Horrible screeching noises

Doilookwasted

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F-350 Lariat
Has anyone else experienced the terrible screeching in their wheels after going off road? I've looked for rocks lodged in the brake rotor and in the caliper, as well as between the rim and the brake assembly. Nothing. It's intermittent, but when it happens it's extremely loud, it'll turn heads for a block and not in a good way.

I think you need to tear apart your brakes looking for this. Will the dealer do it under warranty?

Has anyone else experienced the terrible screeching in their wheels after going off road? I've looked for rocks lodged in the brake rotor and in the caliper, as well as between the rim and the brake assembly. Nothing. It's intermittent, but when it happens it's extremely loud, it'll turn heads for a block and not in a good way.
Nope...but my brakes will do that at times...might be a rock between caliper and rotor...

I have noticed brake noise when running trail control at 1 to 3 mph. Seems torque at idle fights against brakes. Does it stop if you kick out trail control with the switch?

These trucks have a backing plate that holds the parking brake shoes and springs - basically a metal pan - likely a stone caught between plate and rotor - not caliper and rotor.

I think you need to tear apart your brakes looking for this. Will the dealer do it under warranty?
Probably. The difficult part is finding time lol. It's about time to rotate the tires anyway, so I'd best get at it. If there's a way for pebbles or debris to get in there in my mind that's a serious design flaw for an off road truck

I have noticed brake noise when running trail control at 1 to 3 mph. Seems torque at idle fights against brakes. Does it stop if you kick out trail control with the switch?
It's usually when I'm back on pavement, most of the time between 10-30 mph. I think the sound you're hearing is the ABS controlling the brakes to maintain traction

These trucks have a backing plate that holds the parking brake shoes and springs - basically a metal pan - likely a stone caught between plate and rotor - not caliper and rotor.
I didn't think of that, good call. If that's the case I think I'm going to end up under my truck picking rocks way more than I want to be.

Back