JC_Tremor

Toasty
Founding Member
Reaction Points
Military
USN
Current Ride
Focus ST
I'm looking at Scag as a brand as there is a local Kubota place that sells the brand. I'm looking for a zero turn mower but don't necessarily need one. Any brands or specific mowers that you've had few or no issues with? Someone suggested John Deere, but I believe they're overpriced. Ideas? I'm not one for lawn maintenance but it looks like I'll soon have to be.

You are likely to get s many opinions as there are mower brands with this one.....my John Deere (Z425) was $3,200 in 2010, has 550 hours on it over 10 years with no problems at all - and I do not have a Carli lift kit on it.

Goats work well and are zero maintenance
I'm not going to have that kind of land. I'm moving but not to somewhere outside of town, yet I'll have a good amount of lawn to cut, under an acre. A push mower would take too long and a good 61" mower deck would be overkill.

I like the goats idea but at this juncture, it isn't a feasible option.

I'm not going to have that kind of land. I'm moving but not to somewhere outside of town, yet I'll have a good amount of lawn to cut, under an acre. A push mower would take too long and a good 61" mower deck would be overkill.

I like the goats idea but at this juncture, it isn't a feasible option.

There are a lot of zero turns in the 48’-52’ range.

I'm looking at Scag as a brand as there is a local Kubota place that sells the brand. I'm looking for a zero turn mower but don't necessarily need one. Any brands or specific mowers that you've had few or no issues with? Someone suggested John Deere, but I believe they're overpriced. Ideas? I'm not one for lawn maintenance but it looks like I'll soon have to be.

I have a 2017 John Deere zero turn with the Kawasaki engine (Z540M). No problems, runs like a champ, hauls some butt too! I have 3 acres with a lot of trees so I went a little smaller one - 48in. I was also considering a bad boy, lots of good reviews on those.

z540m.jpg

There are a lot of zero turns in the 48’-52’ range.
Indeed, I'd prefer something less than $5K that is reliable.

I appreciate the help and any information.

Indeed, I'd prefer something less than $5K that is reliable.

I appreciate the help and any information.

I bought my used for $3500. I believe it was 2 years old with around 35 hours. I think that's the way to go.

Get a Hustler Raptor 42”. They have been making zero turns longer than any manufacturer out there. 42” is perfect for 1 acre.

Zero turn is the way to go.

I've had a John Deere Z960M with the Tweels, Air-ride seat and a 72 inch deck for the past 5 years. Awesome machine, but gotta pay for it. Cost around $13k new. I use it to cut 5.5 acres of grass/field.
Z960M.jpg
First cut.jpg

I hadn't considered Hustler, seems like a relatively cheap alternative to slightly higher end ones that cost $7K. The John Deere z425 doesn't seem bad either; I've seen it at local Lowe's for under $5K.

Thank you everyone for the insight and suggestions.

driftwoodsvt, badass mower, overkill for me.

I love lowes. However i feel buying mowers and stuff from box stores i get less quality as if i went to a local dealer. I know its in my head. But you also build the report with the dealer. So more willing to help you down the road.

I love lowes. However i feel buying mowers and stuff from box stores i get less quality as if i went to a local dealer. I know its in my head. But you also build the report with the dealer. So more willing to help you down the road.

And most of the local dealers also work on them if you ever need anything repaired or warrantied.

That's what I wanted...local dealer sells kubota and other brands like SCAG and that's partially why I wanted to go with that brand. Hustler is sold by a Stihl dealer close by me called Butler Rental and Sales. Have to find out if they do repairs on mowers.

...one more thing - check top ground speed - I can smoke my buddies Hustler with my JD.....

I have '14 Scag Tiger Cat 2 52" and they are really built well and heavy. I was looking at Kubota but decided on Scag after it was highly recommended by a friend at a dealership here in Houston . they are not cheap but with the right maintenance and new blades regularly it should last me 20+ years .

Back