Hitch Height?

NikoNiko

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'20 F250 Tremor with a 3" receiver
Does anyone know what the height of the inside top of the 3" receiver is? Trying to figure out what drop I am going to need for my camper. And well I do not have my truck yet to measure it out.
xGround-to-receiver-01.gif.pagespeed.ic.htqKY2KKj9.webp

Below is with the truck parked in my garage. A hair above 24"

View attachment 4118
I just ordered a 350 Tremor 1-30-21. We have a 33ft tow camper and (while anxiously awaiting build) preparing for this camping season, will I need to use any sort of sway hitch?

I just ordered a 350 Tremor 1-30-21. We have a 33ft tow camper and (while anxiously awaiting build) preparing for this camping season, will I need to use any sort of sway hitch?
You don't need one but it will make your towing much better. Especially on windy days.

I have an Equalizer. Two months ago we came back from the desert on a windy day during which we passed tipped over semis and had no problems. Granted, we left after the worst of the winds but we still got some good gusts but they were no biggie with the Equalizer AND keeping it at about 65.

You don't need one but it will make your towing much better. Especially on windy days.
I have a 29' TT, 33' tip to tail. I have a WDH with sway control from when I towed it with my F150. Since I had all of it already, I did purchase the 2.5", 6" drop shank to transfer everything over. I will not be using it for WD, but rather for sway on long trips and inclimate weather. I also have the weigh safe with the 8" drop that I will use for my yard waste trailer and short tows with the TT.

You just have to remember that you have a 33' sail behind your truck. While your truck will be able to pull it without a problem, wind can be your enemy. So, like Papa said, you may not need it, but it will help on the windy days and will ultimately come down to your comfort.

Does anyone know what the height of the inside top of the 3" receiver is? Trying to figure out what drop I am going to need for my camper. And well I do not have my truck yet to measure it out.
It seems that a number of people on here are targeting around a 7" drop (6-8" range). It ultimately depends on your trailer tongue weight and if you were planning on using any suspension assists (like airbags).

I have a 29' TT, 33' tip to tail. I have a WDH with sway control from when I towed it with my F150. Since I had all of it already, I did purchase the 2.5", 6" drop shank to transfer everything over. I will not be using it for WD, but rather for sway on long trips and inclimate weather. I also have the weigh safe with the 8" drop that I will use for my yard waste trailer and short tows with the TT.

You just have to remember that you have a 33' sail behind your truck. While your truck will be able to pull it without a problem, wind can be your enemy. So, like Papa said, you may not need it, but it will help on the windy days and will ultimately come down to your comfort.
I lowered the hitch 2 inches on my 05 Superduty and the equalizer 3 inches (f150 requires straight ball/hitch), with that I’m going to need a lower shank in order to keep the equalizer. Thanks for heads up.
????????????????????????????

I lowered the hitch 2 inches on my 05 Superduty and the equalizer 3 inches (f150 requires straight ball/hitch), with that I’m going to need a lower shank in order to keep the equalizer. Thanks for heads up.
????????????????????????????
Just ordered the lowering shank for mine. Probably don’t need the equalizer for my load with the 350 but I already have it so I’ll use it.

You might want to check out the lets talk camping forum it has a good discussion and recommendations. After reading I purchased a hitch recommended that has a built in scale.

You might want to check out the lets talk camping forum it has a good discussion and recommendations. After reading I purchased a hitch recommended that has a built in scale.
I have the weigh safe 2.5" shank, 8" drop with scale and the 2" & 2 5/16" balls.

I ordered the 6" drop, but they sent the 8" with keyed alike hitch lock. It will work, so I didn't bother messing with exchanging. Wife had a bunch of credits and crap from Christmas shopping, so only ended up being about $175.

We're doing a trip across the country this summer with our 32' 9900 GVWR trailer. I'm getting the Equalizer Sway hitch rated for 1400lb tongue weight. Is it completely necessary? You can tow without it, but the safety and control afforded with a WDH is worth it to me.

We're doing a trip across the country this summer with our 32' 9900 GVWR trailer. I'm getting the Equalizer Sway hitch rated for 1400lb tongue weight. Is it completely necessary? You can tow without it, but the safety and control afforded with a WDH is worth it to me.
It changes the way it rides on my 05 f350 so I’m certain my new 350 Tremor will agree??

I just purchased the GenY 3" receiver with 6" drop, 36k capacity.

I just purchased the GenY 3" receiver with 6" drop, 36k capacity.
A friend pointed out that I may want to purchase a 2” receiver and sleeve it in case I have an issue. Thought being that having a “more” universal hitch (someone else) can tow trailer for me. Kinda makes sense. ?

Back