Has anyone swapped their 3" F350 Receiver for a 2" or 2.5"?

NickinColorado

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
'22 F350 Lariat on order
Current Ride #2
'20 Husky TE300i
First Responder
Career Firefighter
Picking up my camper next month and plan on adding an Equalizer WDH. I'm not real excited about running an adapter. The WDH I want to run is rated to 14k and has a 2" shank. Seems like it would be more cost effective to buy a 2" hitch. Etrailer has an option for $250. Has anyone done this? I will never need a 3" receiver, I bought the truck for the payload.

Picking up my camper next month and plan on adding an Equalizer WDH. I'm not real excited about running an adapter. The WDH I want to run is rated to 14k and has a 2" shank. Seems like it would be more cost effective to buy a 2" hitch. Etrailer has an option for $250. Has anyone done this? I will never need a 3" receiver, I bought the truck for the payload.
I might sell my 2”, it’s a b&w triball 5” drop brand new never used

I would use the factory 3 inch with 2 reducers, you will have no trouble at all
Seems like a pain in the ass and it’s loud, has play in it, and could cause wear. Everything I own would require multiple adapters.

If you really want to run a WDH why not just get one with a 3" shank? they're available
Who makes one other than Andersen? The RV dealer said they’ve had a lot of problems with them and highly recommended anything but them. I need one for a 10k gross weight trailer with a tongue weight of 1300-1500lb.

Who makes one other than Andersen? The RV dealer said they’ve had a lot of problems with them and highly recommended anything but them. I need one for a 10k gross weight trailer with a tongue weight of 1300-1500lb.
Gen Y does I think. With that trailer and tongue weight you wouldn't really need a WDH

Seems like a pain in the ass and it’s loud, has play in it, and could cause wear. Everything I own would require multiple adapters.

Add an anti-rattle clamp.

Going down to a 2" seems unnecessarily limiting. As many things you may want to tow at some point will require 2.5" plus. You're right nothing will ever require a 3" as a 2.5" is rated in excess of the trucks towing capacity. Since the 3" receiver has zero utility, you'll have no regrets about swapping it out should that be your preference.

Same here

so I broke down and got a nice 3" I guess if I can spend what I did on the truck in the first place I can spend a few hundo for a nice receiver

Weigh Safe 3" shank for the win:

Same here

so I broke down and got a nice 3" I guess if I can spend what I did on the truck in the first place I can spend a few hundo for a nice receiver
What did you buy? Most of the 3” options I’ve found are way over capacity

Weigh Safe 3" shank for the win:

Wonder if this shank will work with this?

Back