't get over that front end, despite the other cool factors; not to mention bonus depreciation's full rate ended in '22 and that was a big factor as well.

Fellow pilot here as well and I agree, jet fighter jealousy haha. The first time I recall seeing a HUD in a car was back in the late 90's in a Corvette.

The front end is subjective but it grows on you and now I find myself looking at the '20-22 trucks and no longer liking it as much. I think the Sport grille is the worst on the '23+, the BAP version of the Platinum grille, like I have on mine IMHO is the best looking grille for the '23+ trucks. Different strokes for different folks.

VERY good point. I notice the same exact thing about it changing with the signs. So perhaps it does read it from them and not maps/gps.
I've seen a few times where it's incorrect while passing signs so I think it is gps based even tho it changes fairly close to the signs.

Back