How to get better gas mileage from the 7.3?

Mountainman3

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2016 F-150
Other than an occasional K&N filter change I’ve always left my trucks stock. I’ve also only had F150’s.
Any ideas on how to improve gas mileage on the 7.3? I know it’s a super duty and you don’t buy them for the gas efficiency. I’m just looking for a few suggestions that may allow me to squeeze out a couple more MPG’s (other than driving in ECO below 65mph!)

Other than an occasional K&N filter change I’ve always left my trucks stock. I’ve also only had F150’s.
Any ideas on how to improve gas mileage on the 7.3? I know it’s a super duty and you don’t buy them for the gas efficiency. I’m just looking for a few suggestions that may allow me to squeeze out a couple more MPG’s (other than driving in ECO below 65mph!)

Lighter wheels, tires, skinnier tires, drive in a way conducive to using less gasoline. Other than this tuning, I believe 5 star tuning had a tune that should give some mileage, or at least power back. The problem with this is it'll probably void the warranty. Another option that may help is different fuel, 87 octane without ethanol, although this costs more per gallon. Somewhat difficult to increase the mileage in these things as like you said they're already huge/heavy.

Trade it for a 6.7? IDK.

Lighter wheels, tires, skinnier tires, drive in a way conducive to using less gasoline. Other than this tuning, I believe 5 star tuning had a tune that should give some mileage, or at least power back. The problem with this is it'll probably void the warranty. Another option that may help is different fuel, 87 octane without ethanol, although this costs more per gallon. Somewhat difficult to increase the mileage in these things as like you said they're already huge/heavy.
Thank you! About what I thought. I don’t want to void the warranty.

This was my post on another forums a couple of weeks ago...

Ok so I just did a mpg test on the new Tremor with 7.3L engine. Keep in mind these are on aggressive A/T tires. Mud terrains would yield worse results and road tires better. We drove two 50 mile stretches in Florida so no real hills and with minimal wind. First 50 miles cruise was set at 70mph. Second set of 50 miles was at 76mph. We stopped and filled up between and after each segment to get an accurate reading. This is an F350.

At 70mph we got 14.6mpg
At 76mph we got 13.5mpg

Hope this helps!

C

Ok so I just did a mpg test on the new Tremor with 7.3L engine. Keep in mind these are on aggressive A/T tires. Mud terrains would yield worse results and road tires better. We drove two 50 mile stretches in Florida so no real hills and with minimal wind. First 50 miles cruise was set at 70mph. Second set of 50 miles was at 76mph. We stopped and filled up between and after each segment to get an accurate reading. This is an F350.

At 70mph we got 14.6mpg
At 76mph we got 13.5mpg

Hope this helps!

C
Thank you for the respectful response. I appreciate it.

At 70mph we got 14.6mpg
At 76mph we got 13.5mpg

Hope this helps!

C
That mpg would only get stronger after 4 hours of highway driving. 15+ mpg is possible over several hours of highway driving at or near sea level. I think ftl got 15.5 mpg or so in the Rockies with 7.3 and 3.55 gears.

Another test was the 4.30 non tremor 7.3. 14.6mpg, 800 mile loop in the Rockies

I have to wonder what a non-Tremor air dam under the bumper would do?

Seems like probably cheap, and I have to think it would make a difference?

Ed

Ed
I can’t stand those things. You buy a 4x4 truck then run plastic to the ground. Might as well buy an accord.
Just one guys opinion.

Take some techniques from semi haulers;
  • Its more efficient to gain speed on a downgrade and use that energy to go uphill.
  • Think engine load, not road speed. Letting engine load dictate road speed means you'll slow on upgrades.
  • Braking doesn't in itself burn gas, but if you lose speed unnecessarily that you have to make up, that burns gas. Brake when you need to, coast when you can. Conserve momentum.
  • In traffic, try to pace so that you can keep moving. Those semis are crawling at a walking pace in traffic while everyone else is stop-go-stop-go because its less wear and tear on the truck, more efficient, and just easier for the operator.
  • Your mpg will typically tank past 65-70mph. Very generally; air resistance is exponential to speed. If you can take a local road at 50 instead of an interstate at 70, you'll save gas.
  • Look far ahead - you can't use these techniques without doing so.
  • Just don't be a damn hypermiler left-laning douchebag ;)

Or if you prefer something more constructive;

Its a damn Super Duty you didn't buy it for the mileage.
-Captain Obtuse
2yvj7a.jpg

Regardless of what mileage you get out of a vehicle, wanting to get a bit more should be understandable.

Take some techniques from semi haulers;
  • Its more efficient to gain speed on a downgrade and use that energy to go uphill.
  • Think engine load, not road speed. Letting engine load dictate road speed means you'll slow on upgrades.
  • Braking doesn't in itself burn gas, but if you lose speed unnecessarily that you have to make up, that burns gas. Brake when you need to, coast when you can. Conserve momentum.
  • In traffic, try to pace so that you can keep moving. Those semis are crawling at a walking pace in traffic while everyone else is stop-go-stop-go because its less wear and tear on the truck, more efficient, and just easier for the operator.
  • Your mpg will typically tank past 65-70mph. Very generally; air resistance is exponential to speed. If you can take a local road at 50 instead of an interstate at 70, you'll save gas.
  • Look far ahead - you can't use these techniques without doing so.
  • Just don't be a damn hypermiler left-laning douchebag ;)
Great info! Thanks for taking the time to type this up!

Ed

It would lower your clearance. Tremor has a raised air dam for that very reason.

Some good information in this thread. Been doing a lot of around town stop and go driving....currently about 9 on this tank, just under half a tank currently. Be better off driving my 4 cylinder commuter. Thanks for the information though everyone.

Back