Help me decide.... which truck. Ford. Chevy. Ram.

Akwagon

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 Velocity Blue Tremor 7.3l
Ok. Sooo I need to order a truck by the end of the year. I’m not sure what to get. I’ll be towing 8k boat some. Along with other things and using the truck as the massive family get away limo And daily driver.

chevy crew cab 6.6 gas LTZ 2021 sport edition. Level 2” 285/75r18 tires (good road manners, Bose , 6 spd lacking)

ram mega Laramie 6.4l w 4.10. Loaded level 2” 285/75r18 tires. (Coil rear, Alpine stereo, plush interior)

Ford lariat crew cab. Let’s say tremor. Same tires and about same level. (Rougher ride, crap stereo, so so interior, 10 spd, 7.3l. Soda can body)

total price about $1k difference in each.

I know some of you aren’t all out die hard blue oval guys. What’s the pros and cons while you/friends shopping. Have/had??

Ok. Sooo I need to order a truck by the end of the year. I’m not sure what to get. I’ll be towing 8k boat some. Along with other things and using the truck as the massive family get away limo And daily driver.

chevy crew cab 6.6 gas LTZ 2021 sport edition. Level 2” 285/75r18 tires (good road manners, Bose , 6 spd lacking)

ram mega Laramie 6.4l w 4.10. Loaded level 2” 285/75r18 tires. (Coil rear, Alpine stereo, plush interior)

Ford lariat crew cab. Let’s say tremor. Same tires and about same level. (Rougher ride, crap stereo, so so interior, 10 spd, 7.3l. Soda can body)

I know some of you aren’t all out die hard blue oval guys. What’s the pros and cons while you/friends shopping. Have/had??
Chevy wouldn’t be on my list at all but Ram I like but you have to get maga cab to match fords cab definitely more room we off road and fords the only one with rear locker unless you go to a power wagon definitely can’t go wrong with either Ford or dodge I’ve got both in diesel and they have been good to me thats my two cents ?

Sounds like you want the Ram.

"Ford lariat crew cab. Let’s say tremor. Same tires and about same level. (Rougher ride, crap stereo, so so interior, 10 spd, 7.3l. Soda can body)"

Kind of arrogant to come on a Tremor forum and start talking shit.

^ I didn't take it as talking crap. I was stuck between the Ram Power Wagon, Ram 2500 w/ diesel, Ford F250 Tremor w/ diesel, and GMC 2500 AT4 myself. I think what I took by the "Lets say Tremor" comment was the lack of need for off-road capability. If you spend most of your time on pavement, you don't need a rear locker or front LSD. The infotainment system on the Ram is far superior right now. If you're fine with just a LSD in the rear go with the Ram 2500. If you don't tow very much too often the Power Wagon gives you better off-road performance. But if you tow and go off-road, the Tremor is where it's at.

^ I didn't take it as talking crap. I was stuck between the Ram Power Wagon, Ram 2500 w/ diesel, Ford F250 Tremor w/ diesel, and GMC 2500 AT4 myself. I think what I took by the "Lets say Tremor" comment was the lack of need for off-road capability. If you spend most of your time on pavement, you don't need a rear locker or front LSD. The infotainment system on the Ram is far superior right now. If you're fine with just a LSD in the rear go with the Ram 2500. If you don't tow very much too often the Power Wagon gives you better off-road performance. But if you tow and go off-road, the Tremor is where it's at.
Yup best all around do it all is tremor right know ??

Never considered myself a fan boy as I am coming from a Toyota Tundra but I had a 2017 F250 that I really liked and always thought they look good. I prefer the Ford to the other two as it is just more my style. I’m sure the Chevy and Ram are nice I have just never been into them, styling or interiors. Also, I have known a few people that have moved away from Ram due to many electrical issues, nothing major for the most part but just a nuisance. With what you have listed for the Ford it doesn’t seem like you’re a huge fan. To me if you’re about to spend this kind of money and don’t love it, find something else. For example if the ride is too rough it won’t get better unless you’re willing to spend money on suspension components. Carli seems to improve the ride quality from what I hear, but to me I think these trucks ride pretty decent for what they are. Everyone will have an opinion and good/bad experiences with any brand, you just need to decide what checks all the boxes best for yourself. For me the Ford checked them all and I have no second guesses, good luck in your search.

I'd never own a Chevy, but Dodge makes some nice trucks. The interior on my stepdads 2020 Ram 1500 is really nice, has a huge 12" screen.

Chevy wouldn’t be on my list at all but Ram I like but you have to get maga cab to match fords cab definitely more room we off road and fords the only one with rear locker unless you go to a power wagon definitely can’t go wrong with either Ford or dodge I’ve got both in diesel and they have been good to me thats my two cents ?
I agree 100%

The 7.3 with 10 speed will be by far the best performer of those three. The Ram body looks outdated and small back seat on crew cab so 3rd for me. The Chevy is close and has a large back seat but I think they went too far on the styling and it won't age well so 2nd. Ford has the big back seat and the best looks so 1st. I think the quality in all three is similar and slightly above average. There is nothing out there quite like a tremor that has a real off road package and can tow like a heavy duty truck, maybe an at4 but it has ifs, the power wagon has severe limitations towing. Good luck.

the Chevy had IFS in the on the heavy duty trucks and its nice for the ride its not the best for off-roading you want solid axles and Ram has nothing but issues they are the Pretties Gwagon you can buy .... but its a Truck not a Luxury car.... i wouldn't want to get the inside dirty .... and my father has nothing but issues with his Ram .... but I love the Cummins motor but if you don't get the right trans you will have issues .... and I like the power wagon but i need to tow my Jeeps and also recover them if they break on the trail and power wagon doesn't have diesel or towing capacity I am looking for .... and not just right now but for the next 10 years .... so I love the fords but i love jeeps for off-roading more but with the Tremor being good at everything .... not the best but does the job and I don't mind messing it up it is a TRUCK.... it works for me now that I have 8k miles on it, I love the truck. I am also military so, I am always carrying gear and always muddy and went with the carpet del as I hate cleaning the carpets in my F150.

Honestly the Diesel POWER !!!!!!!! its amazing, i don't think I can go back to my F150 full time ... it has the 5.0 v8 but it is slow to a 8k lbs F350 with the 6.7 diesel .... also diesel has been cheaper here in MD for a while now.... but i have to hold my breath as everything is about to go up in price.

I used to drive a Chevy 2500 with the 6.0 gasser at work. Its primary function was to make a lot of noise. Secondary to that, it moved the truck around a little. When the 6.6 came out and it was similar, and stuck to the same old transmission, I looked the other way. Ford's new 7.3 and 10-speed sealed the deal for me.

The Ram trucks are definitely a tempting option when they are new but based on my experience with FCA they won't last long at all.

Not into all the tech and whatnot, don't really care for screens and shit I have to use fingers to touch and hopefully I touched right. Super annoying imho, plus over time screens like computers slow down, usually. My wife's Volvo S90 is not instantaneous like it use to be, the touch screen. It's cool when it's new, shitty when it breaks or doesn't operate like it used too. The Ford Tremor is everything I'll ever need and then some. Like a Ferrari 599 GTO, I'll likely never get to the limits of the truck, other than speeding.

I never considered the Ram (was never a fan of the fit finish or quality) but I’ve heard they’ve gotten a lot better. I looked at the 3500 GMC AT4 before the Tremor 350 lariat diesel I ended up with. The AT4 felt like a wannabe factory off-road capable truck (I feel like they just wanted it to look aggressive muscular and capable only skin deep). The Tremor to me was the real deal, really purpose build. To me the stereo also sounded better that the Bose in the AT4. The suspension on AT4 felt more supple and compliant but I am in NO way disappointed with my 6.7. The Tremors Diesel feels more powerful and less sluggish to me than the Duramax and my family really appreciated the moonroof on the Ford. I really think the multifunction tailgate is a cool touch on the AT4 but was not enough to push me into the GMC. I also like the locker in the Ford better and the off-road tech in the Ford better. With respect to both vehicles they both are fantastic but for me the Ford won out. Hope this helps

I have all three brands. I love the Cummins but that is the only thing that lasts a long time on the FCA products. They ( all FCA) have quality control issues with the paint. The Transmissions remain a problem as does the corrosion. The Ram has great styling and the dealer network around here is good.

I traded out of a 3500 LTZ crew cab Chevy Silverado. It was a nice truck did every thing I needed. Smooth and the power of the Dmax was enough to get the job done. Very nice ride. Fit and finish was good, paint was good. I just kinda got bored with it. so I went out and got the Tremor.

The Tremor is 10x times better off road than the Chevy. It has acceleration, seems to handle a bit better, not sure on the braking between them both are good, ( unlike my Ram trucks that eat up rotors ). I love the 10 speed and the aluminum body another huge reason for Ford. The Ford paint is good. I always have my vehicles ceramic coated and the color correction on the Chevy and Fords is much less than the FCA products. Not as good as the German cars we have they have far superior paint than Ford or GM.

The ride on my F350 6.7 Tremor is almost as good as the Silverado, It seems like the suspension moves more but its not a harsh ride. Towing is far better, the power and the 10 speed make it a breeze. I pull a very heavy skid loader or a 14,000lb 5th wheel. The Ford handles it at times can't tell you are towing, the Chevy did struggle a bit but was manageable.

Really comes down to choice. If you live in a part of the country that does not use corrosive ice melting materials in the winter the Ram would go back into my candidates otherwise for me here in SE Wisconsin there is NO WAY I would consider it.
Hope this helps and like others its just my .02 cents worth.

imho if gas go Ford 7.3 if diesel id go RAM Cummins... interior RAM hands down though...

I assume you are looking 250/2500 class. I did drive all 3 before deciding on the Ford, not brand loyal.

I drove a 2020 AT4 2500 6.6, the likes on the GM was the heads up display and the camera system, dislike was the harshest ride of the bunch and G80 style locker. Was very shocked at the ride but was not good comparing to the other HD options or even my 05 2500 Suburban. The best way to describe it was stiff with harsh jolts especially on parking lot entrances or rough gravel roads. Could really feel every expansion joint in the paved roads and even worse on gravel. Wife vetoed it right off the bat due to the poor ride so didn’t look any further at GM.

Ram seems to have the most advanced looking interior and in my opinion really steped up their initial quality game. I am still a little cautious on ultimate longevity since have not had the greates results with my prior Chrysler products but am optimistic that longevity will improve over the past Chrysler products I have owned. The Power Wagon hands down best ride (note Power Wagon only)and most off-road goodies from the factory. Unfortunately payload and towing capacity not high enough for my application. Tried the non Power Wagon Ram and the ride was not near as good as the Power Wagon but better than GM.

Ford with the Tremor offered a nice level of off-road goodies without sacrifice of payload. The 7.3L was the a huge plus for me on the Ford. Some other deciding factors over Ram was extra box length on the Ford allowing a ATV to fit with tailgate closed. This is where I really differ from your observation on Ford ride, with the Tremor package I thought ride was comparable to the regular Ram 2500 without the air suspension. This may not matter for your case but worth nothing since the F250 Tremor is using the same suspension as the F350 Tremor it allowed me to step up to F350 payload without effecting ride.

Ultimately you need to get what is going to fit your application best. Drive as many as you can and get what is going to fit you the best. Road conditions and driving styles are going to differ from area to area so what rides better in my opinion for semi rural area with a good mix of maintained gravel, 2 track trails, and asphalt application may not be comparable to your application.

Last edited:
If you don't have need the higher truck height, suspension and taller tires and you will mainly be on pavement then I would look at the GMC Sierra 3500 SRW Denali.

Thanks guys for all the replies. To be clear. Gas motor. No diesel. No power wagon because it has 1/2 ton truck payload and towing. I need more.
I live in Alaska. No serious off reading. But things get real around here sometimes. No use of road salts.
I had a 2014 super duty xlt 6.2. It started having lots of little gremlins after 30k. I used to always make fun of fca trucks. But yea, ram rides and loook nice. Very concerned of the gremlins on a ram. So cold feet there.
the selectable rear locker, aluminum body, roomy bed and interior. 7.3 w 10 spd and tremor package all make me excited about the Ford. Until I think of my 2014...... right at 30k stereo went out, rear axle seal went, door lock pin thing went, etc.
been spoiled with my titan pro 4x with factory 3” icon lift. for 2 years now. yes one front diff blowup issue at 3k towing wife’s wrx outa snowy ditch. But other wise gas and go. Just need more room and capability Now. additional kid, bought a boat, etc.
10 years ago I would of been insta hard on over even the idea of owning a tremor.
Maybe because I’m getting old is why the ram is even on my list.
i sooooo want to love the Chevy. But that interior and 6spd....

If you don't have need the higher truck height, suspension and taller tires and you will mainly be on pavement then I would look at the GMC Sierra 3500 SRW Denali.
I am surprised at all the smooth ride comments with the GM. Every current generation HD I have driven has felt like a step backwards on the traditional GM ride but haven’t tried a Denali yet. Handling on road is better than the solid axle options but just pretty rough ride in my opinion.

Back