Got caught out in the hail!

Muddyz

Tremor Fiend
Reaction Points
Current Ride
2020 F250 6.7 Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate Sport Tremor Iconic Silver
Current Ride #2
2009 F150 5.4L King Ranch
Well it’s Texas so shouldn’t be shocked that it hailed in February. I mean it was 84 degrees warmer this week than last week so why not?

It is supposed to be cloudy and rain for the next few days so will be a few before I can wash it and see the damage. Anyone else get caught out around DFW tonight?

Attachments

• F4BE0F0D-BEAD-46C9-A11D-D8C81398871E.jpeg
    F4BE0F0D-BEAD-46C9-A11D-D8C81398871E.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 318
  • 28E4AC31-20F1-49AF-AB96-D01B94079F22.jpeg
    28E4AC31-20F1-49AF-AB96-D01B94079F22.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 0A9E0F52-6E61-466C-A3D2-5810312A282A.jpeg
    0A9E0F52-6E61-466C-A3D2-5810312A282A.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 267
  • 9E5F920A-4668-41C0-9D37-EA37B713FA1E.jpeg
    9E5F920A-4668-41C0-9D37-EA37B713FA1E.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 272
Ouch, that sucks, hoping it is not bad. In 2013 I lived in Killeen, had just bought a new 2013 F250, had it about a month, huge hail storm. The hood looked like a kid played on it with a ball peen hammer. I took it to a place that did the paintless dent removal, and they did an amazing job, I couldnt find one spot that even remotely looked damaged. So, if is damage, there are some wicked good places that can fix your beast back to new.

I had over $4k worth of hail damage to my F150 within 6 months of delivery. It sucked watching and not being able to do anything as we weren’t home where it’d been garaged.

The wife’s SUV was sitting next to it also since we drove separately. I think hers was only $3k.

I watched my truck get hammered in Richardson, TX a few weeks ago by nearly golf ball sized hail for about 3 minutes. I was surprised I had no damage. I don't know if the aluminum deflects better that steel, is harder, or what, but a Ram parked next to me had pock marks all over, and I had nothing.

I hope you made it through without damage! Mine is in the Garaj Mahal right now near downtown, and I think I won't get weather/hail until about 1am. The truck will be fine, but I hope my roof will be left intact.

Ed

We got a little bit of hail last night. It wasn't much. Just pea sized stuff. It was kind of a treat for me. I don't get much hail around my neck of the woods.

In Wyoming that's not hail! THIS is hail! (July 2017)
IMAG0022.jpg

Fortunately vehicles were garaged and only a few at my house so no roof damage. The surrounding area wasn't so lucky... shattered windshields and total destruction. That clear one with spikes I call "Hell Hail."

View attachment 18127

Fortunately vehicles were garaged and only a few at my house so no roof damage. The surrounding area wasn't so lucky... shattered windshields and total destruction. That clear one with spikes I call "Hell Hail."
OMG thats going to hurt bad

View attachment 18127

If we’re going to have a hail measuring contest (ha!), when I was a kid we had grapefruit sized hail come through the roof of our travel trailer that we were in during a storm in north Texas! Don’t have photos of that one though.

I love the idea, but hail happens so randomly sometimes that it’s tough to think through the logistics of getting that thing on and ready in time
I hear, ya but better to have a fighting chance than to just sit and watch it get hammered.

View attachment 18127

Just add Whiskey

I love the idea, but hail happens so randomly sometimes that it’s tough to think through the logistics of getting that thing on and ready in time

You can augment that with an app like Radarscope. I use it to track storms as they roll through my neighborhood. Couple that with a weather radio for extra advanced warning, and you will have ample time to get it setup and installed. With a little practice, I am now able to tell with fairly high confidence whether I will get struck with hail or not 30-60 minutes in advance. That's plenty of time to deploy the hail protector thingamabobber. Of course, YMMV.

Hail sucks....and since I cannot get my truck in the garage I already ordered one of these.... https://hailprotector.com/

Speaking of which, that thing looks pretty neat. I've toyed with the idea of getting something like that in the past, but I've never had actual hail damage yet (knock on wood). Also, handling one of those looks like a giant pain. They seem very bulky and hard to stow and deploy. It's one of those things where it'd make sense to deploy before the storm front rolls in. I can imagine it would be nearly impossible to deploy without an army of minions after the wind gusts and rain begin hammering the driveway.

But again, that's just my imagination. I've never used one of those before. Please report back and prove my initial assessment incorrect. I love the idea of only spending $600 rather than $1000 on my deductible plus increased insurance premiums.

Back