Help me understand: Why would you mod away everything that made your Tremor different from a non-Tremor super duty?

Trämör

7.3L > 6.7L
Reaction Points
Current Ride
F250 Tremor
Current Ride #2
BMW M4 Competition Convertible
Guys,

posted a hint at this on another thread but this one actually kept me thinking. A lot of you out there are putting Carli (and other) suspension lifts on the truck, mostly combining them with bigger or different tires (i.e. Toyos are a common thing). Additional mods include: CAI, tune, exhaust and the usual suspects. It is my understanding the Tremor package differs from a normal super duty in only a few parts: Tires, Shocks, Offroad modes and Gear settings. This begs the question for me: Why did you invest into the Tremor package if you're changing everything out that you paid for? You could've done the same with a cheaper non-tremor super duty? What am I missing here?

Thanks for the info! Just curiosity really - want to make sure I know my tremor well and make educated mod choices in the future!

Last edited:
Ok I’ll bite but I probably have the least reputable opinion. I have wondered this exact question many times. From what I gather and my own thought process, there aren’t any concrete answers. For some tinkering is fun, for some they need the best of the best, for some the quality or functionality of Fords chosen parts aren’t up to “standards”. I think the Tremor is great initial platform and for most owners it will likely remain just as Ford intended. Ford can only make so many variations of a product and still maintain the profit margin. If people desire to make changes, so be it. Even if you buy a Ferrari, people still tear it down to make it 0.1 sec faster, etc. A lot of the mods are preferentially changed because it makes their situation better, safer, etc. Tremor lights are ok but not great if you‘re out in the bush at midnight. The chosen tires are probably fine for 75% of Tremor owner, but again a great off-roading experience begs for a bigger, wider tire. These rims allow a very small replacement option, so better tires means new rims. I also think for some, it’s just important to express themselves with “the look” that best fits their eye. Some changes made here, I scratch my head and think what the hell were they thinking lol. I also think that way about tattoos on someone’s face or piercings everywhere. But I’m older and to each their own. I have a beautiful 2019 F-350 and since the Tremor came out, I can’t stop trying to figure how to get out of my truck and into a Tremor. No real reason, my truck runs great and gets me to work just fine. Tremor, to my eye looks much, much better. I need it!!! I see so many things that I now want to mod on my truck that only bother me since the Tremor. So I have a Tremor coming in 2 weeks. I’ll probably change a few things. Probably not a full Cari 5” lift (not sure I could get up in it lol). But I think tire/wheels (37’s look awfully good in that wheel well) in time and probably some extra lights at a minimum. I guess this is an example of what makes us all different. The mod shops love that we are all a bit crazy :)

Ok I’ll bite but I probably have the least reputable opinion. I have wondered this exact question many times. From what I gather and my own thought process, there aren’t any concrete answers. For some tinkering is fun, for some they need the best of the best, for some the quality or functionality of Fords chosen parts aren’t up to “standards”. I think the Tremor is great initial platform and for most owners it will likely remain just as Ford intended. Ford can only make so many variations of a product and still maintain the profit margin. If people desire to make changes, so be it. Even if you buy a Ferrari, people still tear it down to make it 0.1 sec faster, etc. A lot of the mods are preferentially changed because it makes their situation better, safer, etc. Tremor lights are ok but not great if you‘re out in the bush at midnight. The chosen tires are probably fine for 75% of Tremor owner, but again a great off-roading experience begs for a bigger, wider tire. These rims allow a very small replacement option, so better tires means new rims. I also think for some, it’s just important to express themselves with “the look” that best fits their eye. Some changes made here, I scratch my head and think what the hell were they thinking lol. I also think that way about tattoos on someone’s face or piercings everywhere. But I’m older and to each their own. I have a beautiful 2019 F-350 and since the Tremor came out, I can’t stop trying to figure how to get out of my truck and into a Tremor. No real reason, my truck runs great and gets me to work just fine. Tremor, to my eye looks much, much better. I need it!!! I see so many things that I now want to mod on my truck that only bother me since the Tremor. So I have a Tremor coming in 2 weeks. I’ll probably change a few things. Probably not a full Cari 5” lift (not sure I could get up in it lol). But I think tire/wheels (37’s look awfully good in that wheel well) in time and probably some extra lights at a minimum. I guess this is an example of what makes us all different. The mod shops love that we are all a bit crazy :)
100% get what you’re saying and I agree even a tremor can be in need for some mods to some parts for whatever reason. BUT why would you buy the tremor instead of keeping your 350 if you (not you in particular but generally) change out everything that makes that tremor different from the 350. That’s the part I don’t get. Then wouldn’t it have been better to just stick to the 350, get the Carli/tires/tune and be better than a stock tremor?

100% get what you’re saying and I agree even a tremor can be in need for some mods to some parts for whatever reason. BUT why would you buy the tremor instead of keeping your 350 if you (not you in particular but generally) change out everything that makes that tremor different from the 350. That’s the part I don’t get. Then wouldn’t it have been better to just stick to the 350, get the Carli/tires/tune and be better than a stock tremor?
I agree with you Pat. I was in the process of putting together my build for my new truck. I intended on getting an F350 with the options I wanted but without the Tremor. Then I was planning on adding a Carli kit, etc to make it what I wanted. I realized I was quickly adding costs that I would never see again if I trade/sell. Since I don't keep vehicles over 3 yrs typically, I decided it just didn't make sense to do all the aftermarket stuff when the Tremor would do everything I need it to offroad and I won't just lose the cost of the upgrades. If I were planning on doing a Carli, etc., I would not put the cost in the Tremor package. To each their own though!

I agree with you Pat. I was in the process of putting together my build for my new truck. I intended on getting an F350 with the options I wanted but without the Tremor. Then I was planning on adding a Carli kit, etc to make it what I wanted. I realized I was quickly adding costs that I would never see again if I trade/sell. Since I don't keep vehicles over 3 yrs typically, I decided it just didn't make sense to do all the aftermarket stuff when the Tremor would do everything I need it to offroad and I won't just lose the cost of the upgrades. If I were planning on doing a Carli, etc., I would not put the cost in the Tremor package. To each their own though!
Alternately, if that is the plan, one could even just get one of those Tuscany trucks that come well built and warranty-covered out of their Indianapolis shop. Like an FTX or Harley Davidson. Then you just have to trade off if the added price tag for Tuscany-built is worth the warranty they give on it. That is considering it wouldn’t turn into a pissing match between Tuscany and FoMoCo in case of concerns, but there’s a reason these guys only do suspension/aesthetics and not software/tune.

Alternately, if that is the plan, one could even just get one of those Tuscany trucks that come well built and warranty-covered out of their Indianapolis shop. Like an FTX or Harley Davidson. Then you just have to trade off if the added price tag for Tuscany-built is worth the warranty they give on it. That is considering it wouldn’t turn into a pissing match between Tuscany and FoMoCo in case of concerns, but there’s a reason these guys only do suspension/aesthetics and not software/tune.
My journey started when I got my mind dead set on a 20 or 21 Roush F350. Once I started doing the math, I realzied I was going to have a fancy Lariet with a ton of money in add ons that don't really improve much as far as performance goes. When it came time to trade/sell. I would have a Roush Lariet but it would still be a Lariet so, unless someone really wanted the Roush package, its just a Lariet. That's when I started putting my build list together for a Carli suspension, springs, airbags, etc. on an otherwise stock Platnium. I was still cheaper than the Roush and way more capable offroad while also a better ride on the road. The main issue for me is that I have a 6.7 350 for a reason... towing. To maintain the towing capabilities, not squat, etc it was just getting to be too much. After more research, I just relized what I was looking for was the Tremor for my needs. The fact that I would get at least some return on what differeniates a Tremor from a none Tremor, it made the most sense. I love looking at everyone else's trucks though.

Yeah I'm not sure what drives people do to some of these replacement type mods but I dont waste much time worrying about it. I have always thought its their money they can spend it any way they want, same as me. I do like the Tremor package alot though, some people outside this forum bash on it as just a trim package but it really is a pretty good mild off road build package that has some useful features and value.

I always wanted a power wagon but the payload and towing capacity just wasnt good enough. The Tremor is a good compromise and I think Ford did a great job targeting folks that want a mild offroad truck that can still tow pretty heavy.

I am not one to do lots of mods. Mine will be minimal and just enough to make the truck truly mine. My mods are going to be functional and some for the looks. I am adding a Ranch Hand replacement bullnose bumper, having it Line-xd, with offroad lights (getting installed tomorrow), adding sumo springs, pmf dual steering stabilizer, diamondback hd bed cover, maybe different exhaust and a tune. Other than that, I am not making any changes. I would like to run wider tires, but I don't want to replace the rims, so that probably won't happen. I got the tremor specifically so I wouldn't have to do any major suspension work or new rims/tires.

I guess everyone is different. I'm getting a Tremor specifically because it already has a lot of the common mods one might do to a 4WD full-size truck, but setup by factory engineers and covered by a manufacturers warranty. I'm old enough to have been through a good number of trucks (as have many of you I'm sure), and after modding them sometimes at the end of the day you question if you actually improved the truck by replacing factory parts with aftermarket stuff. Sometimes you feel like you cheapened or reduced the refinement of the truck, but spent lots of money doing so.

The main "mods" I'm thinking about when the truck finally arrives is just removing the Tremor sticker (maybe), then window tint plus PPF on the front end.

So far I haven't changed any tremor parts except for the wheels and tire, I changed them because I never liked the tremor wheels which are just work truck wheels with a paint job and the tires were terrible on my truck. The leveling kit on my truck retains all of the tremor suspension, however I do want to get a set of fox shocks with reservoirs for better ride, performance and looks. Even if I changed out all the tremor suspension, wheels and tires I would still buy the package since it has the lsd, axle vent, running boards, chin spoiler, stickers, tech and cool factor. Of course I get to be a part of the awesome tremor community too. Also have to remember all the stock parts can be sold to make up for most of the price of the package.

I was going to build mine without the tremor package but i got 1700$ in discounts with all my options, so it wasnt much more for me. It added a few things like lsd front axle and body color fender flares. Additionally ill be able to sell my wheels for a bit more than the standard black ones. I would like to keep the suspension, but I want to run 37’s. Overall im happy with my truck and really just want minor changes to meet my end goals. I dont think wheels/tires/level is major mods, and I can sell the tremor parts to reduce overall cost as well.

I am not planning to go crazy with mods, I changed wheels and tires, and will probably do a few more like dual front stabalizer and cold air intake...possibly an exhaust (because the stock 7.3l exhaust looks like dog shit)

Having said that, I bet a big reason people take a Tremor and heavily mod it is because they can do it at a slower pace while still enjoying a pretty awesome truck the whole way through. I personally couldnt afford to buy a loaded lariat, then go spend 10 to 20 grand in mods the next day. But if I wa ted to, I could do that over time and sell most of the items I strip off for a decent return AND at the end of the day still have rock crawl mode, and off road cruise control.

I dont plan on doing much, but dont find it odd at all that someone might. More power to 'em!

I am not one to do lots of mods. Mine will be minimal and just enough to make the truck truly mine. My mods are going to be functional and some for the looks. I am adding a Ranch Hand replacement bullnose bumper, having it Line-xd, with offroad lights (getting installed tomorrow), adding sumo springs, pmf dual steering stabilizer, diamondback hd bed cover, maybe different exhaust and a tune. Other than that, I am not making any changes. I would like to run wider tires, but I don't want to replace the rims, so that probably won't happen. I got the tremor specifically so I wouldn't have to do any major suspension work or new rims/tires.
Lol I’m glad you’re not making many changes lol.

My main reason for the Tremor was Rock Crawl and Trail Control ( I miss Baja mode). I got taught how to really use it at Raptor Assault and said the next truck must have it. It’s also great for loading bales of hay in the field or when I have washed the truck and want to keep the dust down on the 6 mile dirt road to the house.

I also like the front LSD, rear locker, vented axels, Raptor style running boards and short front spoiler. As you know Pat86B, I do spend a lot of time off-road so these were important for me in a 1 ton. I think the tune was a good upgrade for the 7.3L since I am hauling a truck camper at high altitudes, It has improved shift patterns and fuel mileage.

Since I am hauling a truck camper a lot, sway bar, airbags and sumos were a must but the Carli HD progressive leafs & coils, Fox Factory Race shocks/stabilizer and wider tires (which must include rim replacement) will help with overall stabilization. Throw in some lights and I am done, until something else pops in my head.

Oh yeah, and Borla Exhaust because factory exhaust sucks.

I live In WI. We aren’t the rock climbing capital of the world. I consider tires to perform in the snow first then off road. If necessary, I’ve found swapping a whole tire package is much easier than exchanging rims and tires.

Those are all good reasons. Subjective value mostly, but even in @Uncas case who swaps out almost everything, the tremor package still made sense for its software components. I totally get that - and one can make some money back on the tremor parts, that’s great too. I think for me personally, I want to stay as close to stock as possible and changes will be aesthetically driven. So I’m just gonna do some Baja Designs on grill and pillars because that extra light makes a real difference at night/inclement weather. Definitely will get the Borla exhaust once its released, because I didn’t switch from a 3.5 HO EB to a V8 and deal with it being super tame. Maybe, just maybe a leveling kit that doesn’t change stock suspension/affect geometry much but I don’t mind the rake to the extend that it’s worth 1000s just for aesthetic purposes.

My main reason for the Tremor was Rock Crawl and Trail Control ( I miss Baja mode). I got taught how to really use it at Raptor Assault and said the next truck must have it. It’s also great for loading bales of hay in the field or when I have washed the truck and want to keep the dust down on the 6 mile dirt road to the house.

I also like the front LSD, rear locker, vented axels, Raptor style running boards and short front spoiler. As you know Pat86B, I do spend a lot of time off-road so these were important for me in a 1 ton. I think the tune was a good upgrade for the 7.3L since I am hauling a truck camper at high altitudes, It has improved shift patterns and fuel mileage.

Since I am hauling a truck camper a lot, sway bar, airbags and sumos were a must but the Carli HD progressive leafs & coils, Fox Factory Race shocks/stabilizer and wider tires (which must include rim replacement) will help with overall stabilization. Throw in some lights and I am done, until something else pops in my head.

Oh yeah, and Borla Exhaust because factory exhaust sucks.
And a Winch, if Ford ever makes one available.

I live In WI. We aren’t the rock climbing capital of the world. I consider tires to perform in the snow first then off road. If necessary, I’ve found swapping a whole tire package is much easier than exchanging rims and tires.
Nitto Trail Grapplers are great in the snow and off-road.

A tire package is rims and tires.
The stupid issue with those stock wheels is that the duratracs are really your “best” option on those rims. They don’t support “safely” bigger tires because of rim width, so getting better tires than the duratracs almost inevitably requires you to get different rims. UNLESS you’re looking to downsize to the FX4 package tires.

Back