Grill guard or new bumper for Tremor with factory winch?

Doc C

Tremor Member
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2022 F250 Tremor
Instead of installing a winch myself, I ordered the factory offering from Warn. In researching grill guards, I discovered that most won’t work with the factory winch option. Anyone have any experience or work around?

Unfortunately I don’t have an option for you, but wanted to give you the heads up that the Ford winch isn’t using a standard mounting pattern. Thus it cannot be mounted into any aftermarket winch bumper without modification.

My understanding is that standard winch mounting is 10”x4”, whereas the Ford winch is 8”x4”.

Good grief Charlie Brown! I need a winch and a grill guard! Anyone want to buy a new Tremor winch?!?

I just installed a new aftermarket bumper on my ford tremor with the factory winch and yes there is some fab you have to do to get it on but it can be done

It can be done still not done have to install the fair lead

Attachments

• 20210911_080349.jpg
    20210911_080349.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 313
Dang this was the information i was dreading to hear. I ordered factory to retain the warranty, clean look, tucked in out of way and no sensor issues ect. Now looking back id like to have a bumper for protection. I hate the look of the bumpers that stick out 2ft to accommodate a winch. Was hoping that with the winch fitting into the factory winch cavity would open a market for low pro off-road bumpers that protect and retain or improve angles.:(

To further complicate things, the factory winch is a 8 X 4 1/2” pattern and standard is 10 X 4 1/2”. Can’t mount grill guards because factory winch mounting interferes. I looked at the ranch hand midnight series bumper but it’s not available short term. So, I’m mounting a Westin grill guard and relocating the factory winch to the winch tray on the grill guard. I’ll have to drill new holes in the tray to accommodate the special bolt pattern. All I can say is good grief. If I’d known I wouldn’t have ordered the factory winch.

Yes not aware of odd bolt pattern either... what a shame and crazy that Warn out of everyone would do this with them leading the winch market. Guess if things don't workout have to make a custom plate and put the winch in my rock crawler.:sneaky:

I thought about doing the same thing with my jeep, but figured I’d try to adapt it to the winch mount on the brush guard instead of buying another winch. I already have a winch on the jeep, I just don’t like it.

Dang this was the information i was dreading to hear. I ordered factory to retain the warranty, clean look, tucked in out of way and no sensor issues ect. Now looking back id like to have a bumper for protection. I hate the look of the bumpers that stick out 2ft to accommodate a winch. Was hoping that with the winch fitting into the factory winch cavity would open a market for low pro off-road bumpers that protect and retain or improve angles.:(

You don't need a bulky, cow killer bumper to have a winch. My Addictive Desert Designs bumper has a winch option, although I didn't order that option. It may work with a factory winch, I can't say for sure.

Shackles 1.jpg

Shackles 2.jpg

You don't need a bulky, cow killer bumper to have a winch. My Addictive Desert Designs bumper has a winch option, although I didn't order that option. It may work with a factory winch, I can't say for sure.

View attachment 34661

View attachment 34662
That is a clean looking bumper. Makes the truck look good. Unlike some of the 1970s designs out there.

I just installed a new aftermarket bumper on my ford tremor with the factory winch and yes there is some fab you have to do to get it on but it can be done
Was there enough metal to just drill 4 new holes to keep it centered or did you drill 2 and use 2 that were already there with the winch offfset a little?

@Nick@ApolloOptics factory winch or aftermarket winch compatible?

Aftermarket on the Stealth Fighter for sure.

Maybe we can get the factory winch on the HoneyBadger as it's a larger bumper with more room.

1632428000460.png

1632428024874.png

Ford states that the Warn winch used on the Ford Performance kit is a "unique" Warn 12k winch and they don't give us the model. If we were able to get the dimensions of the winch used, I can possibly send that to ADD and get a confirmation.

Still burns me up this is such an issue. I do see the problem tho the winch bumpers are designed to attach to frame and hold a winch. The factory winch setup would be attached to the frame. The problem with non winch bumpers which would be similar in bulk to the factory and some would probably clear the winch but then they wouldn't support the function of the fairlead. Then there is the problem of the "Special mounting pattern".... If truck arrives with winch not factory mounted gonna tell them to keep it and refund me my money already a headache and i don't have truck yet.

The winch is a dealer installed option. So if you don’t want them to install it tell them that.

Based on the fitment requirements I think Warn and Ford did what they could. And I’m not surprised it’s non-standard. I’d bet that cost and the adaptive cruise sensor were the limiting factors.

Still burns me up this is such an issue. I do see the problem tho the winch bumpers are designed to attach to frame and hold a winch. The factory winch setup would be attached to the frame. The problem with non winch bumpers which would be similar in bulk to the factory and some would probably clear the winch but then they wouldn't support the function of the fairlead. Then there is the problem of the "Special mounting pattern".... If truck arrives with winch not factory mounted gonna tell them to keep it and refund me my money already a headache and i don't have truck yet.
I was told that since it’s on the invoice, it is part of the build charge. Mine came in with it installed. Not sure who installed it.

🤦‍♂️ Great these are the same clowns that took 2mos to replace my ignition and both door handles when my truck was stolen.... and they still not right....

Back