Going back to a 6.7

I may be able to offer personal experience with owning the following vehicles:

Various F150's
2017 and (2) 2019 Raptors
2019 Platinum 6.7L F250 Fx4
2021 F250 6.7L Lariat Tremor
2021 F150 3.5L Platinum Powerboost
2021 F350 6.7L Platinum Tremor

Overall I loved the Raptors the best, even for towing my 21ft and 28ft travel trailers. The only reason I went back to the 6.7L Tremor is strictly due to the payload limits. Both Raptors towed and stopped perfectly through the Colorado Rocky's and through 55 MPH wind gusts in North Dakota.

That said, the worst towing experience I've ever had was with the 2021 F150 3.5L Platinum Powerboost. It had a 2.0 coilover Fox suspension kit, 285/75r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, and e2 WDH hitch. I've only tried towing my 21ft travel trailer with this setup and you could feel the load. The truck swayed and it felt unstable going above 60 MPH. Worst of all, the fking truck could not get better than 7 MPG, yes 7 MPH, going against headwinds and at 60 MPH. My Raptors easily maintained 10-12 MPG with similar headwinds and while cruising at 70 MPH.

I didn't tow with my 19 F250, but it had the snow package that made the front suspension stiff. I hated that truck because of the major bump steer when hitting bumps or pot holes. Needless to say, I sold that truck with 1700 miles. That said, both of my Tremors with tire air pressures of 60F/65R rode very comfortably. While towing with my current Tremor I can't say that it rides like the Raptor, but it's really close. I don't plan on changing the suspension, but I do have 20" Methods on order. I'm still debating if I'll sell them when they arrive since I don't want to stiffen up the ride...we'll see.

In conclusion, I'd suggest lowering your tire pressures, adding a few thousand miles to your tires, and then see how you like the truck before changing the suspension. It will be a night and day difference from your 18 F250. Also remember, what the Superduty lacks in suspension, it makes up for it with ? power g-force and smiles. :)
Thanks for you suggestions Cire!
I would guess that you'd know that a F150 with 35" tires and a level is not going to get very good fuel economy especially when towing anything. The Raptor will tow better than your truck with those tires just because of the big difference in axle ratios(4.30 vs 3.73) and it'll stay out of the turbos better when pulling.
My '21 Powerboost pulled "ok" for a gas half ton and got "ok" fuel economy(10-12) with a 7K lb trailer. That's about what I expected with 33.5" E rated tires.
I'm not trading my Powerboost because I expected it to do "better". I'm trading it because I want to get back to 1000+ ft lbs of torque!!!!
I miss the 6.7....don't need it, just miss it.

We use to have the 3.5 eco fun to drive but shitty on gas and for an f150 it was a rough ride The tremor with the 6.7 and stock suspension is way smoother and more planted than the F150 ever was welcome back to the diesel side they’re bad ass love mine ??

Some great info has been shared in this thread, especially that long write-up from @Regular Cab Duallies!

I personally run an Icon Stage 5 2.5" kit on my 2019 F-250 Platinum and we carry both Icon and Carli. If you'd like to discuss some of these suspension setups in more detail, please let me know. I've also personally owned a 2013 Raptor and 2018 Raptor so I've got some comparative experience there as well. If we can help, feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to help get you dialed in.

You guys are friggin awesome! You've given me all of the information I could ask for to make an educated decision about my '22 Tremor.
At least I've got plenty of studying time between now and when it arrives!
BTW, it's really refreshing to find a forum like this with lots of "grownups".......not many like that these days!

Some great info has been shared in this thread, especially that long write-up from @Regular Cab Duallies!

I personally run an Icon Stage 5 2.5" kit on my 2019 F-250 Platinum and we carry both Icon and Carli. If you'd like to discuss some of these suspension setups in more detail, please let me know. I've also personally owned a 2013 Raptor and 2018 Raptor so I've got some comparative experience there as well. If we can help, feel free to send me a message and I'll be glad to help get you dialed in.

What would you say the primary pros/cons are with Carli vs. Icon?

My brother is my Ford
"At least I've got plenty of studying time between now and when it arrives!"

I love a well crafted understatement! You prolly have time to
also learn Chinese Algebra while you're at it!
My brother is my Ford dealer so he at least keeps me informed regarding order status. I've been through the process many times!

What would you say the primary pros/cons are with Carli vs. Icon?

One of the main things that shows to me is how high you want to go and whether or not you want coilovers. With Icon you can do a 2.5", 4.5", or 7" kit and you have the option to go with spring/shock or full coilovers on either kit. With Icon, you also have the option to do a 4-link on the front axle or a radius arm setup, whereas Carli only offers a Radius arm setup.

Now, I think Carli is a little more dialed in on certain things. For starters, all of their kits include additional brake lines and Icon doesn't include them on their leveling kits. I think they should as my brake lines are tighter than I would like. But, they can be added as a separate line item.

I also think Carli knocked it out of the park with their Torsion bar system, sway bar end links, adjustable radius arms, and their long travel rear air bags.

The both have different ways of doing their steering stabilizers. Carli offers a single on the axle and a single high mount. Whereas Icon has the old school dual steering stabilizer on the axle mount.

That said, you can also mix and match a lot of components. I have the Icon Stage 5 2.5" kit, but I'm looking to add the Carli Torsion bar up front and change out my rear leaf springs as well.

Another big thing to keep in mind, Carli will ride better for the gas truck guys, unless you plan on getting the shocks re-valved. Icon is only valved for diesels at this time. So if you've got a 7.3L, that's something to think about as well.

Well gents, a couple more options have just come out. Icon has now released specific kits for the 2020+ trucks. There's a lot of good info that Icon already summed up, so I'm going to drop it down here for you all to read:

To sum it up, for 2020 trucks they have a re-designed coil spring that now lifts the correct height, before their kits measured 0.5" higher on 2020 non-Tremor models.

For the Tremor trucks, the advertised heights will be 1" lower for 2020+ setups. It also looks like Icon is going with gray shocks bodies instead of silver so that's different as well.

Hope this info is useful to you. As a reminder, we are a full Icon dealer and keep a number of their kits in stock. Not sure yet on these 2020+ springs. We also carry the full Icon Alloys wheel line as well.

Latest Discussions

Back