Having trouble towing.

Budman3336

Tremor Newbie
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Tremor 6.7
Just got my Tremor in last week after waiting 10 weeks for it. Bought it for the aggressive look and for towing. Love the look but towing has me concerned. Its been windy here in Florida for a couple of days, but my Tremor has been all over the road when I've been towing my camper that only wieghs 4000lbs. Is it supposed to sway all over the road or do I have an issue with my Tremor? Need 411 on this.

Just got my Tremor in last week after waiting 10 weeks for it. Bought it for the aggressive look and for towing. Love the look but towing has me concerned. Its been windy here in Florida for a couple of days, but my Tremor has been all over the road when I've been towing my camper that only wieghs 4000lbs. Is it supposed to sway all over the road or do I have an issue with my Tremor? Need 411 on this.
Its the skinny Duratrac tires......they get better after 1500 miles...but many of us have opted for wider tires.....I dumped mine at 6500 miles

Does it track well when not towing? Maybe you have an issue but it could be the new tires. Also make sure your camper is loaded properly and has at least 10% tongue weight, although 4k is pretty light ...campers catch alot of wind and can blow you around a bit with a bumper pull setup. Are you using sway bars with the hitch?

Are you using a weight distribution high with built in anti-sway?

I'm using a class 5 b w 5inch drop hitch. The height of the truck makes it that u need a drop hitch. But even with out towing on a windy day the ass of the truck is all over the road. Is anyone else going through this?

Day I drove mine home, felt the same thing...lots of discussion about this being the new tires needing to "break in"...after a 1000 miles, mine is straight and true...

Listen to @davidb1841. If your truck is new and you have low miles on it, allow the Duratracs to wear in with about 1000 to 2000 miles before making any major changes. They tend to wander a bit when new and unladen. Towing seems to make them feel worse.

Agree with breaking in the Duratrac's. The owners manual stipulates 1K miles before towing so that helps with the tire break in. I tow a 38' 11k lb bumper pull and my first tow was a real adventure. I called the trailer dealer from the road on my way home and the response was basically "you bought a 38' trailer, what did you expect?"
I lowered PSI in rear ties to 70, corrected the tounge weight, corrected the WDH adjustment and it tows great now. You may have to fiddle with it to get it right - good luck..

Agree with breaking in the Duratrac's. The owners manual stipulates 1K miles before towing so that helps with the tire break in. I tow a 38' 11k lb bumper pull and my first tow was a real adventure. I called the trailer dealer from the road on my way home and the response was basically "you bought a 38' trailer, what did you expect?"
I lowered PSI in rear ties to 70, corrected the tounge weight, corrected the WDH adjustment and it tows great now. You may have to fiddle with it to get it right - good luck..
THIS 100%

Rear tire pressure would be first thing to look at. Next would be the lack of a rear axle stabilizer, that could really effect things.

I'm using a class 5 b w 5inch drop hitch. The height of the truck makes it that u need a drop hitch. But even with out towing on a windy day the ass of the truck is all over the road. Is anyone else going through this?

No, give those tires a chance to break in. I have a 27ft airstream (~6500 pounds) and it tows like a dream.

I have a Fury 2910 Toy Hauler I tow with my 350 Diesel. Loaded is 10K. I had no issues one I got my WDH and weight-adjusted. Like others have stated. Make sure you hitch hight is good/ WDH is set up properly. Then check you load. Make sure you have enough tongue weight.

I loaded my Defender XMR in the back of my toy hauler and no other real weight (I don't have a normal trailer) and it felt slppy. I filled my water tank and it balanced out my load. It was good to go.

Towed it Labor day weekend NY to Maine no issues doing 70-85 mph. My tires were in 70s. how I got them from dealer.

Towed this load which was 16k lbs with 2k miles on the tires it was good but also have 60psi all the way around ... But never had issues with sway of truck or trailer all the way to 90 mph on the highway but onces I did colorado because the fucking road suck ass ... I had to keep it below 60 mph .. or the sway was so bad that you couldn't control it ... But the tires sucks the first 1000 miles and with the rears at 80 psi it was too much 60 psi when towing was great ...

Attachments

• 20200911_130910.jpg
    20200911_130910.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 20200914_145150.jpg
    20200914_145150.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 110
Towed this load which was 16k lbs with 2k miles on the tires it was good but also have 60psi all the way around ... But never had issues with sway of truck or trailer all the way to 90 mph on the highway but onces I did colorado because the fucking road suck ass ... I had to keep it below 60 mph .. or the sway was so bad that you couldn't control it ... But the tires sucks the first 1000 miles and with the rears at 80 psi it was too much 60 psi when towing was great ...

Your truck looks like it is only squatting a little. The scale shows the weight of the Jeep and Trailer at 6400 lbs, which is relatively light for Super Duty. (I have towed more than that with my Gen 2 Raptor) When I first read your post, I thought the trailer was 16K lbs on its own!

Your truck looks like it is only squatting a little. The scale shows the weight of the Jeep and Trailer at 6400 lbs, which is relatively light for Super Duty. (I have towed more than that with my Gen 2 Raptor) When I first read your post, I thought the trailer was 16K lbs on its own!
Hahaha yea my bad ... But yea the plan was to take 2 Jeeps to Uath but the my other jeep is having electrical issues so only took the one and the tremor off road in Uath

No troubles here. As mentioned before the tires will get better.
Do you have adaptive steering option? It took me a while to get used to it, maybe two hours on the road to get used to the feel.

I have towed at 22k with my truck and no issues at all...my truck wandered for about the first 600 miles on it, settled down at the 1k mark...The anti sway system on the ford really works well, even better when you add the dimensions to the towing menu, every tag trailer and 5th wheel trailer that gets hooked to my truck has been entered so the cross path and braking systems are right. A 4k trailer is really nothing for these trucks, I would check tire pressures and make sure they are worn in...

I agree with everyone, the tires get better as time goes on. But there is still some wander. I have about 3000 miles on the truck and I enjoy driving my truck everyday but there is still slight wander on the highway. The heaviest I have towed so far is 8,000 and it tows like a dream. However, all I have to compare to is my old 2006 250 that I got rid of in 2014. With the diesel tremor I feel like I can accelerate faster than most cars while towing 4000 pounds and the trailer brake controls and exhaust breaks are amazing.

I have 3000 miles on mine about 2500 of that is towing. Bumper pull, gooseneck, and fifth wheel. The truck wonders all the time it handles like a truck with a lift and 35's. I was hoping that a factory lift would be better but I guess not. Even empty in the wind in Southern Alberta were it is windy every day it blows the truck around. You should try driving it on ice in a snow storm in 4x4 with that front locker pulling you around, good lord what a work out!!!

Why do you think it's the truck? I just towed a similar weight trailer 3k miles sometimes at 80 mph with zero sway. Did you have enough tongue weight?

Back