How are you wiring and where are you putting your CB radios and antennas?

Interested as well (but for Ham). I see a lot of radios mounted vertically in the center console. I like that idea. Interested to know how folks route power, ground, and antenna from there.

I'm also interested in some ideas. I was thinking of putting my radio on the back of the driver side knee bolster like I did with the Excursion, then the controller mounted on the top of the windshield above the AS-1 line. If there's no room in the knee bolster, I'll probably slap it on the side pocket on the center console.

Any ideas on the antenna? I've seen some folks do hood mounted ones, but I'm open to suggestions.

whips.jpg

There are only 2 holes in the floor pan.......if your sitting up front, they are under the driver's left little toe if his foot is flat on the floor and passenger's right. There is an 1/1/4" grommet in each hole: Perfect for running an antenna cable in to the cab and come out under the front seats....then you can slip it straight into the bottom of the center console.....or take it up under the dash...easy PZ.
cab_Access.jpg

How are you wiring and where are you putting your CB radios and antennas? Lets see some pics of mounting location and antenna placement.
I use a remote CB mounted behind the dash. A cable runs to a panel blank with a female RJ45 connector. On the other side of the panel blank I plug the microphone in. I use double sided tape to mount the microphone mount to the dash. The mount is magnetic, which is far nicer to use than a clip. The microphone uses an OLED display and all the controls are on it.
46402DCD-A22C-46FB-8B2F-9AA754B244A8.jpeg

The aerial is mounted on a roof rack.

Last edited:
I use a remote CB mounted behind the dash. A cable runs to a panel blank with a female RJ45 connector. On the other side of the panel blank I plug the microphone in. I use double sided tape to mount the microphone mount to the dash. The mount is magnetic, which is far nicer to use than a clip. The microphone uses an OLED display and all the controls are on it. View attachment 8385

In our Jeep Club we were required to have a CB. I wanna say I had a Cobra all in one model like that. It wasn't great, but between each other in a rally, it was perfect.

In our Jeep Club we were required to have a CB. I wanna say I had a Cobra all in one model like that. It wasn't great, but between each other in a rally, it was perfect.
I have that model CB in our motorhome. Easy installation and it doesn’t take up much space.
Quite a few of our membership resorts have the guard booths equipped with CB’s to not only report any issues, but to let them know which Space number we are in. Spaces are not assigned, they are first come, first served, so instead of walking all the way back to the entry gate/booth, we just let them know via the CB.

Every now and then while driving, I’ll turn the CB on to listen in on the chatter. Unfortunately, you have to know a half dozen languages other than English if you want to understand what they are saying. Occasionally I’ll hear a trucker giving a Smoky Report to his fellow 18 wheelers.

Breaker-Breaker 1-9, Good Buddy!! 🤣🤪

I use a remote CB mounted behind the dash. A cable runs to a panel blank with a female RJ45 connector. On the other side of the panel blank I plug the microphone in. I use double sided tape to mount the microphone mount to the dash. The mount is magnetic, which is far nicer to use than a clip. The microphone uses an OLED display and all the controls are on it. View attachment 8385

What model and brand of CB is that?

I am mounting the radio console's behind the right rear seat and the face plates (head units) will be located on each side of the console adjacent to driver/passenger knees.

Reactions: ccw
What model and brand of CB is that?

GME XRS 330

Worth noting that @Pompey is in Australia. This means two things:
  1. It's likely an Australia-specific radio.
  2. Their CB frequencies are in the UHF spectrum, compared to North America where our CB frequencies are in the HF spectrum. Basically guarantees that radio is only available in Australia, and would be basically useless if you found a way to import it. :)

Import some for you and your mates and never have to worry about crowded airwaves and idiots. Government might not like it though
Worth noting that @Pompey is in Australia. This means two things:
  1. It's likely an Australia-specific radio.
  2. Their CB frequencies are in the UHF spectrum, compared to North America where our CB frequencies are in the HF spectrum. Basically guarantees that radio is only available in Australia, and would be basically useless if you found a way to import it. :)

Here is a post I did recently outlining my install.

Back