Heavy Tremor expected

RDtrippin

Tremor Buff
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 Platinum Tremor 6.7
I sat down with my local dealer on 8/24 to order a new F250, looks like it’s in the build stage and a window sticker has been created. Fingers crossed for it to hit the lot in the next few weeks. I’m posting in hope of information and advice on tire and wheel options. I plan to tow a 5th wheel RV, probably somewhere around 14,000-15,000 pounds all in, so tire tow ratings are a factor. I like the stance of the truck with the tremor option, it’s just needs a little something more, but not to much. I’m open to new rim/tire or factory rim with a little larger tire options, spacers? I really don’t want to play with the suspension, which is one of the primary reasons that I opted the tremor package. Truck is a 2022 Platinum crew cab, powerstroke, tremor in carbonized gray, loaded, including the Warren winch option. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I would wait until it shows up before you start spending money on suspension and wheels. I was shocked at the size of the first tremor I saw. It made my F-150 on 35's look like a Tacoma. The rendering on Ford's website doesn't do it justice - it doesn't need anything more, IMO.

I sat down with my local dealer on 8/24 to order a new F250, looks like it’s in the build stage and a window sticker has been created. Fingers crossed for it to hit the lot in the next few weeks. I’m posting in hope of information and advice on tire and wheel options. I plan to tow a 5th wheel RV, probably somewhere around 14,000-15,000 pounds all in, so tire tow ratings are a factor. I like the stance of the truck with the tremor option, it’s just needs a little something more, but not to much. I’m open to new rim/tire or factory rim with a little larger tire options, spacers? I really don’t want to play with the suspension, which is one of the primary reasons that I opted the tremor package. Truck is a 2022 Platinum crew cab, powerstroke, tremor in carbonized gray, loaded, including the Warren winch option. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
Sounds fun! For what it’s worth, I would wait until you have the truck and hit a CAT scale to check your weights with the trailer before buying anything extra. I imagine that with a trailer that size on a loaded 250 you’ll hit your max payload much faster than you realize.

Sounds fun! For what it’s worth, I would wait until you have the truck and hit a CAT scale to check your weights with the trailer before buying anything extra. I imagine that with a trailer that size on a loaded 250 you’ll hit your max payload much faster than you realize.
Big +1 to this. If it’s 14,000-15,000 pounds, 20% pin weight puts you at 2800-3000 pounds of pin weight alone. Then add in the hitch and people and you’re likely pushing 4000 pounds of payload. For context, a lightly optioned 350 Tremor has around 4200 pounds of payload (that’s the highest I’ve seen reported here on the forum). Heavily optioned 350 (e.g. my truck) has 3600 pounds of payload.

Reminder that going over GVWR won’t immediately make you eligible for a ticket, but could cause liability or insurance issues in the case of an accident if it can be shown you were overweight.

Like they said, pay attention to payload. You're probably going to be over rated, possibly significantly, with a 250 diesel and a 14-15k 5th wheel.

Big +1 to this. If it’s 14,000-15,000 pounds, 20% pin weight puts you at 2800-3000 pounds of pin weight alone. Then add in the hitch and people and you’re likely pushing 4000 pounds of payload. For context, a lightly optioned 350 Tremor has around 4200 pounds of payload (that’s the highest I’ve seen reported here on the forum). Heavily optioned 350 (e.g. my truck) has 3600 pounds of payload.

Reminder that going over GVWR won’t immediately make you eligible for a ticket, but could cause liability or insurance issues in the case of an accident if it can be shown you were overweight.

Yep. And since the OP is getting an F-250, not a F-350..the numbers are going to be even more dicey. The 2022 Towing guide shows that an F-250 Tremor 6.7L's overall payload of being right at 3000lbs best case (least options possible). Split the difference between the max versus "you" for giggles and grins, then we subtract 300 pounds putting the "legal" limit right around 2700 pounds. That's everything...pin weight, passengers, etc. OP will need to be very mindful on how the trailer is loaded and the weight distribution changes caused by full tanks vs empty tanks etc to ensure the truck is not overloaded from a sticker perspective while also, it seems, traveling with a nearly empty truck while towing.

(to nobody in particular..just pontificating) If the OP can get the pin weight to be 15% versus 20% through careful loadmaster trickery...should be fine but that's a lot easier to do with a flatbed trailer pulling heavy equipment than an RV where most of the stuff is pretty much fixed in place. If this RV is a toyhauler..and part of that 14k-15k is the toy....there's potentially an opportunity to tinker with weight distribution in a pretty meaningful way.

A loaded platinum Tremor on an F250 is going to kill payload, especially if you have the 80 pound moonroof. All the options indicvidually add up to quite a bit of weight. For example, the tailgate step alone is 35 pounds! Only way to get a tremor w/out the step is to do a Lariat value Tremor.
Every little bit helps. Max payload on a tremor would be obtained with a F350 Lariat base tremor with 7.3

Max payload on a tremor would be obtained with a F350 Lariat base tremor with 7.3

Maybe in some cases, but on the F-250 the GVWR rating is bumped for the 6.7L to account for the heavier engine so the payload ratings are pretty close from an apples-to-apples according to the towing guide. Within like 200 pounds (6.7L actually is higher).

On the F-350..yeah no contest...7.3L has significantly (~500lbs apples to apples) more payload since the GVWR is pretty much the same between the 2 engines.

Edit: I re-read your comment...I read "F250" in there. Yes..you are correct (which I basically re-stated in my second paragraph)...max payload to be had with F350 and 7.3L. I read your comment (with the F250 mentally inserted) to be suggesting that the 7.3L was preferable for payload versus 6.7L in a F250. Reading comprehension ftw LOL.

Yep. And since the OP is getting an F-250, not a F-350..the numbers are going to be even more dicey. The 2022 Towing guide shows that an F-250 Tremor 6.7L's overall payload of being right at 3000lbs best case (least options possible). Split the difference between the max versus "you" for giggles and grins, then we subtract 300 pounds putting the "legal" limit right around 2700 pounds. That's everything...pin weight, passengers, etc. OP will need to be very mindful on how the trailer is loaded and the weight distribution changes caused by full tanks vs empty tanks etc to ensure the truck is not overloaded from a sticker perspective while also, it seems, traveling with a nearly empty truck while towing.

(to nobody in particular..just pontificating) If the OP can get the pin weight to be 15% versus 20% through careful loadmaster trickery...should be fine but that's a lot easier to do with a flatbed trailer pulling heavy equipment than an RV where most of the stuff is pretty much fixed in place. If this RV is a toyhauler..and part of that 14k-15k is the toy....there's potentially an opportunity to tinker with weight distribution in a pretty meaningful way.
Bang on with the fact it’s a 250. I wasn’t super clear in my post, but my goal was indeed to contrast that a 350’s sticker would barely cover the payload, don’t mind a 250.

A loaded platinum Tremor on an F250 is going to kill payload, especially if you have the 80 pound moonroof. All the options indicvidually add up to quite a bit of weight. For example, the tailgate step alone is 35 pounds! Only way to get a tremor w/out the step is to do a Lariat value Tremor.
Every little bit helps. Max payload on a tremor would be obtained with a F350 Lariat base tremor with 7.3
Oh good call that it’s a Platinum! My truck is a loaded up Lariat, so payload could potentially be lower with the Platinum in a 350, don’t mind a 250.

I agree, the truck in stock form is pretty nice, but it needs a little more something, like maybe beefier hips. As mentioned, no plans on suspend mods. Oh, and I did actually look at and drive a 250 tremor before spending 90G.

Good stuff to consider, thank you!

I'm with what others have said - with a trailer that heavy you should probably be going with the F350 for compliance reasons.
Hope to be ok, I was being liberal with 14-15k all in. Realistically, will likely be under 14 and the truck has the increased towing capacity (350 rear springs). Thanks for the feedback.

Back