GPS Speed limit dispay

Jay D

Tremor Fanatic
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2021 F250 Lariat Tremor 6.7
Current Ride #2
2017 F250 Lariat 6.7 and 2017 Harley Road King Special
I'm not sure if it's just in my area (Galveston/Houston area), but my GPS displays the speed limit on the road I'm traveling on. Well I received a ticket the other day for 70 in a 55. my GPS was showing 65MPH speed limit. I asked the officer was he sure it was 55, and he said it had been for years. I rarely travel this road so wouldn't know either way. The next time I went down that road, I looked and sure enough it was 55. My software and everything shows up to date and no updates available. This is a bit of a problem, because I began using the GPS over the actual signs for convenience, but I obviously will not be doing that anymore. I also notice my speedometer shows 1mph slower at 50mph than the digital ones on the side of the road (mainly in construction/school zone type environments) so I clocked it compared to a GPS speedo app, and sure enough it is off. Is anyone else noticing this? The way I look at it is Ford and I got a ticket :ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

I've noticed it being wrong on occasion as well. I mainly use it as a backup if I'm somewhere new and havent seen a sign in awhile, there are several roads around here that change speed in different sections for no apparent reason except to hand out tickets...

It’s my understanding that it is not GPS-based, but recognizes standardized speed limit signs. If there’s a vehicle blocking the camera’s observation of an updated sign, the system will not recognize it.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche all operate this way.

For me it's wrong much of the time because of how much construction Miami is under.

It definitely uses the camera and usually gets it right for me when not in a construction area. I have had it miss a sign on occasion but it usually picks up the next sign. If you watch the box that shows the current speed limit as you pass a sign with a different limit it will change right after you pass the sign.

I just noticed mine being wrong a few days ago saying 35 in a posted 25 zone. I also notice my digital speedometer is 1mph less than my nGuage display. Very strange since it would only make sense they are pulling that data from the same place. I chalked it up to one of lifes little mysteries.

I do not think it is reading the signs. It is using what it has in its GPS data. When it gets old it will be wrong. In small towns at times it will never show the speed limit even though you are passing signs all day long.

I do not think it is reading the signs. It is using what it has in its GPS data. When it gets old it will be wrong. In small towns at times it will never show the speed limit even though you are passing signs all day long.
Ford has been offering this for more than a decade in Europe.

No manufacturer I'm aware of uses GPS for speed limit data. There's no centralized database of speed limits in this country. When a municipality changes a speed limit, they don't have to report it to anyone. The same holds true with temporary speed limits for construction zones. There is no way for GPS speed databases to ever remain accurate.

Yes, i totally agree with this. These maps are stored in the GPS along with all the data.

Ford has been offering this for more than a decade in Europe.

No manufacturer I'm aware of uses GPS for speed limit data. There's no centralized database of speed limits in this country. When a municipality changes a speed limit, they don't have to report it to anyone. The same holds true with temporary speed limits for construction zones. There is no way for GPS speed databases to ever remain accurate.
That video is discussing something different than the GPS. I believe vehicles are definitely capable of this, but not in the programmed or database of the GPS in these superduties. These things run on stored data that is obviously not updated as often as it should be. When I'm in a construction zone the GPS speed display does not drop at the big 45mph sign (or whatever the limit is), it remains the normal speed limit on that road.

I understand it's discussing something other than GPS. I'm unconvinced that Ford is pushing GPS-based speed data. That would make them an outlier in the automotive manufacturing community.

GPS-based speed limit information is generally reserved for portable devices that have no means of observing actual standardized speed limit signs through a suite of cameras. I have zero allegiance to manufacturers, and consequently have had more than 70 cars in the past twenty-five years. At least ten of them have had speed limit information, and every single one of them got their source information from cameras, not a GPS database. They also flip when encountering construction zones that use signage that conforms with the federal MUTCD.

If fact, Ford's site now clearly states that Speed Sign Recognition is tied into what they're calling Copilot 360:

"Available on select Ford vehicles is a series of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) features employing advanced radar and camera technology.10 ACC lets you set a cruising speed and distance from the vehicle ahead of you. When it slows down, you automatically do too; when traffic picks back up, you resume your preset speed and distance. Then comes ACC with Stop-and-Go, which enables you to come to a complete stop when the vehicle ahead stops. * Now add Lane Centering, which scans the lane markings to help you stay in your lane if the system detects you’re drifting out of it. And that’s not all. Now there’s Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control, which includes all of these features plus new Speed Sign Recognition that can automatically adjust the set speed of your vehicle to the posted speed limit."

No mention of GPS-based speed limit appears anywhere on Ford's site.

I understand it's discussing something other than GPS. I'm unconvinced that Ford is pushing GPS-based speed data. That would make them an outlier in the automotive manufacturing community.

GPS-based speed limit information is generally reserved for portable devices that have no means of observing actual standardized speed limit signs through a suite of cameras. I have zero allegiance to manufacturers, and consequently have had more than 70 cars in the past twenty-five years. At least ten of them have had speed limit information, and every single one of them got their source information from cameras, not a GPS database. They also flip when encountering construction zones that use signage that conforms with the federal MUTCD.

If fact, Ford's site now clearly states that Speed Sign Recognition is tied into what they're calling Copilot 360:

"Available on select Ford vehicles is a series of Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) features employing advanced radar and camera technology.10 ACC lets you set a cruising speed and distance from the vehicle ahead of you. When it slows down, you automatically do too; when traffic picks back up, you resume your preset speed and distance. Then comes ACC with Stop-and-Go, which enables you to come to a complete stop when the vehicle ahead stops. * Now add Lane Centering, which scans the lane markings to help you stay in your lane if the system detects you’re drifting out of it. And that’s not all. Now there’s Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control, which includes all of these features plus new Speed Sign Recognition that can automatically adjust the set speed of your vehicle to the posted speed limit."

No mention of GPS-based speed limit appears anywhere on Ford's site.
I believe the Tremor is different. I pass a road sign every day that has been in the same location for over 12 years. It reads and has always read 50. My Tremor incorrectly states 55 mph before, while passing, and after passing the sign reading 50. If it uses cameras to determine the speed limit, they are horribly incorrect and need reprogrammed.

The speed limit data is gps is driven by satellite. the cameras aren’t picking up traffic 10 miles down the road, the “real time” information is collected through satellite . I’m personally not talking about the advertised speed limit in the cluster. I’m willing to bet that Ford uses a third-party GPS database, and to have a feature on the truck merge it’s data with a third-party database is hard to believe.

You're conflating speed limits with traffic speed. Traffic stopped or flowing ten miles down the road has no relevance to speed limit.

That said, until Ford actually states with specificity where the data is coming from, neither you nor I know.

You're conflating speed limits with traffic speed. Traffic stopped or flowing ten miles down the road has no relevance to speed limit.

That said, until Ford actually states with specificity where the data is coming from, neither you nor I know.

If you are really curious you could cover all the forward facing cameras up and see what it does. :D

I had a 300 mile drive home after picking up my truck Saturday. It’s a drive I’ve done maybe a hundred times in my life by now. A portion of the drive is roughly 100 miles of two lane that until a year ago was posted at 60, but thankfully changed to 65. Throughout that whole section of the journey the truck was telling me the speed limit was 60.

Stand-alone GPS units from Garmin have had speed limits pre-programmed into the software for a decade or more. Not sure why the same approach being utilized by Ford is such a provocative topic.

I had a 300 mile drive home after picking up my truck Saturday. It’s a drive I’ve done maybe a hundred times in my life by now. A portion of the drive is roughly 100 miles of two lane that until a year ago was posted at 60, but thankfully changed to 65. Throughout that whole section of the journey the truck was telling me the speed limit was 60.

Stand-alone GPS units from Garmin have had speed limits pre-programmed into the software for a decade or more. Not sure why the same approach being utilized by Ford is such a provocative topic.
Yes. This is my point. I got a ticket for relying on my 2021 vehicle that is showing me speed limits from years ago. I'm not blaming this because I'm sure I missed the actual sign, but I would expect a more up to date information. Thank you for sharing.

OK the Speed Limits don't come from the Satellites in space with lasers or what not to you're truck. Speed data is stored in most mapping software and data. Every thing is on major roads is surveyed. Now how often do they update this and then the time it gets pushed to for civilian use who knows.

OK the Speed Limits don't come from the Satellites in space with lasers or what not to you're truck. Speed data is stored in most mapping software and data. Every thing is on major roads is surveyed. Now how often do they update this and then the time it gets pushed to for civilian use who knows.
I may be wrong about the speed limits being satellite, but the position and other info comes from the satellites in space with lasers.. ok maybe lasers is a bit childish, but with radio signal.

Back