🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/3LsqFCE 🎁

Help With Decision. Promise it’s not run of the mill 7.3 vs 6.7!

Guyute941

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F-250 6.7
Kindof a long story but I’ll keep it short. I bought a used 2019 XLT 6.7 F-350 stock 4x4 (not even fx4) last august. I was hesitant on the truck but needed a a super duty for our camper and cross country excursion to visit family during covid times, traded in my 2016 f-150 3.5 EB.

So anyway I bought the f-350 and got it home and I’m just not happy with it. It was a Canadian vehicle that had a little surface rust underneath and a smoke smell that came back after a few weeks. I also took a garden hose to underneath and got a 1/2 wheelbarrow full of dirt out of the frame etc. I wasn’t happy and went to the owner of the dealership who wasn’t happy with their sales and took the truck back, did a full detail, painted the rusted parts etc. it doesn’t have the full center console which I really like and it was under coated (in Canada) when it had 2,000 miles on it with that rubberized stuff. I live in Oregon so we don’t use salt but still would never have undercoated here and worry about the longevity of it.
I tow a 8,000 pound trailer 20 times a year for camping - some trips to Montana, CO etc.

So my question - I definitely can’t afford the a 68k XLT 6.7 Tremor without really making a bad financial decision (pulling out 10k from family savings). I CAN afford the 7.3. My current MPG is 14 empty and was 9 towing. I’m worried about the current diesel longevity with my short trips but I do drive 280 miles to work and back once a week to “clean things out”.
I love the diesel but to make me forget about the rust, Canadian vehicle, no center console, no tailgate step, rubber undercoating and lingering smell (that my daughter says goes away after being in the car and it’s not smoke just musty I feel because I had the passenger side floorboard leak like so many before), would a 7.3 be awesome? I drive a lot of forest service roads for fun too so the lighter rig will benefit that.

Thanks for your insight! Pics of said truck. Cabin air filter and regular air filter after I bought it and inspected further - the dealership “missed inspecting” them.

Attachments

• AA6D9141-5500-4659-8281-B208DF70C8A6.jpeg
    AA6D9141-5500-4659-8281-B208DF70C8A6.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 67454A71-995C-48B3-8BA7-9EF28C5643D0.jpeg
    67454A71-995C-48B3-8BA7-9EF28C5643D0.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 159
  • 2044797F-5AA5-46F2-BF0C-FA989190CAA1.jpeg
    2044797F-5AA5-46F2-BF0C-FA989190CAA1.jpeg
    766.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 6870DB7D-8455-4BB0-A9EC-8F6AE999A465.jpeg
    6870DB7D-8455-4BB0-A9EC-8F6AE999A465.jpeg
    536 KB · Views: 146
  • 9483BEE5-0AE7-4B73-8F32-8D0CF568F809.jpeg
    9483BEE5-0AE7-4B73-8F32-8D0CF568F809.jpeg
    392.3 KB · Views: 151
Get the 7.3. Brand new, same mpg. It’s a beast!
Thank you - that’s how I feel especially if the 7.3 really will be same mpg 14 all around 9 towing 8,000 pounds Outdoors Rv.

What makes you think the 6.7 won't last? It should be getting better mileage than that - maybe you need to take it to be assessed by somebody competent?

You're concerned about losing money but it seems that is a given if you cut bait without a good reason.

What makes you think the 6.7 won't last? It should be getting better mileage than that - maybe you need to take it to be assessed by somebody competent?

You're concerned about losing money but it seems that is a given if you cut bait without a good reason.
I just think my driving in town a lot and the whole emissions thing - but I do take it out for long hauls and know to keep on service. I guess it’s maybe more the bad taste of buying the truck I did and not having 100% stoke every time I get in it - knowing about the rust, smell, undercoating, not knowing how bad the previous guy beat it for 20k miles. My diesel tech said it’s good to go mecanicaly - but I’m not sure I want to dump 3k into some fox 2.0 suspension if I’m not into it - knowing I’d be giving up the 6.7 for the 7.3 but would have everything I want on it.

I do have about 600lbs of sand in back but it’s only the 6 speed too. What kind of mileage should a 2019 350 be getting? Mountainous region of central oregon.

Seems the interior could be cleaned up and smelling good with some elbow grease. The truck looks good otherwise.

If your mechanic says it is good it doesn't make financial sense to me. I gather you're relatively young with a family so this is the time you should be putting as much as you can into your retirement. It is really hard to play catchup later. $0.02

Are you just needed someone to twist your arm or convince you to buy a new truck. LOL!
I have a diesel on order and the 7.3 is still heavy on my mind. LOL!

Seems the interior could be cleaned up and smelling good with some elbow grease. The truck looks good otherwise.

If your mechanic says it is good it doesn't make financial sense to me. I gather you're relatively young with a family so this is the time you should be putting as much as you can into your retirement. It is really hard to play catchup later. $0.02
Ya it’s not terrible and I re-cleaned interior. Guess I’m just wanting a Tremor and it’s package where it’s ready to go and I’m not adding suspension etc to a truck I’m not 1000 times happy with - I already got trade in quotes and won’t loose money on it - just starting over with loan etc. IF I go 7.3 (also could try and sell private party but don’t want to be out of a truck). I’m early 40’s career firefighter - like saving money and spending money :)

Are you just needed someone to twist your arm or convince you to buy a new truck. LOL!
I have a diesel on order and the 7.3 is still heavy on my mind. LOL!
Think that’s the truth! Congrats on your truck! If price was no concern (or moderate) I’d have a decently optioned xlt 6.7.

This is NOT an easy decision. I spent months trying to decide! If you don't plan on towing much and plan to drive it on short trips I would say the 7.3l might be the way to go. I went with the diesel because it's my tow vehicle. It's also the vehicle we take out of town for day trips and it's been great for that. I don't daily drive it much though.

I just think my driving in town a lot and the whole emissions thing - but I do take it out for long hauls and know to keep on service. I guess it’s maybe more the bad taste of buying the truck I did and not having 100% stoke every time I get in it - knowing about the rust, smell, undercoating, not knowing how bad the previous guy beat it for 20k miles. My diesel tech said it’s good to go mecanicaly - but I’m not sure I want to dump 3k into some fox 2.0 suspension if I’m not into it - knowing I’d be giving up the 6.7 for the 7.3 but would have everything I want on it.

I do have about 600lbs of sand in back but it’s only the 6 speed too. What kind of mileage should a 2019 350 be getting? Mountainous region of central oregon.
Your mileage doesn’t sound far off from most guys I have talked to. Around 14 empty and 10 or so towing, there are some that claimed higher but most guys I talked to were seeing the numbers you say. I have the 7.3 with 5k on it and averaging 12.8 right now. I have not towed yet so can’t comment on that side but the few road trips that I did I saw 13.8 for the trip so close to 14. My worry with the diesel would be the same as yours longevity. The block might be good and mechanical it might be solid but it’s all the sensors and emissions that would concern me more so than the motor itself. From the sounds of it the truck could of had a rough previous owner so it could be concerning how well they took care of it. The 7.3 is nice but it will not have the mileage and power of the new 2020+ 6.7 so you have to decide how important that is to you. I would say the 7.3 is capable of 12-13 mpg conservatively and maybe 7-9 towing depending on what’s back there. I would feather be conservative on my mileage and be surprised that over figure and be back to where you’re at now. Look around the forum plenty of 6.7 and 7.3 talk that my help make your mind up.

We had a 2019 6.7 diesel 3.55 gearing loved the truck and it was great on gas just upgraded to 2020 6.7 tremor if your truck is solid I would build it up FX4 is just a skid plate package which you can bolt all that on and a lift kit

You sound squared away on finances. I'm ditching my '16 F150
FX4 3.5EB because it's not enough truck for our new ORV 21RWS. The 7.3 is like 15% stronger than the Ecoboost - that's not enough of a margin for me plus the comfort of descending long grades with the Jake brake is a huge plus. As to the PowerStroke's longevity who thinks the 7.3 will last even 1/3 as long especially if it has to tow frequently? And the long warranty will certainly see you through any teething problems. If the PowerStroke was so questionable why are hundreds of thousands of guys buying them? OK, maybe we're all deluded but I really don't think so. That engine is into its 9 year or so of development so I do think Ford is getting it sussed pretty well.

FX4 3.5EB because it's not enough truck for our new ORV 21RWS. The 7.3 is like 15% stronger than the Ecoboost - that's not enough of a margin for me plus the comfort of descending long grades with the Jake brake is a huge plus. As to the PowerStroke's longevity who thinks the 7.3 will last even 1/3 as long especially if it has to tow frequently? And the long warranty will certainly see you through any teething problems. If the PowerStroke was so questionable why are hundreds of thousands of guys buying them? OK, maybe we're all deluded but I really don't think so. That engine is into its 9 year or so of development so I do think Ford is getting it sussed pretty well.
Interesting thought on the 15% number - we have the 21DBS ORV and I had no faith in the 3.5L EB after towing it across the cascades hence the 2019 350 before heading to Ohio. Maybe I keep crunching numbers to get the 6.7 to work :)

We had a 2019 6.7 diesel 3.55 gearing loved the truck and it was great on gas just upgraded to 2020 6.7 tremor if your truck is solid I would build it up FX4 is just a skid plate package which you can bolt all that on and a lift kit
It’s solid just back of mind watching the videos of people poking holes in the rubber undercoating years later because it wasn’t applied right etc, plus a few interior things my current truck doesn’t have that I would enjoy. So my thought of spending 5k to get the suspension, skid plates etc or just cutting ties and spending a little more for brand new no mods needed is what bounces back and forth in my head.

I think what most people mean by longevity is not so much the motor itself, but more so the the emission systems like the DEF, DPF, EGR, and or the fuel pump. Who knows how long the 7.3 will last, too early to tell, but Ford designed it for work so I would hope it can go the distance.

To the OP have you considered a non tremor by chance? Save a little more money and could upgrade down the road as you want. Unless the tremor offers something you could upgrade easily, just tossing out an idea is all.

I understand what you're saying, but I believe there is more to the story. The 6.0 PowerStroke was in it's 5th year before they moved on, and Ford built and sold hundreds of thousands of those things. I don't think all those people were deluded, and I also don't think all those people had problems with their trucks....but many of them did. Basically, just because hundreds of thousands of people do something, that doesn't make it a good or bad idea. There are hundreds of thousands of people that voted for Biden, and there are hundreds of thousands of people that voted for Trump. At the end of the day, you have to figure out which option best serves your needs and wants.

The '21 6.7 PowerStroke of today isn't the same as an '11 6.7 PowerStroke. Are they built off the same basic foundation, yes, but in the modern diesel world, emissions change everything. Does that mean a '21 PowerStroke is a bad idea, no, not at all. Does it mean that the 7.3 is now the best option to get, no, not at all. What it does mean is that if you choose to go with the diesel, you are by default accepting a higher level of risk. This isn't good or bad given the benefits of the diesel. What makes it good or bad is where you are in life and what type of headaches you're okay putting up with.

If someone votes for Trump, by default, they're accepting the fact that there will be continued tweets coming out of the Whitehouse that many will find offensive. If someone votes for Biden, they are be default accepting the fact that the guy sometimes won't be able to follow a script and will end up fumbling his words and thoughts (sorry, I was trying to come up with an example that wasn't too controversial).

I have a '21 7.3 and am happy with it. That said, I have no idea how long it will last and I have nothing but guesses to go off of regarding it's longevity vs the PowerStroke. One thing I do know, I no longer have to wonder or care how long my emissions system will hold up.

To the OP, my best advice to you is to sit down and decide if you're cool with less power (but still adequate) when towing. Figure out if getting 11-13 MPGs with regular driving is a deal breaker. I know, I know, there are always those guys that talk about getting 14+ miles per gallon. DON'T COUNT ON IT. There is so much that affects your MPGs that's it's hard to even have a conversation with someone about it. Like @TxTremor said, expect lower numbers and if you're good with those numbers, then going above those numbers is a bonus. Also, figure out if you're alright with having to fuel up every 200 miles while towing and every 400 miles while empty. If you're good with all of that, strongly consider the 7.3 gas.

Now, if you sit down and decide that you're not okay with those things, then figure out if you're okay with continuing to deal with diesel fuel additives, def/def potentially freezing, getting bad fuel, the small chance that you might be one of those guys driving 5mph on the side of the road because a sensor thinks you're polluting the air too much, etc. If those things don't really bother you, then go with the diesel and enjoy that beast!

This post is now way longer than intended, so last but not least, Loshad, please note that I am not trying to pick on you.

I think what most people mean by longevity is not so much the motor itself, but more so the the emission systems like the DEF, DPF, EGR, and or the fuel pump. Who knows how long the 7.3 will last, too early to tell, but Ford designed it for work so I would hope it can go the distance.

To the OP have you considered a non tremor by chance? Save a little more money and could upgrade down the road as you want. Unless the tremor offers something you could upgrade easily, just tossing out an idea is all.
Have a non tremor 2019 f-350 stock xlt. Want the better suspension, full center console, no rubber undercoating, not sure I want to dump a few thousand in suspension to my 19 and still not be happy with the history of it.

Have a non tremor 2019 f-350 stock xlt. Want the better suspension, full center console, no rubber undercoating, not sure I want to dump a few thousand in suspension to my 19 and still not be happy with the history of it.
I hear ya, I just meant if you got a new non-tremor that would save some money. You could probably upgrade the suspension to Fox when you want, which would probably be better than what comes stock on the tremor. Just saying that’s all, if you like the tremor and the 7.3 not trying to talk ya out of it. I do like mine and the fact that it’s all done from the factory so I really have no desire to change anything right now.

Back