How are you terminating your winch rope?

I went with Factor 55, FlatLink, they make great stuff! https://factor55.com/product/flatlink-e-expert/

888F0BC6-0C47-456E-80C8-5E7E00EF801A.jpeg
4061E0EE-7F75-42EC-9BA8-0CA6055B1657.jpeg

Ya it’s definitely strange seeing soft rope and shackles in high load situations. Intuition says the steel must be stronger, but obviously years of use and testing around the world has shown otherwise.

How are you storing the Warn hook? Against the fairlead or hanging off a tow hook?
Against the fairlead mostly, but you'll catch it off the tow hook as well. I'm not as picky about that.

On edit, I have had my share of the bastard broken strand of wire rope go right through my gloves, the kinks, the breaks and all that goes with wire rope. I am on the synthetic rope train for sure and if that means I have to replace it due to environmental degradation, so be it. I will take the cost trade off over the safety factor every day.

Last edited:
The OEM winch comes with a black Velcro sleeve that covers the line from the hook to the spool, so there is not much worry about sun or environmental damage. You could put a small wrap of tape around the bit at the end of you we’re really worried.
image.jpg

So does my state. However, it is a secondary offense so you can’t be pull over for it. If I start getting hit, I’ll fab something that is a flip down.
The factory Ford F450 plate works perfectly.

I got mine through K something fab; there's a thread on it.

The OEM winch comes with a black Velcro sleeve that covers the line from the hook to the spool, so there is not much worry about sun or environmental damage. You could put a small wrap of tape around the bit at the end of you we’re really worried.
View attachment 23590
I didn't get that sleeve...

Been too busy to install 75% of the stuff bought for the truck but when I get around to the winch install the Factor 55 ultra hook was my pick. Picked up the rope guard for it as well to keep rope exposure to a minimum. Definitely not the thrifty way to deal with it and it may attract some unwanted attention but it is what it is.
370F52E6-3CCE-45AE-9691-BFB82D3A5E65.jpeg

Against the fairlead mostly, but you'll catch it off the tow hook as well. I'm not as picky about that.

On edit, I have had my share of the bastard broken strand of wire rope go right through my gloves, the kinks, the breaks and all that goes with wire rope. I am on the synthetic rope train for sure and if that means I have to replace it due to environmental degradation, so be it. I will take the cost trade off over the safety factor every day.

View attachment 23590
Hm. Maybe I’m over-thinking this and should just stick with the hook. Either run it flush against the fairlead or off the towhook.

@sillawydna you’re right, that’s a lot less exposed rope than I was thinking and the abrasion sleeve does cover it.

That looks great! Btw - so jealous of the no front plate. My state requires a front plate. ?
Mine does too, but there’s that thing about something that’s not anatomically possible....

MB

Yep, totally my fault. There was a lot happening around me and I switched to the wired controller because I have more control over those last few inches of rope. I was holding the flatlink very specifically and bumped the button one too many times. The pressure cleanly pinched off the end of my finger....I took the stitches out today and it looks pretty good now.

MB
Dang .. Time For A New Caution Sign ..
Do Not Operate Wearing Boxers ..
Step Away While Operating ..
..... ? ? ? ? ? .....

I optioned for the Factor 55 Ultra-hook. I like having the option of both a closed and open system. I still need to order the rope guard. I don’t do a ton of winching but when it comes time I’ll have the right setup to do it with. It’s a great look and I like the rubber padding that sits against the fairlead.
D2DDA21D-19C9-419D-8847-F9E51C106B2B.jpeg

Speaking of winching. I helped some good ol’ boys winch this hunk of junk onto another hunk of junk the other day. 12k# harbor freight winch on the trailer that’s probably seen a few thousand days of UV. Tremor helped straighten it out. ?

Yep, totally my fault. There was a lot happening around me and I switched to the wired controller because I have more control over those last few inches of rope. I was holding the flatlink very specifically and bumped the button one too many times. The pressure cleanly pinched off the end of my finger....I took the stitches out today and it looks pretty good now.

MB

Sorry to hear about your finger, a coworker showed me some pictures of his neighbors hand that had to have a few fingers amputated due to a winching accident.
I definitely prefer the control the wired remote too. The wireless has too much delay which makes it difficult to know when the line is going to pull in after hitting the button.

This looks like an interesting idea.
It is! I did some searching on it and folks in a Jeep forum brought up two concerns which make me hesitant.
  1. It’s not rated yet, and no word that it’s been strength tested yet. That will be done, but would want to see the results/numbers. This is particularly important to make sure the splits in the braid haven’t created weak points.
  2. Shackles inherently get a lot of wear and abuse, but are cheap to replace. How will that end hold up with use? Replacing the rope is a lot more expensive (almost 20x).
If those concerns turn out to not be a problem I would be all over that rope. Seems like a fantastic idea.

Last edited:
Back