Help w/ engine choice - the dead horse thread

I chose 7.3L

I don't like diesel. I don't like DEF. I don't like recharge cycles. I don't like diesel maintenance, and at least with the 250, I just don't see why I would need 1000 foot pounds of torque.

And let's be clear. Not for one moment am I sweating my ability to sell the truck... The 7.3L isn't some limp-wristed, over-hyped, shit motor... It's a big iron block, pushrod V-8 that can make 1500hp on stock internals. The truck will sell just fine without having to pay the ridiculous diesel premium at the outset.

Choose whichever motor you prefer, unless it's a working truck, it doesn't really matter.

It was literally the 7.3 that sold me on the Tremor. Mostly everywhere you look now powerplants are getting more and more complicated to get maximum economy and in the case of diesels - meet modern emission standards. I personally wouldn't touch the ecoboost for example, overly complex and prone to having significant issues (not to mention the horrid design where the water pump is driven from the timing chain). Even the issues associated to direct injection are quite a turn off, but those seem to be getting "better".

The good ol' 7.3 is a simple as it gets and is extremely overbuilt for the factory tune of only 430hp/475tq. The 7.3 is rated for use in very large commercial vehicles so it will have no issue moving around a pickup truck + trailer. As mentioned previously, people are making crazy numbers with the 7.3 in its stock configuration.

Im having the same dilema....7.3 v. 6.7. I have a 6.2 so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt. If money wasn't an option I'd be in a 6.7 without even thinking about it but $ is a concern for me.

The diesel is 100% discretionary. So if the added expenses are at all a concern, save your money.

The diesel is 100% discretionary. So if the added expenses are at all a concern, save your money.
But what about the "fun" I mean Ive spent more than 10K on some cars and my grin isn't as big when I mash the gas pedal.

Also: A replacement Godzilla motor costs $7000 brand new. One could keep a spare around for peace of mind for less than the upfront cost of the diesel.
I’ll be picking up my spare Godzilla and throwing it in the garage I’m sure my wife will never get annoyed at a crate sitting in the garage for the next 10+ years just in case haha.

I believe I'm pretty unbiased in my opinions and I really like both engine options I just believe that the 6.7 is the flagship motor and that if you can afford it and are ok with the unique maintenance requirements of the 6.7 it would be a great truck to own. If someone doesn't need it or doesn't care about power and fuel range then the 7.3 I'd great. I personally care quite a bit about power and torque. I'm also not gonna own a diesel very far out of warranty if I get one.

I believe I'm pretty unbiased in my opinions and I really like both engine options I just believe that the 6.7 is the flagship motor and that if you can afford it and are ok with the unique maintenance requirements of the 6.7 it would be a great truck to own. If someone doesn't need it or doesn't care about power and fuel range then the 7.3 I'd great. I personally care quite a bit about power and torque. I'm also not gonna own a diesel very far out of warranty if I get one.

The Godzilla has a shit ton of power and torque. Just compare the power curves. And add in a previous generation power stroke for posterity.

Don’t convince yourself to spend money you don’t have.

If you’re not at all worried about the money then, sure, go for the flagship…

I suppose, if your definition of fun is working for someone else for the rest of your life. 😅
If $8,000 extra is going to be the difference between working for someone else, or not, then I think you have much bigger issues to work out…
I mean, you’re paying probably +80,000 for a truck and your going to be concerned about 8,000 spread out over 3 or 5 years????
Ok…

If $8,000 extra is going to be the difference between working for someone else, or not, then I think you have much bigger issues to work out…
I mean, you’re paying probably +80,000 for a truck and your going to be concerned about 8,000 spread out over 3 or 5 years????
Ok…

You're missing the forest for the trees. He's saying he's concerned about the extra cost of the diesel. In which case, my opinion is, don't spend it. We're not even getting into whether the remainder of the cost is affordable to him.

That said: $10k is meaningful on a … checks notes …~$65k truck. Over 15%. You have to go really overboard on a Tremor to get up to $80k without the diesel. And if you did $10k is still ~12.5%. That's a very meaningful percentage of the overall cost.

And $10k is a very meaningful amount of money to use in other ways if $10k is of any financial “concern” for you. For example, two of my angel investments this year are marked up over 3500% each. If I had invested $5k in each that would be a $360k gain right now versus a $10k expense on the year.

So, if $10k is a meaningful expense to you, and saving $10k allows you to invest $10k. Invest it. That's my indisputable point.

I don't know what any of us get out of goading a guy who's saying “the extra cost of a diesel is a concern for me” into incurring that cost for no good reason.

Last edited:
Also: A replacement Godzilla motor costs $7000 brand new. One could keep a spare around for peace of mind for less than the upfront cost of the diesel.
Pretty sure that’s about the cost of a set of new injectors for the 6.7, too.

Ok…
$80k? Mine was $54k.

Back