How to open the electric tailgate with a dead batttery?

Rock Taxi

Tremoraholic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F350 6.7l King Ranch Tremor
Current Ride #2
2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ Unlimited
I have a BakFlip bed cover on my electrically operated tailgate. It occurred to me this morning that if I have my jumper cables or tools stored in the bed and my battery is dead, I cannot get to them to jump the truck or get the tools to swap the batteries. This is due to the BakFlip only being able to be opened when the tailgate is down.

I might have found a downside to the BakFlip here unless someone knows an alternative way to get into the bed. I am sure I could make a little slim jim hook to slide between the tailgate and BakFlip to grab the release cable, but wondered if there was a more elegant solution.

Ed

Only thing I can think of is to store your cables under the rear seat or behind the rear passenger seat back. That is a great question though and never thought about that for my current rig which has the electric tailgate release.

That is why I have an externally accessible toolbox....no solution is a 100 percent solution....!

Mine is in a garage or unlocked in the woods ( middle of nowhere ) so unless the battery goes dead at the Mall I am good.

I put the jumper cables behind the seat, but I grabbed some stainless TIG rod and put a couple of layers of shrink tube over one end. I can slip this over the end of the BakFlip when I am out in the woods to have an easy way to pop open the cover if I lose battery power.

20201024_181742.jpg
20201024_181732.jpg

Ed, I must say, YOU ARE A FLIPPING GENIUS!!!!!
?

I put the jumper cables behind the seat, but I grabbed some stainless TIG rod and put a couple of layers of shrink tube over one end. I can slip this over the end of the BakFlip when I am out in the woods to have an easy way to pop open the cover if I lose battery power.

View attachment 7650View attachment 7651
Nice engineering ED

way to go!

Latest Discussions

Back