How to remove road paint

t_jolt

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Hey all,
Well just got back from vacation and come home to sick animal that required vet attention (no thanks go to the pet sitter here) On the way to my future $500 dollar bill, they repainted the roads and didnt have any signs out. The Entire left side of my truck is yellow... I took it right away to a car wash and used a pressure washer to get off everything I could, but there is still residue and ghosting all over my black paint.

Anyone have any ideas to clean this up without spending another arm and leg?

Thanks

Not sure how much you got on your truck but I had something similar happen to me when I was on a motorcycle trip. A friend of mine was in the paint & body business and he told me to try a clay bar. You can buy them with a spray as a kit. It worked. Removed all the paint spots from the highway crew line sprayer.

The clay bar is a good idea. Maybe Bug and tar remover. May have to wax or seal afterwards...?

Use a car wash that removes waxes and other sealants. I like Griot surface prep. Follow that with a clay bar. again, i use griot speed shine with the clay bar. then re-wax to add back the protection lost from step 1

I would do exactly as white rhyno said.

Hey all,
Well just got back from vacation and come home to sick animal that required vet attention (no thanks go to the pet sitter here) On the way to my future $500 dollar bill, they repainted the roads and didnt have any signs out. The Entire left side of my truck is yellow... I took it right away to a car wash and used a pressure washer to get off everything I could, but there is still residue and ghosting all over my black paint.

Anyone have any ideas to clean this up without spending another arm and leg?

Thanks
i had that happen to a couple vehicles about 6 weeks ago - WD40 worked ok for getting road paint off painted surfaces but I could not find anything to take it off plastic parts like mud flaps. My detailer said there are products for road paint but again they do not do much for plastic parts

Oh, that sucks. I feel for you, on both accounts (your pet, and the paint getting on your truck).

For the truck, I've heard WD-40 or Vaseline may work, but have not had to ever try either (thankfully). Since @shoholasmokin has also said WD-40, I'd go that way. But I'd be nervous about softening the factory paint. Maybe try a spot inside the rear wheel well first, just to make sure it doesn't harm the paint?

The paint they use for stripes or arrows or crosswalks or whatever usually has glass/sand for the reflective/traction properties. I'd be hesitant to scrub or clay bar until as much was gone as possible. That'd be way more abrasive on the clear coat than clay.

A little late to the party, but acetone will get the road paint off with a minimum of scrubbing. Apply some to a sponge and rub the spot gently. Just be careful not to leave it on the paint for long, and wash the truck thoroughly after.

I second the WD40. Happened to my wife’s Subaru some years back...tried a number of things. None were effective. WD40 did the trick and did it quick. We still have the Subaru and never noticed any long term effects to the finish.

Back