Gunslinging Patriot's Build Thread

I finally got her back from the detailer last night! :D I snapped a few pictures before it got dark out. I'll upload better ones once the sun comes out next week (we're supped to get 3" of rain Friday through Sunday).

Here's a list of everything that was done a lot of which is to finish Ford's Black Appearance Package:
  • Full PPF
  • Ceramic coat
  • Tinted the windows
    • 70% front
    • 15% front side windows
    • 50% rear side windows
    • does a very good job of matching front and read side windows
  • Black American Flag decal
  • Blacked out Ford ovals
  • Blacked out 6.7L Powerstroke badges
  • Black SuperDuty on the hood
  • Black inlay for the tailgate
  • Black SuperDuty on the glovebox
  • New Tremor decal relocated to front doors
  • Blacked out the tailgate handle
  • Blacked out the chrome strip on the AMP PRB
  • Black film over the door sill protectors
  • Black powder coat the tailpipe
Pics look great and cool looking Tremor. Been looking at full PPF but got quoted 8K here in Austin area.

Pics look great and cool looking Tremor. Been looking at full PPF but got quoted 8K here in Austin area.
The shop that was the highest recommendation in my area charged me $8,500 but he also does a ceramic coat when he does full PPF.

Unfortunately I backtracked a little. Thursday I took her in for her follow-up appointment at the detailer for the PPF (quality control and courtesy wash). The American Flag decal was not adhering properly and needed to be removed. The detailer told me when I picked it up that it was a high probability and they'd already worked with the manufacturer when they were installing it because it was not adhering properly. I elected not to reinstall it as I honestly think there isn't enough contrast between the blue paint and black stripes unless in the direct sun. This resulted in the bed looking like it had darker paint. It would have looked MUCH better on the original white I'd ordered before changing to Atlas Blue.

I do not want to name the manufacturer as they've apparently been very responsive with the detailer and the detailer says the manufacture is solid and this is unusual. He said this was obviously cut out of a bad batch of vinyl which he said was NOT 3M which is what he uses.

I installed my bed cover a few weeks ago but with travel for work I haven't taken the time to post about it so here it is.

Let me start by acknowledging there is a plethora of options out their for bed covers and about as many opinions out there for what's the "correct answer". The best product for someone's needs could be the absolute worst for others. I choose the TruXedo Sentry CT tonneau cover as the best fit for my needs/wants which are listed below for anyone interested in what drove my decision.
  • Weather protection
    • Note I did not say water proof as I consider this generally unrealistic without significant effort (drain holes and tailgate sealing) and unnecessary. If something is that sensitive and it is going to rain, I'll put it in the cab.
    • I'm not aware of any cover that doesn't afford decent weather protection. Some leak more than others in the corners so minimize the risk by putting the more sensitive items in the middle of the bed when loading it.
  • Full bed access
    • I haul stuff all the time in my truck and need full use of my bed including tall items. This really excludes anything such as the Diamondback cover
  • 5th wheel /gooseneck towing
    • I have a 5th wheel camper that I'm changing out to use a gooseneck ball
    • This also eliminates the Diamondback cover
    • I seriously considered the BAKFlip MX4. A friend of mine has this and said he would not buy it again because it blocks his camera making hooking up 5th wheel and gooseneck difficult.
  • Security
    • Let me preface by stating that I'm a Physical Security Consultant and managing risk for a living and I see everything in terms of risk management. This is last in my list because I don't consider it as big of an issue. For instance, to maximize security using a Diamondback cover and loose the full bed access and use of 5th wheel and gooseneck is not a good tradeoff.
    • I'm not in a high crime area and going back to risk management, I have no intention of taking a $90k + mods truck and more importantly my family to a high risk location. I strive to live in condition yellow. I personally know someone who adamantly argues that a vinyl cover is vulnerable to anyone with a knife cutting the top open and taking anything. Yes it is vulnerable to that attack; however, everything is out of sight - out of mind and most crimes are crimes of opportunity which is why Police tell you not to leave valuables like purses and laptop bags in plain sight in your vehicle.
  • Warranty
    • Bottom line, warranty matters. I keep my trucks so I want products that are going to last.

On my last two trucks I used the Truxedo Lo Pro and it met all the needs above. I would occasionally get a little moisture in the front corners of the bed. I used these for 15 years 250k miles between the two trucks and never had anyone cut them open with a knife or steal anything out of my truck. The Truxedo Lo Pro is also a great value at $530 and a LIFETIME warranty and yes they actually stand behind their warranty. When I bought my last truck and was looking for a cover for it, the local shop reminded me about the warranty, I showed him my tired 9-year old cover, he took a few pics, called the manufacturer and in 5 minutes a whole new cover was on its way and they swapped them out for free. You really can't beat that service or value.

I seriously considered the RetraxPro XR. I really liked everything about it especially the t-track rails to have the ability to later add Yakima towers and rooftop tent if I get into overlanding like I want to. I could not however give up the room in the bed for the canister.

The TruXedo Sentry CT tonneau cover checks all my boxes. We received 3" of rain Mother's Day weekend and the inside of the bed was completely dry. This cover rolls up so the cargo camera provides good coverage of the gooseneck ball and I get full access to the bed for hauling large items. The aluminum slats provide increased security from what I've used in the past. It has a 5 year warranty. The icing on the cake is that it looks VERY clean and low-profile.
20220505_201556.jpg

20220521_201901.jpg

I finally got around to installing my mud flaps . I apparently ordered the wrong ones so I had to reorder them. The correct part number is "HUL-58476 - Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps" this is the one WITH OE fender flairs. I got mine from Real Truck and they've been great to deal with and were ever gracious enough to allow me to return the incorrect ones even though I was well past the return window.

I went with mud flaps for taming rocks. I felt this was particularly necessary since I have the AMP power running boards. The standard Tremor ones would have provided more protection.

On an install note, I found the metal retaining clips to be a PIA to install. It was much easier and faster to use the optional screws Husky included.
20220521_201813.jpg

20220521_201821.jpg

I finally got around to installing my mud flaps . I apparently ordered the wrong ones so I had to reorder them. The correct part number is "HUL-58476 - Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps" this is the one WITH OE fender flairs. I got mine from Real Truck and they've been great to deal with and were ever gracious enough to allow me to return the incorrect ones even though I was well past the return window.

I went with mud flaps for taming rocks. I felt this was particularly necessary since I have the AMP power running boards. The standard Tremor ones would have provided more protection.

On an install note, I found the metal retaining clips to be a PIA to install. It was much easier and faster to use the optional screws Husky included.
View attachment 53261
View attachment 53262
Those look very nice! It was a toss up for me between these and Weathertechs... I hadn't seen many Husky's installed at the time so went with the latter but these are a great choice. I really like the bevel around the perimeter!

Those look very nice! It was a toss up for me between these and Weathertechs... I hadn't seen many Husky's installed at the time so went with the latter but these are a great choice. I really like the bevel around the perimeter!
I had WeatherTech floormats in my last truck and liked them. I decided to try Husky out on this truck and I'm glad I did because after a month of use I really prefer the more rubbery feel of the Husky mats. My OCD then said I needed to stick with Husky and not mismatch and I like the look of the Husky mud / rock flaps.

View attachment 53261
View attachment 53262
How are the Husky mud flaps? I’ve read reviews that these don’t fit the tremor models?

How are the Husky mud flaps? I’ve read reviews that these don’t fit the tremor models?
They fit great as long as you order the correct part # HUL-58476 and you must specify the ones for O/E fender flares. "W/ O/E Fender Flares"

Now for the stuff everyone looks for in build threads...

I see my mods as falling into the following three categories and I'll list my intentions / plans under each. Though I fully admit there are overlaps between them.
  • Aesthetic
  • Performance
  • Utility
Aesthetic
These are the things that look great or personalize the vehicle to the individual.
  • She has an appointment at the beauty salon (detailer) on 4/4 for the following
    • Full PPF - This could be considered "Utility" but it exists to protect the investment by keeping her looking great
    • Ceramic coat - far easier to keep her clean and shiny
    • Ceramic tinting the windows
    • OG Innovations Battleborn American Flag (OG-BTLBRN-TK)
    • Relocating the Tremor decal to the front doors to eliminate the conflict with the flag and changing the decal
    • Gloss black "Super Duty" on the hood (Tufskinz)
    • Chrome delete off the power running boards
    • Chrome delete the tailgate handle
    • Black vinyl insert on the tailgate
    • Blacking out the Ford Ovals
    • Blacking out the 6.7L Power Stroke badge on the doors
    • Black powder coating the tailpipe
  • I may also do the following
    • Gloss Black glovebox letters (Tufskinz)
    • I'm not loving the factory door sill protectors. I don't know if I'll do something like the V1-cut Tremor decals or the Bushwacker piece which give a lot more protection. I'm very open to thoughts and feedback...
Performance
These enhance the performance of the vehicle in some way such as on the dyno or off-road performance. I'm pretty practical (coming from the guy who just dropped $90k on a truck) so I won't do too many performance mods. I'm already impressed by the power of this beast and I've only put 40 miles on her. While I think she'd look awesome with 37's like several members have already done (I'm a little jealous), I need to maintain the height for the camper and towing. If we ever change to a bumper tow camper soon before I need new tires I may sing a VERY different tune. Though I fully admit that the lift and 37's are probably more aesthetic than performance for me because I don't know when I will reach the limits of the off-road ability of the stock truck.
  • These are all some-day
    • S&B 60 gallon tank - be nice for long camping trips
    • S&B Cold Air Intake
    • S&B Cold Side Intercooler Pipe

Utility
This is improving what a truck is for and since I use my truck for real truck stuff (not just going to the grocery store there are things that make it function better.
  • Rubber floor mats (in hindsight I should have ordered the carpet delete too)
    • I have WeatherTech in my Ram with no issues or complaints
    • I ordered Husky X-act Floor Liners this time. After install I can say I like the grippy rubber feel of these better
  • TruXedo Sentry CT Tonneau Cover
    • I have the TruXedo Lo Pro on my last 2 trucks. It has a lifetime warranty and when I bought the one for my Ram they inspected my then 9 year old cover and replaced it for free before I sold that truck. Can't beat that!
    • The Sentry CT only has a 5 year warranty but I like it and the upgrade to aluminum slates
    • Their could be an entire forum on pros and cons of various covers. They all have pros and they all have cons.
  • On-board air compressor
    • Viair Corporation 20002 - VIAIR Continuous Duty Onboard Air Systems
    • I have a Viair system on my 2016 Ram and I've used it plenty to adjust tire pressures for loaded or unloaded and plaenty of bike tires and such when camping.
    • I think this is essential gear for any HD truck to air up your own tires. Self-serve air at service stations usually top out at 50 PSI which is too low for any HD trucks.
  • Receiver hitch
    • On my Ram I have the B&W with no complaints whatsoever. However, it is a 2-1/2" receiver and I don't want the slop of the reducer
    • Probably going with the WeighSafe (even though their is no scale on their 2 ball hitches) but rather because the aluminum is 1/2 the weight of the B&W
  • Gooseneck ball
    • B&W for the win
  • Storage Organization
    • This is one that my MegaCab Ram wins out and is a hard pill to swallow. I had under seat storage but almost a full 10" of space behind the rear seat to store gear. I have several Husky toolbags (B&W hitch, recovery gear) with tons of room to spare and throw jackets and such on top of them.
    • I'm looking to leverage a bunch of BuiltRight panels for organization both in the bed and potentially under the seat
  • Mud Flaps
    • With the AMP power step (so my wife can get in) the front tires have a much greater risk of kicking rocks up the side since the factory running boards can't stop them
    • I ordered the Husky ones
  • Rear Auxiliary Lights
    • I have a set of Rigid SR-Q Pro's on my Ram and they've been very nice the few times I've working behind the truck at the trailer of camper. VERY BRIGHT
    • May be going with the Rigid SR-Q, SR-M, or Baja Designs S2 Pro LED Work/Scene
  • NOCO Plug
    • For the block heater. Beautifully clean and simple.
  • Anderson SB175 connector by the hitch
    • Adding this for the flexibility to use a rear hitch mounted winch or power a winch on the front of my flat bed trailer
  • Forscan mods
    • More details on this later. Lower priority.
This is a pretty complete list of my thoughts and plans for now. Subject to many changes based on what I see on everyone else's build threads and the What did you do to your Tremor today? thread.
Love the color and great mods. Enjoy her.

They fit great as long as you order the correct part # HUL-58476 and you must specify the ones for O/E fender flares. "W/ O/E Fender Flares"

Ordered! Thank you!

This weekend I was finally out late enough on an empty stretch of road to take some night photos of my BD lights that replaced the OEM fog lights. I took pictures in an open field and in the woods. The pictures don't do the driving lights justice; the difference between high beams and adding the driving lights is like driving in daylight. The biggest difference with both the fog and the driving lights is softening Ford's extreme cut-off which in my opinion should have a softer transition.
  1. Low-beams
  2. Low-beams and amber fogs
  3. High-beams
  4. High-beams, amber fogs, and driving lights
I hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• Field, 1-low beam.jpg
    Field, 1-low beam.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Field, 2-low and amber fog.jpg
    Field, 2-low and amber fog.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Field, 3-high beam.jpg
    Field, 3-high beam.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Field, 4-high,fog, & driving.jpg
    Field, 4-high,fog, & driving.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Woods, 1-low beam.jpg
    Woods, 1-low beam.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Woods, 2-low and amber fog.jpg
    Woods, 2-low and amber fog.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Woods, 3-high beam.jpg
    Woods, 3-high beam.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Woods, 4-high,fog, & driving.jpg
    Woods, 4-high,fog, & driving.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 22
This weekend I was finally out late enough on an empty stretch of road to take some night photos of my BD lights that replaced the OEM fog lights. I took pictures in an open field and in the woods. The pictures don't do the driving lights justice; the difference between high beams and adding the driving lights is like driving in daylight. The biggest difference with both the fog and the driving lights is softening Ford's extreme cut-off which in my opinion should have a softer transition.
  1. Low-beams
  2. Low-beams and amber fogs
  3. High-beams
  4. High-beams, amber fogs, and driving lights
I hope this helps someone.
Nice pics! The woods shots really illustrate the differences between low/high well...

Nice pics! The woods shots really illustrate the differences between low/high well...
Thanks!

You really need the lights to illuminate something to understand the differences. It also really highlights to cutoff seeing the light to complete darkness.

Back