How to find trails for a Super Duty Tremor? NM & CO

Sendit6.5

Tremor Fanatic
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2007 Ford F-350 King Ranch FX4
Just wondering if there’s a service like OnX Maps that is accurate and trustworthy for finding trails in NM and CO; and whether they’ll tell you if the trail/route is suitable for something like a SD Tremor?

Planning a trip to Ruidoso, NM and the Santa Fe/Taos areas with the fam. I’d love to spend a day or two exploring but I don’t want to get into something too hairy since the truck is currently a stock Tremor.

Look at the off road books you know that old paper stuff lol

Lots in Colorado no idea New Mexico but it all depends on how much time you have

Gaia is the program I use lots of overlapping maps you can find lots above Taos & say hi to Marshall Sam McCloud & the all wooden staircase is beautiful

Great book. Stock Tremor can do anything rated Easy or Moderate.

Experienced driver can venture carefully from there. Based on personal experience, certainly not an expert.

Supposedly a guy in a Suburban has done Black Bear and I have seen the video of a guy in a full size Dodge banging his way up the wall at Poughkeepsie Gulch so get out there and have fun.

The width of these trucks is the biggest challenge, but it’s only sheet metal and paint…

You COULD likely navigate Black Bear in a Super Duty but why would you? It would not be fun, for me at least. Besides the width, the longer wheel base makes the switchbacks a lot of work. You’d need an experienced driver and a trusted spotter. These more difficult trails are better suited for Toyota or Jeep platforms and the most fun in a side by side. My opinion.

Imogene Pass, Ophir pass, etc are fun ones in a Tremor.

You COULD likely navigate Black Bear in a Super Duty but why would you? It would not be fun, for me at least. Besides the width, the longer wheel base makes the switchbacks a lot of work. You’d need an experienced driver and a trusted spotter. These more difficult trails are better suited for Toyota or Jeep platforms and the most fun in a side by side. My opinion.

I did Imogene yesterday after just wandering around by Camp Bird for a little while, it’s the first time I’ve had my Tremor near home and I just wanted to give it a shakedown and try out the trail control and stuff. it was perfect for the truck IMO, easy enough without a spotter and no worries of chewing up the paint.

Attachments

• 88F1BB95-6114-4939-94E7-2DFE61CD1899.jpeg
    88F1BB95-6114-4939-94E7-2DFE61CD1899.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 164
I did Imogene yesterday after just wandering around by Camp Bird for a little while, it’s the first time I’ve had my Tremor near home and I just wanted to give it a shakedown and try out the trail control and stuff. it was perfect for the truck IMO, easy enough without a spotter and no worries of chewing up the paint.
GREAT PIC...I will be back up that way in a month or so...let's run a couple of trails....and have you ventured up to Moab via Rimrocker yet? starts in Montrose!!!!

Reactions: Gus

I completely agree. Hence, my tongue-in-cheek "sheet metal and paint".

I completely agree. Hence, my tongue-in-cheek "sheet metal and paint".
Trust me... the "hold my beer" in me WANTS to do it...looking at my truck and how much i love it saves me from myself. :)

GREAT PIC...I will be back up that way in a month or so...let's run a couple of trails....and have you ventured up to Moab via Rimrocker yet? starts in Montrose!!!!

I have not! I’ve actually never been to Moab at all, somehow. I’m gone for work more often than not, but let me know when it’s getting closer and if I can make it work, I definitely will! sounds like fun to me.

also I know it’s not my super duty but this was a 100% candid shot I captured on my way up camp bird on a January morning in 2016… I’ve been trying like hell to recapture it, so far to no avail.

Attachments

• EE5FF95D-81D7-4321-9F12-70C6FEDFFB33.jpeg
    EE5FF95D-81D7-4321-9F12-70C6FEDFFB33.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 129
What way did you go?

Been looking at trails in the area and thinking about making a trip to Ouray and Yankee Boy Basin and possibly the Alpine Loop and depending on how things go trying Imogene

also I know it’s not my super duty but this was a 100% candid shot I captured on my way up camp bird on a January morning in 2016… I’ve been trying like hell to recapture it, so far to no avail.

Mountain shelf “road” covered in snow stainless steel balls you have

Been reading about Rimrocker but not sure it’s wide enough for a Tremor or if it can be done in a day

Otherwise it looks like a superb fun trail

What way did you go?

Been looking at trails in the area and thinking about making a trip to Ouray and Yankee Boy Basin and possibly the Alpine Loop and depending on how things go trying Imogene

I started from the Ouray side, the videos of it that I’d watched made it look like coming from Telluride you’d be going down the shelf that seemed to be the most difficult part and I wanted to try climbing up it. after actually doing it, I’m fairly sure they were tilting the cameras to make it look steeper than it was because it really wasn’t much. Yankee Boy Basin has awesome views, I took my mom up that way one year on her birthday which is June 16th, and we’d had a good snowfall and a late winter so the waterfalls were flowing like crazy but there was lots of standing water on the trail. it looked pretty dry yesterday.

Mountain shelf “road” covered in snow stainless steel balls you have

Haha, all in the name of scaring my ex! I grew up in Wisconsin and spent enough time on frozen lakes that death by plummeting 500+ feet seems like a cake walk in comparison to drowning in 30 degree water.

I started from the Ouray side, the videos of it that I’d watched made it look like coming from Telluride you’d be going down the shelf that seemed to be the most difficult part and I wanted to try climbing up it. after actually doing it, I’m fairly sure they were tilting the cameras to make it look steeper than it was because it really wasn’t much. Yankee Boy Basin has awesome views, I took my mom up that way one year on her birthday which is June 16th, and we’d had a good snowfall and a late winter so the waterfalls were flowing like crazy but there was lots of standing water on the trail. it looked pretty dry yesterday.

Very cool

For a novice I was thinking about starting in telluride after a bathroom stop lol

Not sure if we are staying in Montrose or Ouray I favor Ouray and wife says Montrose

Back