Help w/ engine choice - the dead horse thread

My new default answer going forward is going to be that if you are on the fence at all, buy the Powerstroke. If you change your mind your chances at a high value trade in or private sale are much, much greater than if you get the 7.3 and decide you have regrets and then trying to offload a gas engine Superduty.
I was on the fence when I bought my power wagon (gas).

Now I’m buying a new truck two years later.

Muffler bearings definitely need to be looked after but adding diesel additives to increase lubricity is money well spent. Ford says additives are unnecessary but if that's true then why do they sell them?

Muffler bearings definitely need to be looked after but adding diesel additives to increase lubricity is money well spent. Ford says additives are unnecessary but if that's true then why do they sell them?

I don't think they hurt anything. But I've yet to be convinced they are necessary. Well except anti gel if you live in cold areas. That I'm a believer in.

The whole Diesel has higher resale value than the 7.3L is tiresome. You pay more, so you should get more on resale. That's like saying buy a Platinum since it will have a higher resale value than the XLT. No 💩. I would hope if I buy a 10k option, I get part of it back in the resale.

I spoke with a customer yesterday that got a 7.3 over the 6.7. He said his concern was in remote areas , quality of diesel in those areas. Which is a very valid concern. I don't plan to be in remote areas so it was less of a concern for me. Could get the 60 gallon boy though, less of a concern

The jury, not of my peers but far smarter, is unanimous that removing sulphur so Greta Thunberg can sleep is bad for injectors. Using Archoil AR6500 lets me sleep better.

Getting a 60 gal tank lets me pass on by stations in the boonies.

The 7.3 engine choice is specifically for the poor's and everyone knows it. So again, go be poor somewhere else. :)

Saying this as I'm ordering fuel filters, air filters, 13 qts of synthetic oil and an oil filter doesn't make the joke as funny...

Another factor in the decision for some folks is regulatory in nature. I didn't mention this in my initial response and I don't remember anyone else doing so, but if this is a repeat please forgive. I can only speak for Texas, since that's the locality of interest for me and thus where I have spent the majority of my efforts in research. Basically, here in Texas you have 2 main divisions of driver's licenses...commercial and non-commercial. And within each of those, you have 3 main classes (not going to get into motorcycles here)....A B and C. The first part is common to all states I believe as it is part of the federal framework...the 2nd part I believe is semi-unique to Texas in that you have all 3 classes represented in the non-CDL division. Anyway...in Texas...if you have a tow vehicle + trailer, and your GCWR is over 26000 pounds AND the trailer's GVWR exceeds 10000 pounds..you require a class A license. If you are getting paid to tow, you need the CDL version. Personal/recreation use...non-CDL version. The only Tremor that does not have a GCWR of over 26000 pounds is a 7.3L F-250. So that means if I want to pull a trailer with a GVWR of over 10000 pounds, I am restricted to a 7.3L F-250 <or> I am required to get a Class-A license (non-commercial, in my case). I know about the farm exemption etc...and that doesn't apply to me. So anyway...make sure that's part of your calculus if any of that might apply to your situation.

Last edited:
Studies consistently show that diesels improve sexual performance and make you more attractive to women. No one wants gas on a date.
I can already see the agenda for a guy with a 7.3 on a date.

Dinner
Gas station
Movie
Gas station
Drive in for ice cream
Gas station
Pray she doesn’t live too far out of town or possibly another trip to the gas station.

I can already see the agenda for a guy with a 7.3 on a date.

Dinner
Gas station
Movie
Gas station
Drive in for ice cream
Gas station
Pray she doesn’t live too far out of town or possibly another trip to the gas station.

Any smooth operator keeps spare cans of gas in their bed for just this occasion.

Any smooth operator keeps spare cans of gas in their bed for just this occasion.
Touché! Those Built Well bed racks and gas cans would be clutch, well unless you had other intentions for use of the bed…. It’s made for the backroads after all. 😜

My new default answer going forward is going to be that if you are on the fence at all, buy the Powerstroke. If you change your mind your chances at a high value trade in or private sale are much, much greater than if you get the 7.3 and decide you have regrets and then trying to offload a gas engine Superduty.
What he said. I bought a 2022 6.7 diesel powerstroke and I love it. The Cummins engine is very reliable. Paired with a 10-speed transmission I haul my fifth wheel like a rag doll.

out-of-gas-gas-station.gif

The 7.3 engine choice is specifically for the poor's and everyone knows it. So again, go be poor somewhere else. :)

Saying this as I'm ordering fuel filters, air filters, 13 qts of synthetic oil and an oil filter doesn't make the joke as funny...
Peasants..we like to being referred to as peasants. Poor just sounds so demeaning. Although I was pretty poor growing up with kids making fun of my clothes and shoes. Did you happen to go to school in Arkansas in the 80’s? 😂

But yeah, I still haven’t ordered yet..and still leaning toward the 7.3 with the hope Ford figures out this plug wire nonsense sooner than later, mileage be damned.

If I were to want/need the diesel, then I'd go straight to the 450...

Back