hauling two dirt bikes - alternatives to ratchet straps on the handlebars?

knaffie

Tremoraholic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F350
I regularly haul two KTMs in my truck. It's more difficult than it should be to strap them both down. The outside straps are straight forward/down, giving very little lateral support. One strap always has to go through the spokes of the other bike to get to the hook in the corner. The boxlink hooks are not helpful at all.

I'm looking for something better / easier / faster. I'm not opposed to drilling a few holes in the bed or fabricating some sort of bolt-in tube with tie down hooks on it. I don't want the whole big wheel holder things that bolt in the bed. Maybe a strap that goes over the front tire? Any suggestions from people that have figured something better out?

I have used Canyon Dancer Bar Harnesses for my two motorcycles in the back of small trailer. I did not try them in the back of my truck, but I do not see any reason why they would not work.

Canyon Dancer

Turn the handlebars and go to the actual metal hook at the front of the bed vs. the box link. The straps go over the front tires. Hauling like this, they are locked SOLID.
1761CA72-F3E8-4B1D-AFC7-8B5CFBB9A514.jpeg

Turn the handlebars and go to the actual metal hook at the front of the bed vs. the box link. The straps go over the front tires. Hauling like this, they are locked SOLID.
View attachment 35381

That looks like a solid improvement over what I'm doing. Thanks for the picture.

That looks like a solid improvement over what I'm doing. Thanks for the picture.
Best part, it’s FREE! I do suggest using the “jerk” or cam straps vs ratchet straps. One can really put some tension on a ratchet strap and destroy forks and handlebars easily.

Have you considered something like this? Seem like a good idea, I have thought about it but I have only one bike so straps still work fine for me.

I do suggest using the “jerk” or cam straps vs ratchet straps
Agree. I found the cam straps provide more than enough tension for securing the load. Haven't had a bike in a few years and I only had one in the bed at the time. When I hauled two bikes I used a trailer which had tie down eyes in the floor. I still retained the cam straps and they worked without issue.

If you want to go all out, I used these in my F150 with the 5.5ft bed. Let me put two dirt bikes in the bed and put the tailgate up. It was perfect for hauling the camper, before I upgraded to a toy hauler. Still used straps though.

4EF9EFAF-EE4B-4E8B-BD45-D8D392A86C3A.jpeg

+1 for canyon dancer. I use them for street bikes, as well.

Never seen the canyon dancer setup until this thread. For dirt bikes with full wrap hand guards one wouldn’t be able to use it as it can’t slip over the end of the bars. Now full wraps stir as many feelings as asking what kind of oil and tire type to use on dirt bikes so I’ll drop it there.

Now full wraps stir as many feelings as asking what kind of oil and tire type to use on dirt bikes so I’ll drop it there

Ha, ha... very true... I was a full wrap Enduro Engineering guy...

If you want to go all out, I used these in my F150 with the 5.5ft bed. Let me put two dirt bikes in the bed and put the tailgate up. It was perfect for hauling the camper, before I upgraded to a toy hauler. Still used straps though.

View attachment 35414
this is awesome! I need these, any link to them?

this is awesome! I need these, any link to them?
Hahaha, I’m actually selling mine since I can fit my bikes in the toy hauler and in the back of my truck for day trips.

They are called Dirt Bike Pedestal and you have to look up on Facebook. Made in Canada and about $580 shipped new.

shoot me a DM and I’ll sell you mine. Used them for two seasons.

Back