Hello

Pompey

Tremor Addict
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2018 Subaru Outback
Current Ride #2
1999 Subaru WRX Club Spec Evo 3
I am looking at maybe getting a Platinum Tremor 6.7. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve had to learn from scratch about the F250/350’s. Places like this have been most informative-I’ve read numerous threads with interest. The cost of these things here in Australia are astronomical. It costs close to $180,000 on road for a new Platinum Tremor, but to tow a big load there’s not much in the way of choice.

Things such as payload, GVM, GCM etc are important because here the laws vary between states and it looks like I will have to get a truck license. I plan to tow an Offroad caravan around the country and doing a lot of bush camping. I’ve already done a bit if you see the attached photo (which is a bit out of date, but you get the idea).

Anyway, that’s me, so I’ll just sit back and read and hopefully learn.

Cheers

Attachments

• 9849E83F-8733-448D-A255-77239036346B.jpeg
    9849E83F-8733-448D-A255-77239036346B.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 47
Welcome to the forum. I’m sure you can get the answers to just about anything you can come up with from the guys on this site. My sister and brother in law just moved back to Arizona from Melbourne a little less than a year ago. They were there for almost 10 years (had my niece and nephew while there). They took 6 months before returning to the US to do “the loop” or whatever you Aussies call it when you camp your way around the outer edge of the continent. I thought 85k was bad in the US. 180k is just plain stupid! Good luck with your search and feel free to ask away. Someone here will have an answer.

Thanks.

They call it the lap. Well, I do anyway! However, my preference is for the centre although I love other areas too. I really love deserts, but definitely not in summer though. I just spent a few weeks away which took me from the Great Dividing Range, across Riverland areas, out to the outback where I spent some time on a fantastic 70,000 acre sheep and cattle station, then headed back east to the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, back inland a little then home.

Wow, that's expensive!

Welcome to the forum @Pompey - ? It sure is neat having people from all over the world join the Tremor community! Good luck on your search, don't hesitate to post any questions.

Welcome to the forum @Pompey - ? It sure is neat having people from all over the world join the Tremor community! Good luck on your search, don't hesitate to post any questions.
Thanks. These vehicles are very rare here. While you see the Ram 1500 around, and the odd Ram 2500, I’m struggling to remember if I’ve even seen a current series F250/350, let alone an F450.

Back in the 1980’s we got the Broncos imported in by Ford, as well as the F100 and F150 which were used by the police and ambulance. They came with either the 4.1 litre crossflow 6 cylinder, 351 Cleveland V8 or the 302 Windsor V8. For a while there I was very keen on a 351 Bronco. Apparently in the early naughties they brought in some F250s out of Brazil, but they must not have brought too many in because you didn’t see many. I just assumed they were brought in privately and converted in much the same way they are now.

I never got the Bronco. I was disappointed to see they rusted badly and then they were discontinued after only few years. None of what followed did anything for me. Outdated and cheap looking interiors and poor build quality made it impossible to justify spending the huge money these things cost here.

The current cars look far superior, far more modern it’s hard to believe they are related in any way to what they used to be. The Tremor definitely has appeal and the more I investigate these cars the more positive my thoughts on them become

So how would you purchase? Buy in the states and ship as 'used'? Are the Super Duties made in right hand drive? A right hand Tremor would be pretty cool.......

There are government approved low volume importers who import them new rom Canada, convert them and certify them. I believe they have their own, approved, compliance plates which states the vehicles comply with the relevant Australian Design Rules (ADR’s) including gvm, gcm, etc.

They import them from Canada because their cars are set up for metric measurements from speedos to trip computers, etc. more than the ones they could get in the US. They strip the interior, and some of the exterior, remanufacture the dashboard and other interior bits. They make or source their own steering box casing and put all the existing internal bits in it, then attach it to a reinforced chassis rail with added crush tubes. Bits like power steering hoses would be replaced to suit, wiper arms converted, the list goes on. Some things can’t be done, like the labelling of the climate control although the functionality is converted. Other things like the indicator stalk will remain on the left, as will the bonnet release, which is annoying but even factory RHD European cars are like that.

There are government approved low volume importers who import them new rom Canada, convert them and certify them. I believe they have their own, approved, compliance plates which states the vehicles comply with the relevant Australian Design Rules (ADR’s) including gvm, gcm, etc.

They import them from Canada because their cars are set up for metric measurements from speedos to trip computers, etc. more than the ones they could get in the US. They strip the interior, and some of the exterior, remanufacture the dashboard and other interior bits. They make or source their own steering box casing and put all the existing internal bits in it, then attach it to a reinforced chassis rail with added crush tubes. Bits like power steering hoses would be replaced to suit, wiper arms converted, the list goes on. Some things can’t be done, like the labelling of the climate control although the functionality is converted. Other things like the indicator stalk will remain on the left, as will the bonnet release, which is annoying but even factory RHD European cars are like that.
It’s starting to make more sense as to why it costs so much over there. Literally “ship” a truck halfway around the world, transport it to the remod shop, change over everything and customize whatever is needed. Then deliver to the customer. Hell, 180k is starting to sound like a bargain! ?

Pompey, that sounds brutal for the conversion. Is there anything in Australia that is similar??

Ram 1500 and 2500 is the closest, but even that is converted locally to RHD. They do get factory warranty though. Thing is, my Ranger can carry a significantly heavier payload than the 2500! .

Apart from the Ram, you’ve got the Iveco Daily which would be far better off road than the Ford but I don’t trust their reliabilit.y. Nor do they have the torque for effortless towing of heavier loads.

I think in time Australia will swing more to the US for heavy towing. The problem though is are the Americans willing to engineer their cars for a RHD? GM is pulling out of all RHD markets except for Corvette and maybe one or 2 others. Ford are being utter bastards here because they lobbied Ford US not to give the Australian low volume importers a better price, forcing them to pay normal prices even though Ford Australia doesn’t bring them in themselves.

Ram 1500 and 2500 is the closest, but even that is converted locally to RHD. They do get factory warranty though. Thing is, my Ranger can carry a significantly heavier payload than the 2500! .

Apart from the Ram, you’ve got the Iveco Daily which would be far better off road than the Ford but I don’t trust their reliabilit.y. Nor do they have the torque for effortless towing of heavier loads.

I think in time Australia will swing more to the US for heavy towing. The problem though is are the Americans willing to engineer their cars for a RHD? GM is pulling out of all RHD markets except for Corvette and maybe one or 2 others. Ford are being utter bastards here because they lobbied Ford US not to give the Australian low volume importers a better price, forcing them to pay normal prices even though Ford Australia doesn’t bring them in themselves.
Simple solution, get the Tremor and stick with LHD. You'll be the envy of your mates and the women will chase you down the street.

Have you ever tried to overtake a road train on a single lane road?

I did think of doing that but I think only cars over a certain age are allowed to be registered in LHD. Besides, things like lights and seat belts I think need to be changed too as they may not comply with our ADRs

I am due to get a F 250 Tremor in November and I'm based in Noosa. Originally hailing from the US, paying upwards of $200k for a truck breaks my heart but to tow an off road caravan across this country, you surely have to pay to play! I'll post some photos when it arrives on our sunny soil.

I am due to get a F 250 Tremor in November and I'm based in Noosa. Originally hailing from the US, paying upwards of $200k for a truck breaks my heart but to tow an off road caravan across this country, you surely have to pay to play! I'll post some photos when it arrives on our sunny soil.
Are you talking AUD $200k or USA $200k?

Took one for a test drive today. I was impressed with how much room there was, how quiet and refined it was and how fast it was. It wasn’t a Tremor, it was a Lariat 2019 model. Steering was vague, and the column mounted gear lever was pretty poor. Is this 1960 or 2020? Overall I’m impressed, my biggest concern is the

Back