How in the F#%* are y’all getting such good MPG?

Need to account for the following:
1) Diesel
2) 7.3l gas
3) Gears - 3.73 or 4.30. 4.30 gears will get worse mileage than 3.73 but 4.30 gears better for towing.

1) Diesel
2) 7.3l gas
3) Gears - 3.73 or 4.30. 4.30 gears will get worse mileage than 3.73 but 4.30 gears better for towing.
This thread is on the tremor forum in the 7.3l engine section, so they should all be 7.3 and 4.30 here. Don't mean to sound snarky - I forget to look at the directory on the top of the posts all the time. The main page doesn't make it obvious when looking at new posts, unless you look for it under the post name.

Here's something for the PS guys:

I have about 7500 miles on mine and I have never reset Trip 2 since I rolled off the lot new. It is showing 10.5 MPG and about 50% of those miles are towing a 32ft travel trailer which is around 10k lbs of trailer/cargo. 30% of it is city stop and go driving and 20% highway, almost always hauling something in the bed, very rarely totally empty.

The truck should just report engine revolutions per (mile, trip, minute, day, month, pedal pressure, weather condition, whatever unit your curious about.) This all just comes down to how much gas is she squirting in the cylinders. It's strange the “mileage” has become some mystical number divorced from a tangible reality.

My current F150 dashboard is telling me 14.6 mpg and I see people say they get over 20 with similar trucks, I have never taken the time to manually figure it out cause I need gas so it really doesn’t matter.

FWIW there's a scaling factor you can change - no Forscan needed! - to correct the MPG the computer displays. The fact there's a software correction factor in the first place is interesting. I'm pretty sure I came across this video elsewhere on the forum, but reposting here:

Ouch! in my 17 on 37x12.5 I'm getting 17.3 average.
He may have been heavy footed.
9CA4D224-0A88-4673-9850-50898B30865A.jpeg

Different strokes for different folks but I've always lived by the "drive it like you're gonna drive from day one". Break-in periods used to be a thing but engines are manufactured to such high tolerances now there's no need to break in components, except maybe the rings but there's evidence to suggest a "heavy foot" helps seal those better.

I'll start with I have a 6.7; I know this is the 7.3 forum.

I find I have much better "instant" fuel economy if I'm using the cruise control. No matter how careful I am with my foot, I cant get the instant MPG that the cruise can achieve. I also calculated my last tank and the trip MPG was exactly the same as my calculated - 16.8; this included a regen and some idle time.

I'm at 1,600 miles.

1) Diesel
2) 7.3l gas
3) Gears - 3.73 or 4.30. 4.30 gears will get worse mileage than 3.73 but 4.30 gears better for towing. AND OFF ROAD.
FiFY

My mother in law once told me that my vehicles get bad mileage because I’m using my heated steering wheel. Haha. True story. I wish I was kidding and I wish she wasn’t 100% serious when she said it.
I don't doubt that at all. I too have a whacked mother in-law ..!! The last time we visited, she saw me walking around her yard picking up our dogs poop. I was using dog poop bags. She proceeded to explain to me how I should pick up dog shit. :unsure: How I should seal it up, and how I should dispose of it .. As stupid as the conversation was, she's never owned a dog. ? ? .. I kid you not.

Back