Hidden plugs to jump start your truck

MTTremor

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Ford F250 King Ranch Tremor
So when your truck sits for a long period of time the electronics drain your battery. I am getting rid of the key lock on the driver's door and installing a Jimmy Jam for security. With no power you key gob and entery touch pad will not work so you can not get into your truck to open the hood.
I was thinking of hiding a quick connection somewhere around the front bumper so I can attach jumper cables or my Jump and Carry so I am able to unlock the door. Has anyone done this yet?
Anyone have some ideas that might be helpful?

I mean if you are planning to leave your truck sitting so long that it would drain the battery, why not just disconnect the battery?

or a $65 maintenance charger

True. My last Ford the used a 1/2" socket and punched the lick in a mall parking lot and got in fast. People can here a window break during the day in public.
I do not drive my truck every day. I send a lot if my down time on my ranch and could careless about going into town. I have 3 other trucks I use at the ranch so YES it sits.
I have battery tenders on all my other stuff but they are all parked in the shop or garage.
The Tremor is parked under a covered area with no power.

Picture = Why a stay at the ranch.

Attachments

• Reasons.JPG
    Reasons.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 60
So when your truck sits for a long period of time the electronics drain your battery. I am getting rid of the key lock on the driver's door and installing a Jimmy Jam for security. With no power you key gob and entery touch pad will not work so you can not get into your truck to open the hood.
I was thinking of hiding a quick connection somewhere around the front bumper so I can attach jumper cables or my Jump and Carry so I am able to unlock the door. Has anyone done this yet?
If my truck sits for 10+ days, which is common, I get a message in the app that it’s entered Sleep Mode and when I return, I have to put a charger on it to wake it up. So, I‘m mounting an onboard trickle charger that I can plug into an extension cord, much like plugging in the block heater.

For what you’re asking, which is a good idea, I’d use an Anderson SB series connector that matches many of the available jump boxes. It can be mounted easily and you would plug the jump box in without raising the hood.

MB

Last edited:
Thank you for your help.

so i didn't plan on this but i wired up a wire for a rear winch but its a quick disconnect for the winch but could use for a battery or something but i did the same a removed the door lock as well.. but i should test to see if that works doing the disconnect

If my truck sits for 10+ days, which is common, I get a message in the app that it’s entered Sleep Mode and when I return, I have to put a charger on it to wake it up. So, I‘m mounting an onboard trickle charger that I can plug into an extension cord, much like plugging in the block heater.

For what you’re asking, which is a good idea, I’d use an Anderson SB series connector that matches many of the available jump boxes. It can be mounted easily and you would plug the jump box in without raising the hood.

MB
Then something is wrong with your truck.....mine sits for weeks, often over a month without being started. I get the same message ...and on my Mustang and Lincon.

Take it in....you've got a parasitic drain that needs to be resolved.

Wouldn't you just use the key that is stored in the key fob?

Edit: nevermind, now I see you are planning to get rid of your door key-lock.

Attachments

• 1611894025684.png
    1611894025684.png
    504.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
... another thought is to use your FordPass and schedule your truck to startup for 10 minutes once or twice a week @6am for example... to charge the battery. I've heard of people doing that so they jump into a warm truck every morning.

I'm planning on adding a passenger handle since my whole assembly is screwed. My thinking is that with no key the battery would have to be really dead for the keypad to not work. Also, basically any road service or tow truck guy can Jimmy the door open by prying it a little and pull the lock. Keep in mind broken windows are cheaper than door handles when it comes to break ins.

I know this doesn't answer your question specifically but it's a solution that has worked well for me with my truck (Tundra) sitting for months outside. I wired a connector to the brake controller connector and left the panel on the dash in the front window. Truck sits for months but fires up good as new every time.
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 1.47.01 PM.png

Then something is wrong with your truck.....mine sits for weeks, often over a month without being started. I get the same message ...and on my Mustang and Lincon.

Agree!

True. My last Ford the used a 1/2" socket and punched the lick in a mall parking lot and got in fast. People can here a window break during the day in public.
I do not drive my truck every day. I send a lot if my down time on my ranch and could careless about going into town. I have 3 other trucks I use at the ranch so YES it sits.
I have battery tenders on all my other stuff but they are all parked in the shop or garage.
The Tremor is parked under a covered area with no power.

Picture = Why a stay at the ranch.
Good video! Why don’t we just remove the rod connected to the key assembly. That way if someone punches it they still have no way to unlock the truck.

... another thought is to use your FordPass and schedule your truck to startup for 10 minutes once or twice a week @6am for example... to charge the battery. I've heard of people doing that so they jump into a warm truck every morning.
I did not know you can schedule a start up. I will have to look at youtube to see how I can do this.

No sir, nothing wrong with the truck. I've not put a charger on the Tremor to wake it up, but I do receive the Sleep Mode message. My '19 F-250 would be in Sleep Mode long enough during the dead of Winter that it required a charger to wake it up.

MB

Back