Hooking a 5th wheel to an Andersen Ultimate bed hitch

RascalHD

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2023 F350 Lariat Ultimate Tremor
First Responder
Bridgeport, CT. PD (ret. '94)
This is a 1st posting on here, hope I can find my way back. Recently bought a '23 F350 Lariat Ultimate w/ Tremor pkg & Godzilla. I plan on towing a '22 Grand Design, Reflection 36' (337RLS). Have the 6'10" bed, so added the Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch. This truck also has the 5th wheel prep package. I placed the hitch in the bed & noticed the wide flat aluminum base on both sides, cover the pucks. Camping World (I know I know) said I needed to also buy a $139 safety chain package. I didn't, I'll make my own.
I brought this hitch to a friends welding shop. I had his machine cut out 2 puck size holes, one on each side, to put the eye hooks (Curt brand kingpin & eye hooks, another $249) in for the safety chains. They drop in & turn perfectly, (had to trim side of hitch base, to turn eye loop to lock in place).
After placing hitch in place, same friend advised to go to a hitch place friend of his, 6 blocks over, just because he thought maybe, being a Tremor pkg, hitch may sit too high for the 5th hitch to sit on.
So the guy there asked why I cut the two holes out. I explained it was to access the 2 pucks for safety chains. First he says, in ALL his 35+ yrs installing Andersens, NO ONE asked for safety chain hookups for 5th wheel! He said those 4 of 5, puck holes, are for a gooseneck set up. All I needed was the center puck cap off, to drop kingpin in. Yeah, I'm still learning.
He said once home, hook it all up, get it to a level area & make sure it IS level with the truck. Otherwise, bring to him if combo sits uneven & he will have to drop spacers in above the axels, to raise the 5th wheel.
My question is has anyone experienced that problem hooking up a 5th with an F350 w/ Tremor? I believe he said that because others w/ lifted trucks prob had to go that route to correctly hitch a 5th wheel. Secondly, the safety chains I was told at Camp World, are required in 17 states, as their marketing pitch. The guy at trailer place said almost angrily lol 'can the cops see the chains & going to pull u over?? As a retired cop, yes, my luck! My further luck would be it detaches somehow & insurance says not paying anything because no safety chains used. Any solid advice?? Thanks. Hope I can find the reply page before the 30th for 1st trial camp weekend.

Added the B&W turnover kit for the gooseball. 4” offset (moving fifth wheel further from the cab) and Andersen hitch turned toward the camper (moving fifth wheel closer to the cab). I added chains as well but do feel like they may be unnecessary.

IMG_5772.jpeg
IMG_1413.jpeg

Am I understanding you correctly, that the guy said you can hitch up the fifth wheel to the center puck hole? With no actual fifth wheel hitch? I am honestly having a bit of trouble following your post and what exactly you’re asking/wanting to know

I've got my puck connected on the 5th wheel going the opposite direction as the MichiganTremor and I've never had an issue with any clearance. Been running that way for about 3 years...gotta crank it to back it down my driveway probably close to 80-85 degree angle and haven't had cab clearance issues with that setup. Mine's a Forest River Arctic Wolf.

I use the chain kit that came with the Andersen...very easy to install and use; although, I do question their effectiveness if they were ever necessary to deploy.

I run the hitch on the middle ball setting and can fit about 2 fists between the bottom of the 5th wheel and the bedrail of the truckbed.

I've got my puck connected on the 5th wheel going the opposite direction as the MichiganTremor and I've never had an issue with any clearance. Been running that way for about 3 years...gotta crank it to back it down my driveway probably close to 80-85 degree angle and haven't had cab clearance issues with that setup. Mine's a Forest River Arctic Wolf.
I had started it that way, as that is one of the main perks of the Anderson to have more cab clearance, but it seemed to sit too far back and not enough pin weight.

Am I understanding you correctly, that the guy said you can hitch up the fifth wheel to the center puck hole? With no actual fifth wheel hitch? I am honestly having a bit of trouble following your post and what exactly you’re asking/wanting to know
The center puck is for the gooseball. Anderson hitch connects to the gooseball rather than the other 4 pucks or a traditional rail system.

The center puck is for the gooseball. Anderson hitch connects to the gooseball rather than the other 4 pucks or a traditional rail system.
I get this. The original post made it sound like the shop guy told him he could just hitch his kingpin to the center hole. That was where I got confused and was going to recommend a different shop! haha

I get this. The original post made it sound like the shop guy told him he could just hitch his kingpin to the center hole. That was where I got confused and was going to recommend a different shop! haha
Thanks again to those that took the time to respond, much appreciated! Sorry for any confusion. The shop guy said all i needed to do, was drop the Andersen onto the center kingpin, with the hitchball part of the hitch, toward tailgate.

I have that Andersen clamp part that stays on the 5th wheel hitch w/ that cable I have to attach onto it. Going by the 1st responded posts picture, I see he turned it around on the 5th wheel, so that the hitch ball that sits atop the andersen hitch, will allow the 5th hitch clamp, to drop onto & sit closer to the cab & that makes sense so the resting 5th wheel hitch weight when dropped onto the hitch ball, isn't geared toward the back of the bed.

My original thought for the orig post, was making sure the bed height combined with the Anderson pyramid, didn't make the hitch ball too high, for the 5th wheel hitch, to drop onto & lock in. I wasn't sure if the bed height w/ Tremor, along with Andersen pyramid, was going to make the front of the 5th wheel too high & the back bumper of it, too low to the ground.
Just wanted it as even & horizontal as my '03 F150 was when towing the 25' Flagstaf Microlite bumper hitch.

Plus wanted to figure out how to make sure there's enough clearance between 5th wheel overhang & truck bed when making a turn. Someone mentioned 2 fists height? Hope I helped explain that a little better.
Pictured is how the hitch sits w/ the cutouts for the eye hooks that came with the Curt kingpin.

Attachments

• hitch1.jpg
    hitch1.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 50
  • hitch2.jpg
    hitch2.jpg
    465 KB · Views: 50
I actually am in the same boat as you right now. I just purchased a hitch for my new 5th wheel and ran into the same dilemma. Now I chose the Curt Crosswing over the Anderson UH for multiple reasons, but they attach the same way. Both have the requirement of chains in question. I spoke to multiple people, even a few police I know on it and was advised that the law at least for many many states, including my own, requires them since it is a single hook point at the gooseball, but it's not something police are specifically looking for. As mentioned, whos gonna seee them? They would look at it during a stop and maybe not really think much of the difference between it and a normal 5th wheel hitch, but they could also recognize the connection and call it out. I know they did say that for bumper pull trailers, #1 thing they look for around here are for chains not crossed.

Regarding insurance / lawsuit if something happened, it's a roll of the dice. Where is the rv/truck registered and what are the laws there... You never know a lawyer could spin it.

Personally, I bit the bullet and purchased the Crosswing chain kit to attach to the puck holes. I don't have to cut holes with the Crosswing, but I know I saw a thread that someone who spoke to Anderson even blessed cutting holes for the pucks. I spent way too many weeks on this topic inside my own head 😆

I actually am in the same boat as you right now. I just purchased a hitch for my new 5th wheel and ran into the same dilemma. Now I chose the Curt Crosswing over the Anderson UH for multiple reasons, but they attach the same way. Both have the requirement of chains in question. I spoke to multiple people, even a few police I know on it and was advised that the law at least for many many states, including my own, requires them since it is a single hook point at the gooseball, but it's not something police are specifically looking for. As mentioned, whos gonna seee them? They would look at it during a stop and maybe not really think much of the difference between it and a normal 5th wheel hitch, but they could also recognize the connection and call it out. I know they did say that for bumper pull trailers, #1 thing they look for around here are for chains not crossed.

Regarding insurance / lawsuit if something happened, it's a roll of the dice. Where is the rv/truck registered and what are the laws there... You never know a lawyer could spin it.

Personally, I bit the bullet and purchased the Crosswing chain kit to attach to the puck holes. I don't have to cut holes with the Crosswing, but I know I saw a thread that someone who spoke to Anderson even blessed cutting holes for the pucks. I spent way too many weeks on this topic inside my own head 😆
I went w/ the Andersen as the guy that delivered my 5th, didn't need it so I got for $400 vs $1100+. I too heard Cali looks for crossed bumper chains. Now I'm trying to think exactly how long chains I'll need w/ enough slack for turns but not too much to make somewhat useless IF the need arose to function as they should if a pin was sheered or some other chaotic happening. Here in Idaho I'm told by many with this hitch, no law requiring safety chains. I'm just erring on the side of caution. Prob overkill, but all new to me.
Now I'm wondering, as I'm told, the Furrion rear video that came w/ the 5th wheel, along with this tiny monitor that sticks on the windshield, will work on the Lariat Ultimate camera package, I see theres a blue screen on the last camera view. I was told that it WON'T recognize the Furrion camera & now I have to spend another $445 for a FORD camera, that WILL work. I should have just stuck with that Flagstaff Microlite if it wasn't for that Murphy bed. This is starting to become a land boat, where I keep throwing money into the hole & still haven't went on the 1st camp trip. The bumper was so much easier, it seems anyways. I'm told I'll like towing this over the prior, we'll see. Anyone reading if know that I have to get a FORD camera now, please advise as I'm running out of time. If so, hope it will just be able to use the cable already in place in the upper back side of the 5th. Wishful thinking!

If you want the camera video feed on the ford center screen you will need a different hard wired camera. I’d just use the furion with the small screen - that’s what I use too. It’s not really even that necessary or helpful with the great towing mirrors, but the small screen works fine when you need to see behind the 5er.

Yep, you still either use the what came with the 5th wheel and the small monitor, or you purchase the customer placed camera with wiring harness, run the wiring harness either over the roof or along the frame and up to the truck. Again same boat, mine is prepped but don't have either at the moment. I wish the preinstslled wiring worked with the ford camera, but it doesn't. I do have the ford TPMS trailer system, just not the camera. Trying to decide if I want the camera or will the DW suffice lol.

I would be more concerned about whether or not that voided your Andersen warranty and damage protection. Although I would think those holes do not affect function it seems most manufacturers look for any reason to void their policies these days.

I went w/ the Andersen as the guy that delivered my 5th, didn't need it so I got for $400 vs $1100+. I too heard Cali looks for crossed bumper chains. Now I'm trying to think exactly how long chains I'll need w/ enough slack for turns but not too much to make somewhat useless IF the need arose to function as they should if a pin was sheered or some other chaotic happening. Here in Idaho I'm told by many with this hitch, no law requiring safety chains. I'm just erring on the side of caution. Prob overkill, but all new to me.
Now I'm wondering, as I'm told, the Furrion rear video that came w/ the 5th wheel, along with this tiny monitor that sticks on the windshield, will work on the Lariat Ultimate camera package, I see theres a blue screen on the last camera view. I was told that it WON'T recognize the Furrion camera & now I have to spend another $445 for a FORD camera, that WILL work. I should have just stuck with that Flagstaff Microlite if it wasn't for that Murphy bed. This is starting to become a land boat, where I keep throwing money into the hole & still haven't went on the 1st camp trip. The bumper was so much easier, it seems anyways. I'm told I'll like towing this over the prior, we'll see. Anyone reading if know that I have to get a FORD camera now, please advise as I'm running out of time. If so, hope it will just be able to use the cable already in place in the upper back side of the 5th. Wishful thinking!
Just an update on my install, I returned the Crosswing but because it won't allow a true 90. Yes it would be able to clear the corners, but you only will get about 80 degrees. It seems like a great hitch from a build standpoint, but I found a Demco 18k autoslide locally for $600 that a guy had for his super duty that I chose to go with. I did some measuring and with the crosswing, I was 46in from the center of the rear window to the kingpin which won't allow a 90. With the slider I'm almost 54 inces to kingpin when it's 90 degrees, thus giving me the turning ability I was looking for. I know a lot say oh just don't push angle that far, but I'd rather be ready for the instance I may need to. Rather deal with the weight /space of the hitch than a near back window and a C piller dent. Without a goosneck adapter setback, I don't think the Anderson has the clearance for a 90 either in a Ford. Chevy has a longer cab to axle distance than Ford / Ram, thus allowing them a 90 with Anderson and now additional offset.

My 2022 F-350 Tremor and 35 ft fifth wheel toy hauler both ride perfectly level with the Anderson hitch ball in the middle position. The ball receiver on the kingpin is in the forward position. I too installed safety chains as a conservative move for the states that require them, for insurance coverage purposes.

Yep, you still either use the what came with the 5th wheel and the small monitor, or you purchase the customer placed camera with wiring harness, run the wiring harness either over the roof or along the frame and up to the truck. Again same boat, mine is prepped but don't have either at the moment. I wish the preinstslled wiring worked with the ford camera, but it doesn't. I do have the ford TPMS trailer system, just not the camera. Trying to decide if I want the camera or will the DW suffice lol.
Well finally got everything hooked up to the Andersen hitch, pulled it out of the parking pad at home & into the street. Have almost 6" between bed tonneau rails & the overhang, camper almost level so dont believe I'll need to put spacers on the trailer axels to raise it some, not sure yet. Taking it for our 1st camp this friday, only an hour & half away to just get my 1st trial run with it.
Today, I read the manual that came with the cam that was mounted by previous owner. So, just plugged in the main harness & plugged the small furrion monitor in & it actually worked! So will test again tomorrow around a square mile block, make sure everything is working the way it should. Some popup warning that the anti collision thing may not be working w/ trailer attached or something,IDK. Got tomorrow to do final things. I'm told I'll like towing the 36' 5th over the past 25'
tc1.jpg
bumper so we'll see.

Back