modified

Admin
Staff member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 Diesel Tremor
Current Ride #2
2021 Bronco
To make it a little easier to hook up the safety chains from the trailer I was planning on ordering hammerlocks or the d-ring shackles. There's already a good discussion on the hammerlocks: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/need-help-issues-with-these-towing-hammerlocks.552/

However, any major disadvantage to using something like this?

or even something like this:

I like that you can take them off easily when not in use.

Concerning those shackles... here's an answer to a question for it on Amazon. Are they made in the US: From my research when I purchased these the only American hands these touch are yours from unpackaging them, unless there’s an American in the Chinese plant that’s in China. Crosby, Columbus McKinnon d shackles are made in America

I use ones similar to those. Zero problems.

Came from tsc. Appear to be stainless.

Oooh. One caveat. Those pin screws can come out. Remove when not in use

the saftey chain clips/hooks on one of my trailers do not fit in the slots of the reciever or the d-rings (3/4" diameter).

I think the only clear cut option that's rated to hold the weight are the hammerlocks. Problem is they are very expensive for what they are, I tried 3/4 shackles and my hooks wont snap in so about to drop 60-70 bucks for a couple of hammerlocks. What in the world was ford thinking with this safety chain eye design...

I have the hammerlocks they are bitch to put on but they aren't going anywhere... And no one can take them

Attachments

• 20200819_151923.jpg
    20200819_151923.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 1,198
I just stumbled on a $25 option for a pair of the kuploks, just installed and they work perfect. A 6" C clamp had them installed in 30 sec :)

the saftey chain clips/hooks on one of my trailers do not fit in the slots of the reciever or the d-rings (3/4" diameter).

Problem solved

hammerlocks.jpg

I did bend the handle on the 6" C-clamp. Tip: Loosen the clamp after the front of the pin gets through the coupler to the red part.

Picked up some nice stainless D-rings from a local store. WLL is well beyond my trailer and I promise these D-Rings will out hold the chains that came on toy hauler. Prove me wrong, I’m sure these stainless rings are much stronger.

I still don't understand why you guys are messing around with such an important safety feature. Most hooks work just fine. If yours don't, spend the money on new hooks instead of these other band aids. Watch this video.

How to use Ford safety chain attachment points
I have had no luck convincing the equipment rental business to change the safety chain hooks on their log splitter and stump grinder trailers the last two times I went in to rent them. My experience is that most safety chain hooks don't fit these superdutys. I guess I would rather make my truck universal instead of customizing 3 of my 4 trailers that have worked fine on other brands of trucks. All of this "messing around" got me 12,000 lb reciever attachment points with a 1/2" diameter (much better then the 3,300 lb 1/2" diameter chain links).

To make it a little easier to hook up the safety chains from the trailer I was planning on ordering hammerlocks or the d-ring shackles. There's already a good discussion on the hammerlocks: https://www.fordtremor.com/threads/need-help-issues-with-these-towing-hammerlocks.552/

However, any major disadvantage to using something like this?

or even something like this:

I like that you can take them off easily when not in use.
F28B9148-179C-40B7-BA66-86CDD7AD2A40.jpeg
Hammerlocks are great. 1/2”, WLL 5.3T each, American made, $40. Not all trailer safety chain hooks will work in the stock holes. No worries with these. 1/2” shackles only good for 2-3T

Curious for guys with the hammerlocks or d-rings... do they not rattle around on bumps?

Problem solved

View attachment 4717

I did bend the handle on the 6" C-clamp. Tip: Loosen the clamp after the front of the pin gets through the coupler to the red part.
That looks like a hitch from Bulletproof Hitches. I know they sell a 5/8“ shackle that fits at the bottom of their hitch to use with safety chains. Just an FYI, I had to use them one time in a pinch, they got the job done.

Attachments

• 7FA26606-9140-4876-9AE2-6A0B62BEA759.jpeg
    7FA26606-9140-4876-9AE2-6A0B62BEA759.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 226
Curious for guys with the hammerlocks or d-rings... do they not rattle around on bumps?

I didn't notice any extra noise. I take them off when I'm not towing though.

I have the hammerlocks they are bitch to put on but they aren't going anywhere... And no one can take them
Awesome hitch. I went with the same Gen Y but only a 6" drop (so 3 receiver bays not 4) and mine is in 2.5". Really kicking myself for not going with the 3" though. I hate using the reducer. What and where did you get your pin sleeve from to bring it down from 3/4" to 5/8" or did you drill out the stock reveiver?

Back