Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
Navy 68
Current Ride
22 Stone Grey Tremor, Lariat, Ultimate
Current Ride #2
Ranger 620VS, ATAK 120
Check your hubcaps for looseness if you've had any work done on your tires, brakes, etc.

I found a loose hubcap when I went to install a new set of new Gorilla nuts on my 22 Tremor and after removal, found 5 clips were missing. The only time I had this in a shop other than oil change was when I got new tires recently. Apparently, the tire shop tried to remove the hubcap and had a difficult time. The other three hubcaps all had the clips still present, though three clips came off when I removed the hubcaps to change the lug nuts. I could also see distortion on some of the ones still intact, perhaps "replaced" after they came off.

This is just to make you aware that the hubcaps are prone to the clips coming off if/when you remove them. Other factors include, the nuts cannot be removed first without destroying the plastic hubcap due to the lug ring being larger than the plastic hole. (See pictures) The clips seem to hang up on the edge of the lug nuts and pull free from the plastic molding. (See picture)

After purchasing a new hubcap to replace the loose and broken hubcap (which I thought was the only issue) I decided to leave them off. The Gorilla Black Lugnuts purchased from Appolo Optics look great without the hubcaps in place anyhow. Now I just need to paint the front locking hub black.

20240615_142730ab.jpg
20240615_143015ab.jpg

Attachments

• 20240612_170003ab.jpg
    20240612_170003ab.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240612_170013ab.jpg
    20240612_170013ab.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240612_170025ab.jpg
    20240612_170025ab.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 12
I've seen photos of the hubs without the center caps but was never sure how much effort folks put into making the hubs look nice with paint, etc. Assuming your hubs are still in their "natural" state other than the new nuts, would you be so kind as to post a few photos of how they look right now?

Any advice from anyone seeing this about surface prep, priming, what rattle can paint (black, gloss or matte?) might look nice with the stock '23/24 Tremor wheels etc. would be welcome as well.

What he said, please!

I also removed the hub caps off my stock rims. I think it looks better without them.

Side note: Figured this out myself awhile back. I just started pulling the caps off myself before heading to the tire shop.

I'm in the camp of no caps if it pleases the owner. Still need to get the axle hubs painted to clean up the look.

It's really not that hard or time consuming to paint the rear hubs. I used a flat piece of cardboard and made a template with the lugs sliced out "X" where each lug goes. 2 inch masking tape around the rest of the lug. With minimal prep work- wire brush the rust and some 220g sand paper to scuff the existing paint it's a straight forward task that didn't take much time. I don't remember exactly what paint I used but it was a matte black and still looks great. It matches the OEM wheels better now than it did when the paint was fresh.

I want to do this to that silver ring on the front hub the next time I'm tinkering in the shop.
20240127_133135.jpg

Check your hubcaps for looseness if you've had any work done on your tires, brakes, etc.

I found a loose hubcap when I went to install a new set of new Gorilla nuts on my 22 Tremor and after removal, found 5 clips were missing. The only time I had this in a shop other than oil change was when I got new tires recently. Apparently, the tire shop tried to remove the hubcap and had a difficult time. The other three hubcaps all had the clips still present, though three clips came off when I removed the hubcaps to change the lug nuts. I could also see distortion on some of the ones still intact, perhaps "replaced" after they came off.

This is just to make you aware that the hubcaps are prone to the clips coming off if/when you remove them. Other factors include, the nuts cannot be removed first without destroying the plastic hubcap due to the lug ring being larger than the plastic hole. (See pictures) The clips seem to hang up on the edge of the lug nuts and pull free from the plastic molding. (See picture)

After purchasing a new hubcap to replace the loose and broken hubcap (which I thought was the only issue) I decided to leave them off. The Gorilla Black Lugnuts purchased from Appolo Optics look great without the hubcaps in place anyhow. Now I just need to paint the front locking hub black.

View attachment 160124View attachment 160125
I guess I "destroyed" my hubcaps. I just loosened a few of the lugs and it pulled the cap off without having to pry it. Went back on fine and didn't lose any clips 🤷

I guess I "destroyed" my hubcaps. I just loosened a few of the lugs and it pulled the cap off without having to pry it. Went back on fine and didn't lose any clips 🤷
The "destroyed" hub on mine had melted plastic (friction burn) around some of the holes where they attempted removing the lugs before prying the cap off. There was also marring on the inside of the lug nut channel of the hub. I guess if you don't look closely, you wouldn't notice but according to the instructions, removing the cap first is the correct way of removal.

I've seen photos of the hubs without the center caps but was never sure how much effort folks put into making the hubs look nice with paint, etc. Assuming your hubs are still in their "natural" state other than the new nuts, would you be so kind as to post a few photos of how they look right now?

Any advice from anyone seeing this about surface prep, priming, what rattle can paint (black, gloss or matte?) might look nice with the stock '23/24 Tremor wheels etc. would be welcome as well.
These are "as of now" photos, no touch up with paint yet. I will paint the hubs later on and paint the ring as well. Once they get dirty again, it will all look the same. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20240616_080512a.jpg
    20240616_080512a.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240616_080442a.jpg
    20240616_080442a.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240616_080420a.jpg
    20240616_080420a.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 41
Thank you @Motoxxx43 and @Canyon Trekker for the helpful information. I might be able to actually do this as I like the look.
If I proceed slowly and carefully it could even be less risky than letting me handle Krazy Glue or a stapler!

Also chiming in as someone who ditched the hub caps and hasn’t looked back!

I haven’t painted the hubs, though. I have no faith the paint will last having the wheels drug across it every rotation and personal servicing (so twice every 5000 miles).

Thank you @Motoxxx43 and @Canyon Trekker for the helpful information. I might be able to actually do this as I like the look.
If I proceed slowly and carefully it could even be less risky than letting me handle Krazy Glue or a stapler!
Today I got around to painting the front hub ring!
A T27 bit, 220 sand paper, spray paint, masking tape and some rubbing alcohol to wipe them down before paint. Probablya good idea to put a tiny dab of blue loctite on the three screws on assembly, they don't take much force. I don't think I had an hour into the actual "work". Super easy. If that paint doesn't hold up I'm not out anything other than time. I'd like to get the Warns but I'll wait till these need replaced.
I have around 11,000 on my 2022. The hubs looked new inside even with some water crossings and a few 4x4 drives in snow. Good to know.

Attachments

• 20240619_124908.jpg
    20240619_124908.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240619_132308.jpg
    20240619_132308.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240619_150610.jpg
    20240619_150610.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 24
Today I got around to painting the front hub ring!
A T27 bit, 220 sand paper, spray paint, masking tape and some rubbing alcohol to wipe them down before paint. Probablya good idea to put a tiny dab of blue loctite on the three screws on assembly, they don't take much force. I don't think I had an hour into the actual "work". Super easy. If that paint doesn't hold up I'm not out anything other than time. I'd like to get the Warns but I'll wait till these need replaced.
I have around 11,000 on my 2022. The hubs looked new inside even with some water crossings and a few 4x4 drives in snow. Good to know.
I feel like some people would say you need the black lug nuts, but not me. The chrome lugs give it just enough contrast. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Back