Honest Opinion/Review of Ride Quality?

F350 6.7 with 55 psi in the tires rides way better them my 2012 f150 5.0 with 33s and 17s with 36 psi in ko2
and everyone that give no shits about trucks or car all say the Tremor rides better then there own car, but i am also at 18k miles so not sure if it soften things up or not but pot holes are anyones friend but Tremor eats them up and doesn't stop

Firstly, I realize the Tremor is a Super Duty truck which is meant to do work, hence it's payload and max towing capacity. With that said, how do people feel about the ride quality as something they would drive day to day?

It's really hard to know to get a good feel from the reviews I've read and videos I've watched. Most video reviews seem to say that it rides "quite nice" and "doesn't seem like a heavy duty truck" - but there's obviously people saying things contradicting that. I wasn't even able to test-drive a Tremor before ordering my 2022 F-250 Lariat, the lots around here didn't even have one super duty let alone a Tremor to test drive.

I guess the question is - does the F-250 Tremor have decent road manners given it has the F-350 spring pack out back? The high-sidewall tires should really help and I definitely don't plan to run 80psi in the rear tires unless towing heavy. It seems the tire pressure is a big factor, many people that say it rides "surprisingly well" seem to be airing down for normal driving.

I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive it's the other way around with the leaf springs - the F350 Tremor has F250 springs (one less leaf than a normal F350). Aside from that, Tremor rides A LOT better than normal F250/F350, the larger diameter shocks help a lot. The improved ride going with the Tremor is a huge reason why I got a Tremor rather than an F350 FX4. I also run 5 PSI under in the front and 15 under in the rear (unless I'm towing).

I might be wrong, but I'm almost positive it's the other way around with the leaf springs - the F350 Tremor has F250 springs (one less leaf than a normal F350). Aside from that, Tremor rides A LOT better than normal F250/F350, the larger diameter shocks help a lot. The improved ride going with the Tremor is a huge reason why I got a Tremor rather than an F350 FX4. I also run 5 PSI under in the front and 15 under in the rear (unless I'm towing).

According to Ford, the 5 leaf pack that’s equipped on all Tremor’s is the largest pack available for any SRW Super Duty.

A8FBCA65-6F06-4763-ABC6-39C1C8041596.png

Attachments

• 00F2632C-AC07-40E7-AACC-D46D487172C2.png
    00F2632C-AC07-40E7-AACC-D46D487172C2.png
    385.2 KB · Views: 107
I'm not sure on the specifics of the springs, but my regular F250 would squat with very little weight in the bed, my Tremor does not. They seem pretty stiff.

I'm not sure on the specifics of the springs, but my regular F250 would squat with very little weight in the bed, my Tremor does not. They seem pretty stiff.
The regular F250 has different rear springs than the Tremor. All Tremors have the 350 rear springs with an added upper overload pack. The regular F250 and the Tremor ride a lot different from each other. Remember, all Tremors are F350s. But some of them are badged as F250s.

Do the Ridge Grapplers handle better? Are they quieter? I think they have the mountain symbol, right?
Thanks.
Don't know about the mountain symbol -- but I love them Ridge Grapplers are much better and even better after alignment. I think they are slightly noisier but I like that. ... and they look better on the truck (wider)

Last edited:
I believe it depends almost entirely on the type of roads you drive on a regular basis, and that’s why you see so much variation in opinion.

(There’s also a fair bit of fragile masculinity amongst the target demographic for this grown up Tonka toy so many conversations like this quickly devolve into tribalism and “shut up and man up…” type comments rather than rational discourse.)

I’ll use an analogy to describe the ride quality dynamics, but I’ll preface by saying that in my opinion the ride quality, at lower tire pressures, is plenty tolerable and arguably very good: for a medium-duty truck (a meaningful nuance.) Particularly relative to medium-duty trucks of yore (an even more meaningful nuance.)

That said, the ride quality is very far from comfortable let alone ideal in *some* conditions.

Analogy:

If your typical passenger car is like a passenger jet liner, the Tremor is like a regional turboprop.

On a clear day, you’re going to have a smooth flight in either plane.

On a stormy day, you’ll be none the wiser in the jet at 40000 feet. But you’re going to have a long, taxing flight in the turboprop at 20000 feet.

I use this analogy because yesterday I drove somewhat hastily (i.e. not recreationally) along the old, sinuous, fire ravaged Soda Springs Road through the Mayacamas Mountains from Napa Valley to Santa Rosa, CA.

By the end of this drive I was honestly pretty nauseous and felt like I’d flown through a storm.

By contrast, I did this same drive in our family SUV last week. It took 20 minutes less time and I barely noticed how bad that road has gotten. Tempting me to drive it with the Tremor.

The Tremor will beat you up and spit you out on rough roads. And it will keep you on that road longer than you’ll want to be.

That said, once you’re on a highway at highway speed in light traffic, the ride is barely different from what you’ll experience in any other typical vehicle. And is plenty comfortable.

For me, I’m unfortunately far from any freeway and am on rough country roads every day. So a suspension upgrade is inevitably in my future. Luckily there seem to be some great albeit pricey options there.

If you mostly put on highway and suburb miles, and only get into rough stuff for fun (like most people here seemingly) you’ll probably be satisfied with the stock setup in perpetuity.
I agree with you on this!!

The regular F250 has different rear springs than the Tremor. All Tremors have the 350 rear springs with an added upper overload pack. The regular F250 and the Tremor ride a lot different from each other. Remember, all Tremors are F350s. But some of them are badged as F250s.
Roger that!

Don't know about the mountain symbol -- but I love them Ridge Grapplers are much better and even better after alignment. I think they are slightly noisier but I like that. ... and they look better on the truck (wider)
I have Cooper STT Pro's....and in 15-20K I will be switching to The Ridge Grapplers...or maybe the Yokohama's

As far as steering goes, a lot of guys have complained about it wandering. I agree. It is not as stable on the highway as my 3500 Ram SRW, which goes straight as an arrow with very little driver input. I'm thinking of putting in caster shims to maybe make the Tremor better. I'm not sure if it bagan to steer slightly better as the tires became broken in, or if I just got used to steering it so much. But either way, it takes more attention to keep it on the road.

I'm currently running 55 PSI front and rear, with a couple hundred pounds in the bed all the time. 50 would ride better, but is slightly less efficient. Most of my driving is on two lane highways. When towing my 7,500 lb trailer, I run 60 in the rear. On rough dirt roads, I'll air down if we are going a longer distance.
I believe the steering does improve over time, my 7.3L had 34k miles and seemed to settle in after about 5k. I kept getting drowsy driver alerts on the 6.7L this week, so I don’t think it’s us getting used to it. Good news is I should be at 5k by the end of the month.

I hated the Duratracs at first and was ready to go to Ridge Grappler but they broke in after about 2k and I am actually ok with them and will wear them out before I swap. I think they are not as good in mud and snow as the Trail Grapplers I ran on my Raptors. I don’t think I would buy the Goodyear again, I am a Nitto Fan Boy, 6 sets since 08. I ran the Terra Grapplers on my last Super Duty.

I ran 55 front and rear on the 7.3L, will probably stay a little higher (60) on the front wheels on the 6.7L due to the extra weight.

It rides good for a truck but it’s nothing like the GEN1 or GEN2 Raptor. Unfortunately the boss says no more than one truck anymore. Come on Warthog.

I have Cooper STT Pro's....and in 15-20K I will be switching to The Ridge Grapplers...or maybe the Yokohama's
I am not sure but I think they have a new tire the Recon Grappler .... you may want to look at that one also.

Anyone think about replacing the 7,230lbs GAWR 5-leaf springs with a set of 'take-off' 6,340lbs GAWR 4-leaf F-250 springs for when empty and then adding airbags for when carrying load? seems like it would be like putting 890lbs in the back without doing it...

Actually after 100 miles of NFS roads in the High Unitas this weekend I have been more impressed with the diesel. We drove the same roads in July in the 2020 7.3L Tremor and I believe the 2021 6.7L Tremor handled the bumps better. Maybe the additional weight on the front helps. I am carrying the same 600 lbs in the bed of the diesel that I carried in the 7.3L. The 6.7L didn’t feel quite as bone jarring.

I have many tees with coffee stains on them
I can honestly say I have no coffee ☕ stains as my cup is either sealed or I leave it in the cupholder until I am on smoothly paved roads. Realistically the ride is great as long as you remember it is a big-ass truck.

I just came off a 2017 F150 and I was running 80psi in the rears for towing the RV. Likely too much but oh well. With that high of pressure and the light weight of the F150, one expansion joint or but made you feel like you were bouncing into another lane. The 2022 F350 Tremor rides stiff but the extra weight helps to keep it planted.

I took some heavily washboarded forest roads this weekend with about 500lbs in the bed. While it was rough, the truck itself felt way more solid over the bumps than my F150 did with the same load and same road.

I agree, the seats are amazing and smooth a lot of it out. As a one ton truck, I am extremely pleased with how it rides. It’s my DD (planned that way) and I don’t feel like I’m giving up much of anything except some mpg’s

So far, I've only gotten to test drive a 2020 Platinum that had the same 7.3L engine, crew cab, and short bed as my Tremor will. I drove it for about an hour down a variety of roads: large, smooth freeways to narrow, potholed, seam sealed back roads. I can only compare it to other vehicles that I'm familiar with. So, my two closest comparisons are my 2009 Jeep Liberty and my more recent 2018 VW Atlas.

The Liberty had independent front suspension and solid front axle with coil springs. I felt like it was a slightly softer ride (not by much) but could easily "hop" sideways when you hit bumps while cornering due to that solid rear axle not tracking the best. Body roll felt well-controlled to me on the Liberty.

My VW Atlas, for all it's "modern" 4-wheel independent suspension had a tendency to toss people around more than the Liberty did, surprisingly. It was better at sucking up bumps on corners than the Jeep was, though, but it felt like it has more body roll than the Jeep.

The Platinum I test drove felt like it tossed me around less than the Atlas (mind you, while Atlas's have been reviews as having good handling, they aren't known for being a smooth ride). Also, I would say that it did a much better job at absorbing bumps while cornering without feeling like it was bouncing sideways than the Jeep used to and the body roll was also well controlled like the Jeep, even with the truck sitting high up.

Overall, after having read so many varied opinions about the ride of these new Super Duty's, I was a little concerned that it might be a bit torturous as a daily driver (having never owned an HD truck before), but that test drive put my fears to rest. Mind you, I have no idea what that truck's tire pressures were. They may or may not have been stock pressure. They were definitely stock (non-Tremor) tires and (non-Tremor) suspension. I expect my actual Tremor-outfitted truck will be a little bit different, but not too big of a departure from what I was able to test drive, Duratrac break-in notwithstanding.

-SR-

Back